SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
No problem I uploaded the wrong/older images by accident so relook
Now I hate it.

Still looks good - clean and simple is the direction the Sage UI needs to go to compete with some of the other UI offerings out there.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
Now I hate it.

Still looks good - clean and simple is the direction the Sage UI needs to go to compete with some of the other UI offerings out there.
I don't know that there is one genreal direction everyone has their choice. Some will like phoenix some will like ortus some will like sagemc still and some will like default (got me on the last one)
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I don't know that there is one genreal direction everyone has their choice. Some will like phoenix some will like ortus some will like sagemc still and some will like default (got me on the last one)
I should have said "polished and refined". You are right - some people want every last piece of information on their screen, and some people want bare-bones.

However, to compete for the target audiences of XBMC, Boxee, etc., I think simple and clean is what they are looking for.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

It's kind of people's taste in cars. Some like low-riders, some like old fashioned hot-rods, some like Mustangs.. but there are some cars which look soooo good, fast, and well engineered, that they are unarguably attractive for 99% of everyone's taste. Who is going to say that a brand new top of the line red Ferrari doesnt look good with all the controls inside to look like a spaceship without too much clutter?

From an STVi designing standpoint, generally, if you can thoughtfully design screens that are as simple as possible (in respect to user navigation), with the landscape to accommodate the most amount of information while using tasteful aesthetic graphics, I'm sure everyone will agree that they like it . I can see someone designing a screen focusing on asthetics so much at the very begining, that when it comes to adding any extra information on the screen, the screen looks too cluttered or messy.

Quote:

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Agreed Mine does have information I am on the wrong computer today as I am moving but I did manage to get another shot with scrolling text enabled. It gives you the 4 last movies/tv/music whatever you are on scrolling across the top. I think the key is to minize the effect of the information but still have it there. But it is a fine line between cuttered and simple.

cheers

Menu3
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I will just chime in with my 2c. I wish I was a programmer because one of my wishes for the sagetv UI is simplicity/get the UI out of the way of my media. I don't think that's the trend, which is to add more and more. I would like to turn on my tv and go straight to tv, not a menu. Most of the time I turn on the TV, it's to watch it, not to select from a bunch of stuff. Then, when I need a menu, have a unobtrusive menu that does 80% of what I need do 80% of the time so I can easily switch to the EPG, videos, music, etc. Just a bar accross the bottom of the screen would be fine. Then, if I want to play a recording/movie/music/etc. take me to a separate menu/screen.

As for fancy graphics etc., I like them as much as the next guy, but given that the extender is reasonably priced and a noisless/fanless and cool running piece of equipment, I would not trade noise and heat and $ for shinier graphics.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

What you want is super easy. It doesnt need a programmer. I wanted this exact functionality for my Netbook, so when open the lid to my netbook (when I'm driving in my car), i can start watching cableTV full screen... changing the channels with my cell phone's mouse buttons.

Send me a PM and I'll try to help you get it going.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
I will just chime in with my 2c. I wish I was a programmer because one of my wishes for the sagetv UI is simplicity/get the UI out of the way of my media. I don't think that's the trend, which is to add more and more. I would like to turn on my tv and go straight to tv, not a menu. Most of the time I turn on the TV, it's to watch it, not to select from a bunch of stuff. Then, when I need a menu, have a unobtrusive menu that does 80% of what I need do 80% of the time so I can easily switch to the EPG, videos, music, etc. Just a bar accross the bottom of the screen would be fine. Then, if I want to play a recording/movie/music/etc. take me to a separate menu/screen.

As for fancy graphics etc., I like them as much as the next guy, but given that the extender is reasonably priced and a noisless/fanless and cool running piece of equipment, I would not trade noise and heat and $ for shinier graphics.

