SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Sage User

HD Extender no HD sound and choppy video

My HD extender is connected via HDMI to my TV. SD seems to work fine. However, my HD content (recorded or live) have no sound and are choppy. Actually, the recorded content plays fine for 15 seconds, then the audio goes away and the video gets choppy or starts to skip (looks like fast forward). Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just put my HDHR back online and now i'm seeing the same problem. My HD Extender is also connected via HDMI. I think the video is running a litter faster when the sound cuts out. If I pause or skip the video and sound sometimes comes back on for a few seconds.

I know the program is recording correctly because I can play it fine on a laptop with a Sage Client. The laptop is also connected to the same switch as the extender, but it drives the TV over VGA.

One odd thing is that sage transcoder is listed in the task manager. It looked like it was taking a few percent and my total percent was close to 60 the first time I tried to watch the HD show. I stopped the show and waited for the server to settle back to 1-2% cpu usage and tried again. Still choppy and w/o sound, but the server only showed about 40% usage average.

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Sage User

You may be on to something with the transcoding. BTW, I switched from HDMI to component video and same issue. The recording starts playing fine then alternates between too fast and too slow with no audio.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

I recorded an SD show from the HDHR and (after it finished recording) played it back via the extender. It exhibits the same problems on the HD Extender but is fine on my Laptop client. I also noticed that playing back the SD show still needed 40% cpu from the server.

Does anyone have any ideas?

-pez

PS. I'm going to find an HD snippet to download and see if that works.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found the solution here post 3, after reading many threads. I never would have thought to search for "double time video".

-pez
Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up

I had already made the following change:

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

to no avail. I am using a Hauppauge HVR-1600 card recording ATSC signal. However, completely deleting my sage.properties file and starting my setup from scratch cured the problem for new recordings. The old HD recordings still have the issue. I may try to "recode" them. If I do I will post my results.