SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Sage User

1080p Playback with STX-HD100

I gave up on the wait last year and just bought two media center computers. I just checked back and saw the release of the STX-HD100 and put on on order. Can't wait for it to arrive!! I am exicited to give this device a try!!!

I currently have a Vista media center server with these specs. I will install SageTV on it. It just acts as a file server for my two Media Center PCs today.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 1.86ghz
2GB RAM
1x500GB SATA II - Operating System
6x400GB SATA II RAID 5 - Data Store
Vista Ultimate
Gigabit LAN in each room

I have two crucial question I hope some one can answer:

Questions 1: My primary purpose to use the STX-HD100 is to play 1080p .mkv files with DD5.1 audio. Is my current server going to be powerful enough to do this? My understanding is that the HD100 relies on the server to perform some of the muscle work. Please advise the recommended specs if this will not cut it.

Question2: Does it matter what video card the SageTV server has or does all video leg work happen on the HD100?? The server sits in the basement and I will never us it locally. Just streaming to the HD100.

Thanks for your help in advance!!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Fortunately, both your assumptions are wrong. The server does not do any transcoding or "muscle work" when using something the HD extender natively supports. You don't need anything special in the server for a video card. I have an integrated crappy 16Mb ATI video on my server board.

Robert
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

1) There's a specs page somewhere (maybe on the product page when you purchase?) that identifies all the formats supported. As well, there is no muscle work really done on the server from what I understand. The only thing the server does is serve up content and navigation stuffs, nothing video related...that's all done on the extender.

2) Video card irrelevant on a server. Capture card, however, very important. <smile>

G'luck...
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Fortunately, both your assumptions are wrong. The server does not do any transcoding or "muscle work" when using something the HD extender natively supports. You don't need anything special in the server for a video card. I have an integrated crappy 16Mb ATI video on my server board.

Robert
Great, thanks for the response! I am used to the old days of using the Xbox 360 as a media center extender and needing a powerful PC to transcode.

Sounds like Sage has fixed a serious need in the market!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
1) There's a specs page somewhere (maybe on the product page when you purchase?) that identifies all the formats supported. As well, there is no muscle work really done on the server from what I understand. The only thing the server does is serve up content and navigation stuffs, nothing video related...that's all done on the extender.

2) Video card irrelevant on a server. Capture card, however, very important. <smile>

G'luck...
Addict. Thank you for your response as well.

Quick question. Do I need a capture card in the SageTV server if I never intend to use the Tv function? I will use the HD100 for only Music, Pics and playing .mkv movies. Please advise. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswhite82 View Post
Addict. Thank you for your response as well.

Quick question. Do I need a capture card in the SageTV server if I never intend to use the Tv function? I will use the HD100 for only Music, Pics and playing .mkv movies. Please advise. Thanks!
AH! Nope. If you're not using the DVR portion of the system, you don't need squat. Just tell SageTV where your goodies are located and go for it.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total