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 09-02-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
(when I'm PARKED in my car)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, thats what I meant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

***RIP SageTV***
Old 09-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Saw you driving to work today. Nice shirt.

Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Haha.. seriously though, I mainly listen to sageTV on my bluetooth earpiece (usually the local TV news for upcoming traffic/commute issues, weather, headlines ...only glancing at it time to time. Or, sometimes I'll switch to my car speakers via bluetooth as well for Slimplayer (Sirius Radio Howard Stern, Pandora, Slacker, etc). Very harmless. Definitely not as bad as watching a full length Comcast On Demand HD HBO movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Saw you driving to work today. Nice shirt.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Haha.. seriously though, I mainly listen to sageTV on my bluetooth earpiece (usually the local TV news for upcoming traffic/commute issues, weather, headlines ...only glancing at it time to time. Or, sometimes I'll switch to my car speakers via bluetooth as well for Slimplayer (Sirius Radio Howard Stern, Pandora, Slacker, etc). Very harmless. Definitely not as bad as watching a full length Comcast On Demand HD HBO movie.
Sounds like you need to ditch the laptop and go to a real carpc... (http://www.mp3car.com)... much safer to use a real 'designed for car' front end...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, once there's SageTV for it. That's the whole point.. There's nothing that comes close to what I can do that's designed for car front end. Probably some years from now there might be a media center client (most probably for back seat passengers). I do sometimes put my tiny netbook in the back seat and glance at it through the mirror.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to ditch the laptop and go to a real carpc... (http://www.mp3car.com)... much safer to use a real 'designed for car' front end...

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 09-05-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
SageTVaholic

I dunno, I pull up Placeshifter just fine on the 7" touchscreen in my truck. It actually works pretty well with touchscreen controls. Some STV tweaking would make it a little smoother, (making buttons bigger) but for the most part, it's served me well.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Ohhh... I didnt realize there was a "full PC builtin to the car" product! The product on saw on mp3car didnt look like a real Windows PC. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
I dunno, I pull up Placeshifter just fine on the 7" touchscreen in my truck. It actually works pretty well with touchscreen controls. Some STV tweaking would make it a little smoother, (making buttons bigger) but for the most part, it's served me well.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 AM
SageTVaholic

well, it's not usually so much a 'product'... most are VERY custom built systems. For me, I've got a Atom330 based PC built into my center console, with a 7" touchscreen molded into the dash. I'm using StreetDeck for music, video, dvd, HDRadio, and Navigation, and have PlaceShifter set up as an 'External Program'.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I've been busy beavering away on my new screens and thought I'd share a few images of some of the screens that I'm working on. The collection of imports/screens is going to be called Ortus and will contain new screens for Music, Movies, Photo's and TV. Each screen will have a list, cover flow and movie wall type view and a standard menu system between all screens. Hopefully I'm not being to ambitious and it will all turn out ok

If anyone with photoshop or programming skills would like to help in this project then please PM me. I'm desperate for some graphics to be made for the menu and on-screen items.

All suggestions and comments are always welcomed
Any update on Ortus? Are you getting closer?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
Any update on Ortus? Are you getting closer?
Haha, I wish

The trouble is..... its like walking into a candy shop and seeing all the nice sweets..... you stand there looking at the sweets you'd like but there's just too many to choose.

Ortus is the same.... we change our minds so often about the look and function it seems like we're going round in circles......we will get there though, eventually.

The team has grown by 2 (PluckyHD & Razorsharp) so hopefully we will make better progress now.

Cheers

Ben

Last edited by jaminben; 09-18-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

PluckyHD,

The WAF addon looks fantastic! I know from other posts you are in the middle of a move. With the new TV season underway, I can't wait to get my hands on this!

Thanks for the good work.

Dan
Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
well, it's not usually so much a 'product'... most are VERY custom built systems. For me, I've got a Atom330 based PC built into my center console, with a 7" touchscreen molded into the dash. I'm using StreetDeck for music, video, dvd, HDRadio, and Navigation, and have PlaceShifter set up as an 'External Program'.
Cool fuzzy, I have a very similar setup in my car -- Atom based PC in my trunk; lilliput 7" touchscreen in the dash, etc. I'm using RoadRunner instead of streetdeck. Pretty slick setup, but definitely many hours of effort went into it. I tell ya, I would love to have wireless internet so I could hook into sage from my car but I'm too damn cheap to pay the 40/mo or whatever it would cost.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my setup:

-Justin