SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

USB-UIRT

I just purchased a USB-UIRT only to find out it has 1 plug on the back for an external IR.....does that mean I can only control 1 device with this? If not, how do I control multiple devices and how many can I control?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

your main control is out the front of the UIRT. It IR blasts from there. If you set up multiple zones, IIRC zone 1 is out the front and zones 2 and 3 go out the stereo plug in the back. That stereo plug has two channels, basically left and right. If you get a splitter that takes the stereo and splits it to left and right, you can then hook up an IR blaster to each split.

edit: I would start with this thread, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5291 for more info.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you for the quick reply, that's exactly what I needed!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just like what ke6guj posted.

I have mine setup to control several sat boxes via zones and it work great.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I guess now I'm wondering how I can make use of the main IR Emitter on the front to turn on/off things like my projector and also raise/lower my video screen. Since the main IR Emitter is useless to control my cable boxes (all three are Motorola DCT2524s), I'd like to try utilize it for something

Any suggestions on how to use my MCE remote to essentially assign a "macro" to perform multiple commands at once? Unfortunately I don't have the MCE remote with the ABCD buttons on it which means I don't really have any spare buttons which could be assigned for other purposes.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
Since the main IR Emitter is useless to control my cable boxes (all three are Motorola DCT2524s), I'd like to try utilize it for something
Why can't you use the main emitter? It should be zone 1 with the stereo jack being zones 2 and 3. If you run the wired emitters to the second and third STBs and build an IR fort for them so that they don't pick up stray IR, then the first STB should be able to pick up the IR from the front emitter. And if that doesn't work for your equipment layout, you may be able to open up the UIRT and put the built in emitter on a wire so that it can be external like hte other two.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

Remember you can split the back jacks more than once if you really have to. As long as you don't need TV emitters, you can split left to one STV, right to another STB, then split either and use that w/ no zone specification to control other devices like your TV or stereo receiver.

Check out Girder if you want to create macros without a macro remote. You'll have to reserve buttons on your remote somehow, but that would let you do other things too.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Why can't you use the main emitter? It should be zone 1 with the stereo jack being zones 2 and 3. If you run the wired emitters to the second and third STBs and build an IR fort for them so that they don't pick up stray IR, then the first STB should be able to pick up the IR from the front emitter. And if that doesn't work for your equipment layout, you may be able to open up the UIRT and put the built in emitter on a wire so that it can be external like hte other two.
I should have mentioned that I'm already using my MCE IR Blaster to control 2 of the 3 cable boxes. Essentially I only need to control 1 additional box with the USB-UIRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless View Post
Check out Girder if you want to create macros without a macro remote. You'll have to reserve buttons on your remote somehow, but that would let you do other things too.
I'll do that.....thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Sage User

I read somewhere, trying to find it again, that you can make the MCE Remote and IR Blaster that comes in the Hauppauge MC kit work with SageTV using Girder and a plug-in?