SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Xbox 360 Vista Ultimate Setup

I have an xbox 360 and my pc running vista ulimate. I just setup sagetv and want to connect the xbox 360 up to it to stream some movies and music. Is this possible. I disabled the firewall, went through the entire config, and searched the manual for xbox but didnt find anything on how to set this up. Nothing shows up on the xbox as far as sagetv goes. I can see the zune and twonky and the pc's. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Sage User

only vista media center can stream things the way you are thinking.

the only way to stream music and videos to the 360 outside of vmc is through simple windows file sharing.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlapaglia View Post
only vista media center can stream things the way you are thinking.

the only way to stream music and videos to the 360 outside of vmc is through simple windows file sharing.
Not exactly sure what you are asking but you can definitely stream content from your pc to the 360 via Zune software, WMP 11, VMC, OR Windows Homer Server.

As far as Sage goes though, I do not know of anything that can enable to the 360 to see Sage content on your pc.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I haven't seen any.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Sage User

isn't all sage content saved on the hdd in a regular folder though? just enable sharing of the folder and hook it up through the 360. make sure it's a format it can play also.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Anyone found out if there is a way to make this work with the 360? IE: use sage media center software and see the video files on the 360...

I know tversity works with the 360.. i'm hoping there is a way to do this as well (and stream DVD content stored on the PC to the 360?)
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
Anyone found out if there is a way to make this work with the 360? IE: use sage media center software and see the video files on the 360...

I know tversity works with the 360.. i'm hoping there is a way to do this as well (and stream DVD content stored on the PC to the 360?)
With the new codec support, you do not need Tversity for a majority of formats to stream from PC to 360. Sage is a whole different story. Here is what 360 supports through WMP 11, Zune, or WMC

Scenario

Supported Codecs

From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player

WMV(Unprotected),

Mpeg4,

H.264,

AVI

From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player

WMV(Protected),

WMV(Unprotected),

*Mpeg4,

*H.264,

AVI

From Zune Software to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player

WMV(Unprotected),

Mpeg4,

H.264

From Windows Home Server to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player

WMV(Protected),

WMV(Unprotected),

AVI

From Windows Media Center to Xbox Media Center Extender

WMV(Protected), WMV(Unprotected),

Mpeg2
Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmokramer_XXX View Post
With the new codec support, you do not need Tversity for a majority of formats to stream from PC to 360. Sage is a whole different story. Here is what 360 supports through WMP 11, Zune, or WMC

Scenario

Supported Codecs

From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player

WMV(Unprotected),

Mpeg4,

H.264,

AVI

From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard Video Player
I'm not using Tversity anymore myself.. just media center / media player 11 from Vista.. if i connect through Media Center option on the 360.. any of my VIDEO_TS folders are not playable on the 360.. i was hoping the software version of SageTV HD would allow this on the 360...

Actually even most of my AVI's wont play on the 360 via media center..

I've tried to get them to play just from the VIDEO folder option on the 360, outside of media center, but even there they wouldnt.

Certainly the VIDEO_TS folders didnt as well.

I did manage to get an mpg file created by capsVHS to play on the 360, with 5.1 sound too.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Sage User

I'm not sure about AVI files, but I had no problems playing MPG files (recorded in Sage) on my 360. Naturally, I couldn't use the Sage interface, but I just shared the folder out in Vista MC, and was able to stream them through MC on the Xbox.

As far as VIDEO_TS goes, the Xbox360 does not support streaming in this format. You will have to convert it to a single MPG file (problematic) or a DVR-MS file (much better solution as it allows ff/rew and has less audio sync problems).

What I did was rip the DVD's as a single VOB file, then use VideoRedo to convert that to a DVR-MS. You lose the menus and extras, but you do get to stream the movie.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Sage User

Just curious, but you've already got Ultimate and a 360, why not use MCE? I use that particular combo and love it. The only reason I am looking into SageTV is because I want to run a full client/server setup with WHS at the center. MCE has a ton more features and functionality plugins than SageTV and almost all of them are accessible on your 360. Heck, I've been struggling through 2 trial periods to just replicate the bear minimum functionality I get with my MCE setup in SageTV, and failing.

I really, really do not want to offend anyone, but I am very curious. I would think that the cost of Ultimate and a 360 would be the reason you wouldn't want to setup a MCE system (understandably) but if you already have it, then its essentially all free so I can't help myself from really wanting to know why.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

One main feature that all MCE extenders are missing is they cannot stream native VOB files (dvds) from a PC. This to me is big deal. Sagetv is more customizable then MC. The Sagetv HD extender starts up a heck of allot quicker then any MCE and that includes the 360. The new hauppauge hd pvr is not supported my MCE (may in the future). As for the 360 that thing is just way to loud to be a valid media extender if my house.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Slightly OT but how does one access shared folders from a 360? My sage server is just XP, no MC or Zune.

S
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

You dont share folders through sagetv. It has to be through either vmc or xpmce or if you dont have either then Windows media player. There is a setting in there to allow sharing to devices.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Sage Icon

OK, so the term "shared folders" is not refering to standard Windows network file and folder sharing and the 360 is unable to browse the network for computers and shared folders.

I have seen the option in WMP 11 to share music. Does it work as a service so that a 360 can access content without logging on to the server and starting WMP 11?

S
Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

You do not need windows media player to be open to stream to the 360. As long as the computer is on and windows sharing is turned on your good to go. Make sure you allow the 360 to share via windows media player.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
I'm not sure about AVI files, but I had no problems playing MPG files (recorded in Sage) on my 360. Naturally, I couldn't use the Sage interface, but I just shared the folder out in Vista MC, and was able to stream them through MC on the Xbox.
The 360 will play a fairly good range of file types including standard Divx and xvid. I will easily play MPG files as you have noted. However has anyone tried to record an OTR HD file in sage and play it back over the 360 as HD?

Glenn
Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV + Xbox 360?

While I wouldn't use it for my primary extender or anything, I do wish we could hack the Xbox 360 to work as an extender for SageTV. It would help me convince the wife that it's a good purchase right now - especially with the amazingly cheap deal going on right now for the Xbox 360 Holiday Bundles.

Is it possible to stream recorded files from SageTV to the 360 at least?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Hmm, replying to my own post - it doesn't look promising. Looks like the limited file support (of the 360) makes viewing SageTV content on the Xbox360 a difficult venture indeed. Guess I need to stick with true extenders for that purpose...