SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

i'm stupid! wiped PC....forgot to backup sage :(

I reinstalled MCE2005 on my HTPC.....i thought I had everything saved....but I forgot to save my sagetv directory.

All those shows they are still on my recordings partition but I can't get them back into sage unless I put them in my video imports.

ah well "it hurts to be stupid"
Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Sage Icon

that sucks.

One thing you may want to look into is the Sage Recordings XML generator, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16987 . That plugin will automatically create .xml files for all your recordings. Then, if you lost your wiz.bin somehow, either by corruption or Format C:, you have the metadata for your recordings and can import them via the webserver back into your new Sage install and have theme appear as recordings.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Sage Icon

There was a properties setting that allows SageTV to sorta scan and rebuild TV recordings database.
Quote:
SageTV V6.3.6 Release Candidate 1/4/2008

Core Updates
1. Repair the video directory property of MediaFiles since it could be wrong if they moved directories
Contact support for the property value, I don't know what its called.

And why aren't you backing up your wiz.bin? Look at my sig below for how.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 AM
SageTVaholic

you can also re add shows to the "TV" section through the web server plugin.

B
Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
There was a properties setting that allows SageTV to sorta scan and rebuild TV recordings database.

Contact support for the property value, I don't know what its called.
Please don't bother support for this property -- 1) it is covered in a FAQ in the forum, and 2) it can only be used if you have wiz.bin with the recordings in it, as explained in the FAQ.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

Seth,

Sorry you lost data. You should seriously consider buying a disk imaging software package to protect your data, before the next disaster. I image my C-drive to a USB hard drive perioidically, before trying demos or new version software, and before any major system changes.

I still remember the horrible feeling of having an unbootable system before deploying disk imaging, manually rebuilding the computer. Disk imaging is very cheap protection for system problems.

Dave
Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks guys!
OK I installed the webserver and Sage Recordings XML generator.
I thinkthe Sage Recordings XML generator only works if your wiz.bin is accurate because it's only making xml files of shows sage currently has listed as recordings.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Seth,

Sorry you lost data. You should seriously consider buying a disk imaging software package to protect your data, before the next disaster. I image my C-drive to a USB hard drive perioidically, before trying demos or new version software, and before any major system changes.

I still remember the horrible feeling of having an unbootable system before deploying disk imaging, manually rebuilding the computer. Disk imaging is very cheap protection for system problems.

Dave
Funny thing is I do that with my laptop
I'm running out of room on my HTPC and haven't been imaging things. I am getting parts for a new HTPC together that can handle HD content (and have lots of room)
BTW I use and love acronis true image for all my disk imaging needs.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by setherd View Post
Thanks guys!
OK I installed the webserver and Sage Recordings XML generator.
I thinkthe Sage Recordings XML generator only works if your wiz.bin is accurate because it's only making xml files of shows sage currently has listed as recordings.
Yah, the xml generator is a prevenative maintence thing to do when you have a properly working system. Then, if you lost your wiz.bin, you would have the .xml files to help import the old recordings into the new wiz.bin. It is not designed to help you after the fact like your current situation.

I think your best bet is to either just leave them as imported videos or just use the webserver to import the recordings one at a time. Otherwise, your gonna have to come up with some way to properly populate an .xml file for each old recording.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.