SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Card reader question

When I built my HTPC, I purchased a card reader to install in it and I been trying to get SageTV to use it as one of the folder to import and display/play picture/video/music from whenever there a card inserted into it.

I did add a drive letter in the import path in the setup but the problem is when I insert a card it does detects and import whatever was on the card however when I remove the card it still stay in the SageTV which I was hoping it would clear it from the listing.

I am running SageTV as a Service so any trick or tip to get this setup working the way I wanted?

Thank you
Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Nobody knows?

Is anyone even using card reader on SageTV running as a service and also running client GUI on the same htpc?

Can you share how you set up your card reader on SageTV and does it detect medias when you insert in it?

Thank you
Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 AM
SageTVaholic

When you import media files into Sage, it assumes that you want them to be a permanent part of the media database. Import folders aren't meant for temporary browsing of removable media; use Browse Media Files for that.

If you do choose to add a removable device as an import folder, and you later decide you don't want those files in the database anymore, insert blank media into that drive (using the same drive letter), so that Sage can see that the files are gone; then it will remove the DB entries.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Imported files are not removed when a drive disappears because otherwise files would go away whenever a network drive that is being used for imported media disappears temporarily. When a rescan is performed & SageTV can see that the files are no longer in an existing readable path, then they will be removed from the import list.

There is a StorageDeviceAdded hook that gets fired when a new drive letter is seen. If inserting a card creates a new drive letter, then a customization could be made to do a library rescan. (But, I have some card reader drive letters that don't go away, so inserting a card doesn't cause that hook to fire anyway.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Imported files are not removed when a drive disappears because otherwise files would go away whenever a network drive that is being used for imported media disappears temporarily. When a rescan is performed & SageTV can see that the files are no longer in an existing readable path, then they will be removed from the import list.

There is a StorageDeviceAdded hook that gets fired when a new drive letter is seen. If inserting a card creates a new drive letter, then a customization could be made to do a library rescan. (But, I have some card reader drive letters that don't go away, so inserting a card doesn't cause that hook to fire anyway.)

- Andy

Yeah The card reader I got is an internal reader and it already created the drive letters when I installed it.

So my choice would be either to use browse media files or to find a card reader that does not create drive letters but add a temporary drive letter when a card is inserted into the reader?

Perhaps in next version a feature request of a force rescan option where I can force SageTV to rescan after I insert the media card and force a rescan again when I remove the media card to update the db. So no blank media is needed.

Thank for your inputs!
Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software