SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
Actually, more to the question, why does the resolution linger after I've stopped a video? For instance, if I'm watching a 480i SD show, the UI will be in 480i mode even after I stop the video. It's only after I watch a HD show that the resolution switches back to 1080p.

Ben
This bug is fixed in V6.3.10 of SageTV where it doesn't switch back to the higher output resolution after watching an SD show.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perf View Post
What about photos? Are they displayed at the video resolution (in my case 1024x768, the native resolution of my plasma), or at the UI resolution?

/Per
The next update of SageTV for the STX-HD100 has high-definition photo display in it (new server + new firmware). So while the UI will always be rendered at 960x540 or 720x540; the new version will display photos at their full resolution just like videos are displayed (i.e. whatever the output resolution is set to).
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
Why is that?
There's only one output, and it can only be configured to a single specific output timing at a given time. Basically it works like this, you've got one output and it's set to 1280x720@60p currently for a 720p video. Now say you bring up the UI with the video still playing, the UI will have to be "fit" into that 720p timing. Basically you can't output 720p and 1080p at the same time.

The only alternatives are to convert everything to a specific resolution (native output switching disabled) or switch everything to the resolution of the video.

As for why (with native output switching enable and video preview disabled) it doesn't switch back unless you stop well, I'm guessing that's just because that would be a LOT of switching potentially and it would get really annoying waiting for the TV to resync to the new timing that ofte.

Quote:
Actually, more to the question, why does the resolution linger after I've stopped a video? For instance, if I'm watching a 480i SD show, the UI will be in 480i mode even after I stop the video. It's only after I watch a HD show that the resolution switches back to 1080p.

Ben
Yup, as Jeff said, that's been fixed in the latest version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
This bug is fixed in V6.3.10 of SageTV where it doesn't switch back to the higher output resolution after watching an SD show.
Is it supposed to go back to your specified resolution? Because for me it seems to go back to the highest enabled resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
The next update of SageTV for the STX-HD100 has high-definition photo display in it (new server + new firmware). So while the UI will always be rendered at 960x540 or 720x540; the new version will display photos at their full resolution just like videos are displayed (i.e. whatever the output resolution is set to).
Cool
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Sage Expert

I just got a new HDTV (Samsung LN40A650), and noticed immediately that the UI was quite blurry on the HD100, especially noticeable on the channel icons.

I hooked up my PC directly to the TV (DVI -> HDMI), and the SageTV UI is stunningly crisp. My PC doesn't have the horsepower to do HD very well (especially the new h.264 content from the Hauppauge HD-PVR), so the HD100 is a must for me.

Is the UI resolution limitation to 960x540 a hardware issue or could a software update fix it? I'm guessing it can't be fixed, but it would be nice if it were possible.

Thanks.

-Peter
Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh, I'm sure it could be rendered at full resolution, but I'm sure the extender would take a performance hit rendering that.

BTW, what's your extender set to, resolution wise?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been trying out custom resolutions via HDMI. My TV's native resolution is 1365x768. I put this in my properties file:

extender_resolution_extra_modes=1365x768@60|standard\=VESA_1366x768x60

When I select this resolution in the settings, the picture quality of the UI is signficantly better. The blue color in the settings menu is sharp and crisp. If I switch back to any other resolution, the color is washed out and less sharp.

I want to keep this resolution but I'm having problems with Sage remembering the setting. If I have Native Resolution Switching set to Enabled, when I watch a video and then hit Stop to return to the UI, the resolution does not return to 1365x768. It switches to 1920x1080. This is especially bothersome since the overscan is totally off because its not consistent with the overscan settings I set for 1365x768.

If I switch Native Resolution Switching to Disabled, the above problem does not happen because the resolution doesn't change when I watch videos. I would keep this setting but Sage doesn't seem to remember the resolution setting when I turn off the extender. On power-up, the extender goes bacdk to 1920x1080!

Is this a bug?

I have the latest 060408 beta firmware. Using SageMC (not sure that matters). Latest beta Sage 6.4.3.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by appelm; 09-03-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: corrected syntax error so no one copies this by mistake.. see post below.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
what's your extender set to, resolution wise?
1080p (1920x1080), which is the native resolution for the TV.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
I've been trying out custom resolutions via HDMI. My TV's native resolution is 1365x768. I put this in my properties file:

extender_resolution_extra_modes=1365x768p@60|standard\=VESA_1366x768x60

When I select this resolution in the settings, the picture quality of the UI is signficantly better. The blue color in the settings menu is sharp and crisp. If I switch back to any other resolution, the color is washed out and less sharp.

