SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageMC, Netflix icon and dynamic menus

I'm using SageMC 6.3.7 on Sage 6.3.5 with Morgan111's awesome Netflix plugin and I'm trying to get the Netflix icon to appear on the main menu. From what I've read, I need to enable dynamic menus to do this. When I do that I get an error that says "Failed to parse xml file C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTVsagemc_menu.xml".

I've made some alterations to the main menu layout (I've really enjoyed playing with this feature). I'm not sure if this may be at the root of the error.

So my question is two-fold:
1) Do I need dynamic menus enabled to use icons for add-ons: if not, then how else could this be done?

2) How do I get dynamic menus working? At this point I'm just kind of curious as to what I've been missing.

TIA
Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

There should be a default menu for SageMC called sagemc_menu.xml. Load this first. Now modify that however you want. Then you can add any icon to any menu. Maybe the menu file you're usong now is older and may be unusable with the newer version of SageMC.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hmm...that's an interesting thought. Maybe I'll replace the sagemc_menu.xml file with a new one from the full installer.

Thanks gplasky.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

No luck
I replaced my sagemc_menu.xml file with a new one from the isntaller but still get a parsing error when I enable dynamic menus or try and select the file.
Any other ideas?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I did not use the dynamic main menus. I just assigned netflix and the netflix icon to one of the "custom" menus included in SageMCE.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

I assigned netflix to a custom menu and it works fantistically this way, but I didn't see an option to assign an icon to it. Did I miss something?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

You might also want to make sure that you have the latest jar files from the 6.3.7 SageMC and they installed properly. If you still want to try Dynamic Menus.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

All jars appear to be current. Since this machine is just a client, I may just kill the install and start fresh. I use to wipe out this machine every few months and provide fresh installs of all my apps, but it seems that I've gotten rather lazy in the last year or so. It may be time to do it anyways. I usually use this client to test updates and changes before I roll them out to my other client and server. Who knows what kind of junk I've got cluttering up this machine. Thanks to everyone who provided feedbak, and I'll report back here once I get a fresh install of SageClient going again.

I'm determined to get dynamic menus working now (my family has always told me I'm stubborn).
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

@petereader

Post your menu definition file. I might be able to fix it for you.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you for the offer Mike,
but I just started from scratch, reinstalled sage as well as SageMC and all is well.

Although I must admit, I'm regretting the fact that I just gave myself another excuse to stay up late. Dynamic menus are fantastic! Between them and SageMC menu layouts, I have plenty to play with for a while.

So Mike, I hear your rather handy with images and design. You wouldn't happen to have a Movietimes icon that goes well with your liquid themes, would you

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereader View Post
So Mike, I hear your rather handy with images and design. You wouldn't happen to have a Movietimes icon that goes well with your liquid themes, would you

Thanks again.
I didn't happen to have one lying about, so I played around and came up with this. It isn't the greatest, but maybe it will work for you.

Aloha,
Mike

Attached Images
File Type: png hover_movietimes.png (202.6 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-22-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Mike,
You're like the Santa Claus of the SageTV world. Thank you so much . It was the only icon I was missing. You'd laugh if you saw some of the atrocities I committed trying to create one with photoshop.

Anytime I had company over and I was showing them my Sage setup, I would have to quickly explain to them why Movietimes didn't have an icon. Now I can hide my OCD again.

Regards,
Peter

BTW, it's perfect. If that's "not the best" for you, I can't even imagine what pretty good in your terms would generate.

Last edited by petereader; 02-22-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

The rendering problem for dynamic menus is because the default .xml files all point to http://www.sage-community.org/~nielm...gemenu_1_3.dtd which does not exist.

Change the DOCTYPE line in your menu xml file to:
<!DOCTYPE sageMenu PUBLIC "-//NIELM//DTD SAGEMENU XML 1.4//EN" "http://sageplugins.sourceforge.net/nielm_modules/dynamic_menu/sagemenu_1_3.dtd">
Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
Here are a couple other icons you may like...
Attached Images
File Type: png hover_showtimes.png (208.1 KB, 328 views)
File Type: png hover_netflix.png (70.7 KB, 352 views)
File Type: png hover_web radio.png (301.6 KB, 340 views)
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Showoff.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Showoff.

There's nothing wrong with some healthy competition

Thanks to both of you for these great icons. I'm going to end up putting both of the movietimes icons on different clients, so they'll get plenty of use.

And ChePazzo,
I ended up doing a complete reinstall on my client and that cleared up the problem for me, but I don't think I want to do that for my main client that is having the same problem, so I'll try your suggestion on that one.

Now, to do a little showing off of my own: "Hey guys, check out how cool my DVR looks with all of these icons" ...don't worry, I always give proper credit when "showing off" my sage setup.

Look for these icons reappearing soon in the sagemc layout thread, once I figure out exactly what I'm doing.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereader View Post
There's nothing wrong with some healthy competition
I was just teasing. I know Ted can take it.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Showoff.

Ha! I just saw this!
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.