SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Guide button not working on Firefly Mini

I'm trying to get to where I have single button to bring up the program guide. I have tried using the default Snapstream drivers as well as the LM Remote Keymap utility. I tried to teach SageMC the action for the guide button, but it does not work. The green LED on the Ir receiver lights up when I hit the guide button like it's receiving signal, but SageMC does not pick it up at all. I have tried different buttons and they work. It just seems like the Ir signal from the Firefly Mini Guide button does nothing. It did work when I was using BTV, too. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey mrwolf,

I'm not sure if there's a real simple way to do this, but just in case no one steps in with one, I'll give this a shot.

Have you tried using EventGhost? It's free and it works well for remapping your remote buttons. It has a Sagetv plugin in the beta software. Just look for it on their homepage.

I was using it with my Hauppauge remote and it worked fine. I'm now using it with my universal remote. I did a quick search and see that you can use it with the Firefly Mini.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not yet...I was trying to keep it simple. I actually have about all the functionality I need with it the way it is, I was just trying to keep it simple and a one-button Guide access is key to improving WAF. I may have to go that route if no one has any suggestions.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey mrwolf,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I guess I will anyways.

You can have your one button push access to the guide and only in one step, so to speak.

I'm not 100% sure you know how easy it is to set up and use EventGhost. It's pretty easy.

1. Install
2. Add Sagetv and Usb-uirt plugins (right in the menu)
3. Press a button and drag the command from the log to the action you want in Sagetv (they're on the right side).
4. Repeat till you're done (about 10 minutes for me).
5. Save your configuration.
6. Sit back and enjoy. My wife uses it without knowing how it works. She just presses a button and it works.

You may have to add an additional plugin for the firefly mini (the HID one), but I'm not quite sure about that.

It doesn't take too long, and once your done, your done.

Done beating the dead horse.

Good luck.

Steve
Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with it. I use it in my bedroom with a USB-UIRT to turn my tv on/off. Stability goes up with the fewer applications that are installed/running and I'm shooting for the highest possible WAF factor. I also don't like to give up on issues when I know it shouldn't be a problem. Notice the name -- "I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems."

Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey mrwolf,

I was researching your problem today and I came across the following knowledgebase article at SnapStream:
http://snapstream.helpserve.com/inde...articleid=1435

Basically, it says that another device might be picking up the command, such as a keyboard. If you've got a keyboard with special buttons mapped to programs or functions, it could be the problem according to this article.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven017 View Post
Hey mrwolf,

I was researching your problem today and I came across the following knowledgebase article at SnapStream:
http://snapstream.helpserve.com/inde...articleid=1435

Basically, it says that another device might be picking up the command, such as a keyboard. If you've got a keyboard with special buttons mapped to programs or functions, it could be the problem according to this article.

Steve
Appreciate the try, but nada. The keyboard is a basic usb keyboard with no special keys and there's nothing else connected except a basic optical mouse (no special buttons). It also works with BeyondTV Link ok, I just switched the exe that the firefly button launches and uninstalled BTV Link. On my Harmony 890 remote I have a Guide and Menu button that both worked in BTV, but neither of these or the Guide button on the real FF mini do anything except make the Ir light on the receiver come on. I haven't had time to test more thoroughly, yet. Might be more than it's worth too...probably end up back to the suggestion of EventGhost.