SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

WHS as playback OS on primary Sage box

Currently I run a pretty simple Sage setup - Sage on Vista with two Hauppauge 350 cards. Nothing complex - all SD stuff on a tube TV; no placeshifters or media extenders. One Sage box attached to a basic TV. Slowly I'm migrating towards the newer stuff. I'm not that thrilled with Vista but I'm also not excited about going back to XP either. If I go with WHS to replace Vista, can I use my existing Sage license/software or do I have to use another version designed for WHS? And what about WHS as the box used to playback the media on? Would I be losing any capabilities by changing from Vista to WHS?

Thanks.

AWS
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Administrator

There are some recent threads on the same topic, so you may want to try doing a forum search for WHS & limit the search to "Search Titles Only", right below the text entry field. That gives quite a few results.

But, in short: the downloads page and the beta topics have links for the WHS version. And, a current SageTV license for Windows can be used for the WHS installation.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the suggestions, Andy. I know, basic forum rules 101 I did what you said and I understand the Sage/license/WHS issue now.

Search button?

What about this:
If anyone "upgraded" from Vista to WHS and uses their WHS box to actually play media back on, do you think there has been any performance gains or losses using WHS compared to Vista?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am using WHS and I don't think I would recommend it for media viewing. It wasn't designed for that. For example, I wanted to play with the Netflix plugin so I could use the watchnow feature with my MVP's. Netflix requires Media Player 11 to watch the movies. WHS will not let it be installed. Says it has to go on a Win XP box. So, scratch that idea. For what WHS was designed to do it does it very well. But don't see it being a very good media player. I am using the WHS version of Sage and that works great though... 4 MVP's, 2 client PC's, HD Homerun, etc..