I want to keep this resolution but I'm having problems with Sage remembering the setting. If I have Native Resolution Switching set to Enabled, when I watch a video and then hit Stop to return to the UI, the resolution does not return to 1365x768. It switches to 1920x1080. This is especially bothersome since the overscan is totally off because its not consistent with the overscan settings I set for 1365x768.

If I switch Native Resolution Switching to Disabled, the above problem does not happen because the resolution doesn't change when I watch videos. I would keep this setting but Sage doesn't seem to remember the resolution setting when I turn off the extender. On power-up, the extender goes bacdk to 1920x1080!

Is this a bug?
Can you change to that resolution using the Resolution (or "output mode") button on the remote while you're in the extender basic Configuration menu?

The default resolution (the one the extender returns to) is the one you toggle to in there.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Can you change to that resolution using the Resolution (or "output mode") button on the remote while you're in the extender basic Configuration menu?

The default resolution (the one the extender returns to) is the one you toggle to in there.
Yes I can. Actually I filed a bug report to Sage and they pointed out that I had a slight syntax error:

should be
extender_resolution_extra_modes=1365x768@60|standard\=VESA_1366x768x60

Now its working much better! Funny thing is, Stranger, you gave me that syntax error in your post here. In any case, thank you for the help.

I'm a bit frustrated that I can't get the extender to default to my resolution on power-up. I've removed all the other default resolutions except 1. Unfortunately it won't let me get rid of all other resolutions. So on power up it goes to 1280x720 and I have to hit the Video Out button on the remote once to change it to my custom 1365x768.

At my resolution, the picture on the extender is so much better. It matches what I got from my htpc. Crisp and sharp.

Last edited by appelm; 06-08-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes I can. Actually I filed a bug report to Sage and they pointed out that I had a slight syntax error:

should be
extender_resolution_extra_modes=1365x768@60p|standard\=VESA_1366x768x60

Now its working much better! Funny thing is, Stranger, you gave me that syntax error in your post here. In any case, thank you for the help.
That's what happens when you pull stuff out of your....

Glad it's working.

Quote:
I'm a bit frustrated that I can't get the extender to default to my resolution on power-up. I've removed all the other default resolutions except 1. Unfortunately it won't let me get rid of all other resolutions. So on power up it goes to 1280x720 and I have to hit the Video Out button on the remote once to change it to my custom 1365x768.
What I mean is, when you're in that menu to enable/disable resolutions, can you use the Video Out button to get you to your custom res? Because that's how you set the default resolution.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
What I mean is, when you're in that menu to enable/disable resolutions, can you use the Video Out button to get you to your custom res? Because that's how you set the default resolution.
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. It doesn't seem like I can. When I return to that screen from the extender setup menu, for some reason 480p and 1080i are re-enabled even though I unchecked them. If I uncheck them again and leave 720p checked and then click the Video Out button, my plasma fails to sync. If I hit Video Out again, it goes back to that screen at 1280x720. For some reason it can't sync to 1365x768 on that page. Yet, once SageTV actually loads it loads in 1280x720 and if I press Video Out it switches to 1366x768 and looks much better. So you're saying that because I can't switch to it on the extender setup page, I can't use it as a default?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. It doesn't seem like I can. When I return to that screen from the extender setup menu, for some reason 480p and 1080i are re-enabled even though I unchecked them.
Do you hit "Save" on the parent menu before restarting?

Quote:
If I uncheck them again and leave 720p checked and then click the Video Out button, my plasma fails to sync. If I hit Video Out again, it goes back to that screen at 1280x720. For some reason it can't sync to 1365x768 on that page. Yet, once SageTV actually loads it loads in 1280x720 and if I press Video Out it switches to 1366x768 and looks much better. So you're saying that because I can't switch to it on the extender setup page, I can't use it as a default?
What I was saying is that the resolution Sage uses as default is the one you "select" on that page. You could try setting it to the unsyncable resolution, then blindly make your way out of the menu, and see if that works.

Or, I'd probably submit a support request about it.