SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageMC, DVDs, and Placeshifter...

Ok, so far I've received some great feedback on my questions while I'm evaluating SageMC and I've found most other information on my own. However, there seems to be a lot of threads on DVD library type information and I've been reading all day without a clear answer. One of the reasons I started down the road with BTV was for Beyond Media and the DVD Library plug-in, along with the other little things like the weather, music, photos, etc. I started evaluating SageMC this weekend but now after reading countless threads I've determined that it doesn't really do what I want either--or does it? I'm so confused. My primary media server is a dedicated machine in a rack in my basement that is not used for viewing at all. I wanted to use Placeshifter and/or extenders for the other TVs in the house. The servers has three DirecTV receivers and two HVR-950 OTA tuners. All that seems to be working good. However, it's now my understanding that Placeshifter cannot play DVDs (assuming it only works on the actual SageMC server?). Then I read a thread that says that a MediaMVP *CAN* play DVDs (didn't say it uses SageMC to do it so I have no idea if it's really what I want).

What I really want is a good centralized DVR and Movie library system that is stable. I know I can rip the DVDs down to MPGs or whatever, but I was hoping for ISO storage or just copying the DVDs into folders and let the system index them (I didn't really want to have to manually enter the movie info).

I've looked at My Movies, which looks like what I want, but then I'm back to my original issue--running two apps that may or may not be stable.

Can someone clear the air on this and not post something vague, i.e. assume I'm clueless, perhaps it will help others, as well.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

First of all, the word "SageMC" doesn't mean what you think it means. The product is called SageTV Media Center, or SageTV for short. SageMC is the name of a third-party replacement UI for SageTV. I believe SageMC has some DVD library features that the stock SageTV UI doesn't have, but I'm not an expert on SageMC.

As for playing ripped DVDs on extenders and other clients: have you read the Similar Threads linked at the bottom of the page? Have you read Appendix I of the SageTV manual? Note that Placeshifter is not your only option for PC-based clients. SageTVClient is a more capable client for local LAN use, and can play back ripped DVDs on the server.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
First of all, the word "SageMC" doesn't mean what you think it means. The product is called SageTV Media Center, or SageTV for short. SageMC is the name of a third-party replacement UI for SageTV. I believe SageMC has some DVD library features that the stock SageTV UI doesn't have, but I'm not an expert on SageMC.

As for playing ripped DVDs on extenders and other clients: have you read the Similar Threads linked at the bottom of the page? Have you read Appendix I of the SageTV manual? Note that Placeshifter is not your only option for PC-based clients. SageTVClient is a more capable client for local LAN use, and can play back ripped DVDs on the server.

...forest for the trees, my friend...THANKS!

EDIT: Oh man, am I ever happy! The DVD thing isn't quite what I was hoping for, but at least it seems to work well. I figure there are more plug-ins and other stuff to make it robust, so I'll keep searching. I don't see me going back to BTV as long as this proves to be stable.

Last edited by mrwolf; 01-20-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post

Yes but placeshifter can play back wmv, asf and sagetvclient can NOT play back wmv and asf from a server.
There's a limitation where WMV, ASF andWMA files can't be streamed from a SageTV server to a SageTV Client. Theclient has to have the same drive mappings as the server; and then they canbe played back (it'll treat them as a local file). (interestingly theplaceshifter doesn't have that limitation because it doesn't use DirectShowfor playback)

so if you want to see all your media you have to go with placeshifter without dvd playback or you go with sagetv client and you have all except asf and wmv
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh, rumor control time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperke View Post
Yes but placeshifter can play back wmv, asf and sagetvclient can NOT play back wmv and asf from a server.
There's a limitation where WMV, ASF andWMA files can't be streamed from a SageTV server to a SageTV Client.
Not true. I have a number of WMV and WMA files that I play back though my SageTV client just fine. You just need to have UNC mappings.

Quote:
Theclient has to have the same drive mappings as the server; and then they canbe played back (it'll treat them as a local file). (interestingly theplaceshifter doesn't have that limitation because it doesn't use DirectShowfor playback)
yes, but- All you have to do is make sure that the import directories are UNC (e.g. \\SageTV\Video, as opposed to d:\videos), and all clients will be able to work just fine- you don't have to make any client-side changes or anything. If you're using a client server setup, you really should use UNC paths for import and recording directories, for many, many reasons (comskip, for instance).

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor

Last edited by Halstead; 02-06-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Editied for clarity
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage User

Where do i change that unc path..i can not do it in STV client cause when i go up a few directories, and see all my pc's in my network..i see..server..but when i click it, i will not go into the server.
Do i have to alter that in the properties file in the saga dir?
I run whs so my vids etc are on d:/ movies etc.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

That sounds like the PC does not have permissions to that directory on your server.. This was the original diagnosis to your problem. Make sure your d:\movies directory is shared on the network (little hand icon on it) and check the "Allow network users to change my files".
Instead of browsing you can also specify the directory in the format \\Server name\share\directory. If your server name was Media and you left everything to defaults it would be \\Media\movies\movies. (By default Windows will name the share the name of the directory you are sharing.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.