SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tweaking video playback settings

I'm pretty clueless about the inner workings of Sage, but have had to tweak my player settings a little bit lately. I've seen others around here debating the merits of using other decoders, and that's piqued my interest.

I was wondering if anyone would care to give me some advice on optimizing my own settings, or recommending other decoders I might like. It will help me learn more about what all of these do and how best to use them.

Thanks in advance.

Here are my current settings (I just updated to 6.3.5.159 with SageMC 6.3.6b, if that matters, and my video card is an evga 8600GT):

Video/Audio
  • Video Renderer: VMR9 (other options: Default Video Renderer,Video Overlay Renderer)
  • MPEG2 Video Decoder: SageTV MPEG Video Decoder (other options: Default, InterVideo Non-CSS Video Decoder for Hauppauge, SageTV MPEG Video Decoder, ffdshow MPEG-4 Decoder)
  • SageTV MPEG Video Decoder uses DXVA: No
  • MPEG4 Playback: SageTV Player (other options: DirectShow)
  • DScaler Deinterlacing Filter: Disabled
  • Audio Renderer: Default (other options: SigmaTel Audio1, Default DirectSound Device, Default WaveOut Device, DirectSound: SigmaTel Audio1, DirectSound: SigmaTel Audio2, SigmaTel Audio2)
  • MPEG2 Audio Decoder filter: Default (other options: AC3Filter, InterVideo Non-CSS Audio Decoder for Hauppauge, MPEG Audio Decoder, SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder)

DVD
  • DVD Video Renderer: VMR9 (other options: Default Video Renderer,Video Overlay Renderer)
  • DVD Video Decoder Filter: Default (other options: InterVideo Non-CSS Video Decoder for Hauppauge, SageTV MPEG Video Decoder, ffdshow MPEG-4 Decoder)
  • DVD Audio Renderer: Default (other options: SigmaTel Audio1, Default DirectSound Device, Default WaveOut Device, DirectSound: SigmaTel Audio1, DirectSound: SigmaTel Audio2, SigmaTel Audio2)
  • DVD Audio Decoder Filter: Default (other options: AC3Filter, InterVideo Non-CSS Audio Decoder for Hauppauge, MPEG Audio Decoder, SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder)
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

The sage decoder is generally considered to be pretty poor. I would download the trial of the nvidia purevideo deocoder and try it. I would stay with vmr9 and definitely enable 3D acceleration.

In detailed settings make sure sure and set the nvidia decoder as the mpeg decoder. I have heard that the latest versions of sage will use the sage decoder if you set "default."

HTH

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Sage Expert

I couldn't get the latest version to use the Nvidia decoder until I unregistered the Sage decoder dll. DECCheck, set as default etc etc made no difference.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same here, the only way I can get sage to use the nvidia decoder is to unregister the sage decoder and set MPEG Video Decoder in sage to default

Whitey
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SS View Post
I couldn't get the latest version to use the Nvidia decoder until I unregistered the Sage decoder dll. DECCheck, set as default etc etc made no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Same here, the only way I can get sage to use the nvidia decoder is to unregister the sage decoder and set MPEG Video Decoder in sage to default
Hm. I shut down sage, installed the Purevideo Platinum trial, restarted Sage, and the Nvidia added a couple of options to my decoder list. I don't really notice any difference, TBH, but it seems to work for me without any troubleshooting.