SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

VLC to view recordings from network computer??

Has anybody tried to view SageTV recordings with VLC? I realize that SageTV provides the functionality to do this with the placeshifter software, but what if you just want to access your recordings and don't need or want live tv?

I'm thinking it should be possible just by sharing the recordings folder and accessing the appropriate file from the network computer. I've do this with a couple other computers, as I've currently got my video/audio collection stored on another computer.

Anyone tried this?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't use VLC, but I do share my Sage recording folder and use WMP, VideoReDo, and assorted other apps to open files over the LAN. It just works. Why wouldn't it? In fact if you configure Sage to use a UNC path for the recording folder, this is exactly how SageTVClient accesses the files.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I kind of figured that was the case.

I guess I should have been more specific. I just wondered because the file sizes are quite large, and I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I mean, a file encoded as Great (2 GB/hr) ends up pretty big, right?

I'm connecting via a wireless network. I'm just wondering if people have used VLC and whether the files play okay or not--either via a wired or wireless network.

Perhaps the easiest way is just to try it.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use VLC to watch files across the network as they are recording -- works great (100 mbit LAN).
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

There's a way to encode and playback videos that someone made (the name escapes me), but it's included in the sage webserver that nielm wrote. The videos will stream through VLC. The only problem is that the encoding is realtime, so you'd need a hefty processor for higher quality encodings. There's a thread for the webserver in the customizations forum.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you all.

These were exactly the kinds of answers I was hoping to get.

Spartan, can you tell me if you did anything special to make this work? For example, did you change the recording quality from the Default?

I'm thinking that I will play around with it as soon as I have a chance.

Steve