SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

Sage 6.2 memory use

Sage 6.2, Service, XP SP2... Latest Java VM...

Running fine for many weeks.
Memory use over 200MB.
Stop, then restart Sage Service.
Now memory use is 90MB.

Is this just Java procrastinating garbage collection? Or a memory leak?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Or in the course of those many weeks of uptime, you've viewed a lot of thumbnails and loaded a lot of images into the image cache.

I wouldn't expect the memory footprint right after a restart to be typical of the long-term steady-state memory footprint.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Sage Icon

viewing images - no, I use only TV recording. I haven't configured photo viewing, nor do I play music.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Even TV recordings have thumbnails in the current UI, unless you've disabled that feature or are using a different UI.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume Memory Usage figure you mentioned is the Windows Task manager memory usage column -- ie RAM usage/working set, not total allocated memory.

Frankly, on a VM system, this can be considered a random number as RAM will be swapped in/out depending on system and other process's memory requirements. VMSize is a more useful indication of a process's memory usage, as this indicates total allocated memory (both swapped in and out)

Anyway, on my Client (so no recording engine, no MVPs etc), after startup and playing a video, my VM size is 190Mb. (Memory usage varies between 40-140Mb depending on what is going on).

Note that only 97Mb of this is Java managed memory -- the rest would be allocated by native code, windows DLLs, video filters etc.

(If you really want to monitor memory usage, try my cpu/mem plugin -- it monitors RAM, VM, JVM usage for Sage, as well as the system, and can graph it over time)
Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
I assume Memory Usage figure you mentioned is the Windows Task manager memory usage column -- ie RAM usage/working set, not total allocated memory.

Frankly, on a VM system, this can be considered a random number as RAM will be swapped in/out depending on system and other process's memory requirements. VMSize is a more useful indication of a process's memory usage, as this indicates total allocated memory (both swapped in and out)

Anyway, on my Client (so no recording engine, no MVPs etc), after startup and playing a video, my VM size is 190Mb. (Memory usage varies between 40-140Mb depending on what is going on).

Note that only 97Mb of this is Java managed memory -- the rest would be allocated by native code, windows DLLs, video filters etc.

(If you really want to monitor memory usage, try my cpu/mem plugin -- it monitors RAM, VM, JVM usage for Sage, as well as the system, and can graph it over time)
virtual or real memory, no matter, if the number increases steadily with time, there is a problem, right?
(And you spoke of the client whereas I'm discussing the server - XP service.)
It has not been a problem with impact. Just wondering.
I will make a habit of stopping and restarting the service every couple of weeks

Last edited by stevech; 12-18-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

If it never stops increasing then yes you have a problem. But you will usually see it reach a plateau. 200 MB is not unreasonable for SageTV. Mine is always around 180-200 MB. I run it for months. The only reason I usually reboot is to install an update. (Sage or Windows) I think the longest I went without a reboot was like 6 or 7 months. (Server)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
virtual or real memory, no matter, if the number increases steadily with time, there is a problem, right?
I'd say it depends on what sort of increase you're seeing. A linear increase with time might indicate a problem. An asymptotic increase that converges on some maximum is not a problem. With just the two data points you've given, it's not possible to tell what sort of increase you have, or even whether it's a monotonic increase at all. For all we know it could be fluctuating randomly between, say, 50 MB and 250 MB, and you just happened to sample it at the 90 and 200 marks.

So unless you have more data points you're not showing us, I think it's premature to conclude that there's a problem. If what you're seeing is normal, then restarting periodically won't help, and might actually slow things down by flushing caches that didn't need to be flushed.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

My service also gets up there but plateaus and doesnt' seem to be an issue.

I've only really had two memory issues, which weren't the fault of sagetv.

1) Leaking handles by Java 1.5.0 (until it was fixed in one of the later releases 11 I think)

2) Leaking handles from my POS artecDTV driver.

I do think that that Media Server software uses a lot of memory by design (caching/indexing data and whatnot). I recently tried out TVersity and it was using more than sage was...

E
Old 12-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Sage Icon

OK. I had read about leaks in Java. It is so hard to write software without leaks due to Microsoft's OS.

So it looks like 200MB is not unusual (!)

Last edited by stevech; 12-18-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

The amount of memory used also has to do with how large of a media library you have. Someone with a few thousand songs such as myself. I had to increase the default JVM Heap Size because I was bumping into the 200MB limit. My current JVM heap is as follows (Used/Total/Max) 187MB/247MB/533MB. I don't know that my server ever gets close to the 533MB max but it does get above the 200MB default max. I started noticing it when my MVP and Placeshifter were running kind of sluggish. Increasing the heap size made both much more responsive.

I'm of the opinion that it's probably time for Frey to consider increasing the default JVM heap size. It seems to me that because storage is so large and cheap now more people are bumping into that 200MB limit than they once were.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone seen VM usage like this during HD playback?

System is

XP sp3
2gb ram
Sage 6.4x
SageMC
Nvidia 8600 gts

server/playback on same system. ( no extender used)

System usually lists 1.0+ GB free system memory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (152.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
So it looks like 200MB is not unusual (!)
It's about half mine which does oddly start out about 90mb as well. I have several hundred recordings and favorites, several thousand songs and photographs and 10 sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web interface
Available: 720.77 GB
Used: 754.49 GB
[Auto-Delete Recordings]: 396 recordings using 442.76 GB
Next 48hrs has 49 upcoming requested recordings requiring: 112.14 GB
Total Video Content: 274.69hrs
Those numbers may seem somewhat strange because I use SJQ to compress everything to xvid so my average file is closer to 500mb.