SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Digital Analog Channel Conflicts

I bought a new Hauppuage WinTV 1800 PCIE Analog/QAM/ATSC Card.
I live in Oakland, CA and I have comcast as a cable provider. I do not have a settop.

1. I added the analog source first, selected Comcast Extended, and autscanned for all the channels. It found all 75 and the program guide was correct. I could pause, record and playback. Nice!

2. I added the digital source (TS), slected Comcast Digital, and autoscanned for all the channels. It found 60 but these channels are scrambled with respect to the Comcast Channel Lineup. So I assigned channel 702 to 79-2-1 and it worked. The program guide shows 702 as the right channel with the right program info and can tune to that channel.
So great , right?

Wrong!
When I added the digital source it overwrote all the analog channels dropping some digital channels in or just white noise. Poof all my analog channels are gone. So tried some of the channel mapping functions as follows.

Lets use Channel 3 as my example:

--------------
In the Analog Source Window Channel 3 is CBS and when I preview it is CBS and looks fine.

In the Digital Source Window Channel 3 is LATV when I preview it.

In the program Guide Channel 3 says CBS but tunes to LATV.
--------------
In the Digital Source Window I remap channel 3 to 999 and channel 3 now has dissapeared from the Channel List in the Digital Source Window.

In program guide Channel 3 still says CBS but still tunes to LATV.
-----------------

The only way I can view any analog channels is by deleting the digital source.

Is this the way SageTV is supposed to work. I was really hoping to get a single list of channels in the program guide some digital and some analog.

Any one have ideas on this.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

If I understand the issue correctly, you might be able to fix it by setting up an entirely new channel lineup for the digital channels. Since you're remapping anyway, you can use anybody's lineup in your area. For example, my qam channels include one from Northern Kentucky that doesn't appear in my zap2it local listings for Cincinnati, so I kept punching in various local zip codes until I found listings for another cable co. in Kentucky that included everything I should have and the Kentucky one that makes no sense, but I want anyway.

I actually have three different lineups, the two mentioned above, and one more for OTA signals that I can get from Dayton Ohio. That's helpful because Dayton's CBS affiliate broadcasts HD with 5.1 sound, and Cincinnati's apparently does not. I used to have a fourth when my firewire tuner worked, but that's a different thread.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Okay, read your post again, and I don;t think I answered your question. Someone smarter than I can clear it up, but the way mine works is that my guide appears starting at analog two, then three, four, five, then 5.1 which is an OTA, 6, 7, 7.1 also OTA, etc. through analog 72. It then goes to 901, which is the start of my qam remaps. I think I could change those 900 numbers to something that would intersperse then through the guide better, but haven't messed with that yet.

So it can be done, but I think your issue is that you have mapped the digital to the same channel id as the analog, and sage just uses the most recent version. Maybe if you start with an entirely new zip that has your local qams it will see the difference?

I hope I'm helping, but if not, at least I bumped your thread!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I have analog tuners. I set these for Comcast Basic. For analog you're only going to get 2-99 or whatever it is. For the HDTV or digital stations I chose Comcast Digital. But I only enabled the channels that were HD or digital-channels above 100. That way I don't have any conflicts and one doesn't mess with the other. So I have 2 nVidia Dual tuners (4 tuners) handling analog 2-99 and a HDHR handling clear QAM Digital and I have the digital HDTV stations (the locals mostly-ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) with no channel issues. (High def recording is all I care about with the HDHR.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

gplasky is right. I had the same issue when I bought the Happauge 1600 and used the same channel lineup for all my tuners. Just dedicate your digital tuner a new lineup and it'll be fine.

Might I add to make things a little easier for your digital channel is to disable all the channels in your Comcast Digital lineup and "Search for Available Channels". I did this and got over 60 channels. The search takes between 1-2 hours to complete because the digital channels are after channel 100, though they show up accurately as 2-1 (FOX HD), 5-1 (CBS HD).

Once you do this, send me a message with what channels you get. I'm interested to know because I live in SF and use Comcast as well without a STB.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink Thanks for the Help

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thoughful help and brainstorming. I will be trying a few new things this evening based on all the feedback all of you have given me.

I want clarify what I think my issue is. When I add the digital source and tell it that it is Comcast Digital Exteneded. The new channel list includes channels 2-75 as digital channels and after seaching a bunch of posts here I think I understand why.

Bottom line is that I have delete both sources and edit 'Sage.Properties'
"mmc/retain_lineups_for_lost_devices=true" and change to =false

What I didn't detail in my email is that I have deleted the sources and tried different sequences but the channel memory is never getting cleared out.

So I will delete both sources completly and try to add my digital channels in manually without doing an autoseach since I have all the channel numbers. I will also try some of the other ideas outlined and then update everyone tommorow morning.

Thanks and Regards,
Old 02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

The channels there are based off of the lineup you picked for the source.

So for my digital tuner, I have the same channels as my analog tuner, but the difference is that the lineup i chose for my digital tuner is different from my analog tuner (digital = Comcast Digital Basic, analog = Comcast Basic)

The key is to disable ALL channels. If you do not disable them, then your analog channels will get screwed up. Your digital tuner should be able to pick up Clear QAM channels (2-1, 4-2, 5-1, 7-1, etc.), but the only way to do this is to do an auto-search and wait.

No green circle next to any channels your analog tuner is getting.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets3145 View Post
The channels there are based off of the lineup you picked for the source.

So for my digital tuner, I have the same channels as my analog tuner, but the difference is that the lineup i chose for my digital tuner is different from my analog tuner (digital = Comcast Digital Basic, analog = Comcast Basic)

The key is to disable ALL channels. If you do not disable them, then your analog channels will get screwed up. Your digital tuner should be able to pick up Clear QAM channels (2-1, 4-2, 5-1, 7-1, etc.), but the only way to do this is to do an auto-search and wait.

No green circle next to any channels your analog tuner is getting.
Right. Whether you have Comcast Digital Basic or not pick it. You can't get the encrypted channels or the non-clear QAM channels so you can't get them all. In your analog Comcast Basic disable all the channels first and just enable the ones you want. (They'll have a big green dot next to them) Now do the same for the Comcast Digital Basic. Disable all the channels first. Now pick your locals and aything else you may get. I get about 14 channels. The video on demand-if someone is watching something-you'll see these. But they won't be available all the time.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 02-13-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Something that I believe is not stressed enough, and a key to a problem like this (and how I personally fixed it), is that the channels you enable for the digital tuner MUST be #-#, the dash is the digital channel that your tuner should have a green dot next to. Any green dots your digital tuner has next to a regular channel (ex. 35), will screw that channel up.