SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyRex View Post
Could be wrong but last time I checked they wave the $7 access fee if you have a $10 (or more) HD package.
That's the "HD Enabling Fee", not the "Access Fee". Too damn many fees to keep track of.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
I have been looking into switching to Dish Network from cable. I hate STBs. I haven't had one in 10 or more years. My TV has a digital QAM tuner that works very well, and my PC has TV tuner cards, so with cable I have no need for a STB. My knowledge of satellite TV is nil. I assume my TV's digital tuner is useless for satellite, is that correct? Is there such a thing as a PCI card for recording satellite directly digital, or do I have to use a STB to decode then send the signal thru my current tuners as analog? I have experimented with firewire recording from cable STBs for a buddy of mine and it was shaky to say the least. It seems different STBs have firewire enabled/disabled as well as protection enabled/disabled. It was a crap shoot. Will I run into similar issues with satellite STBs if I have to use one? Someone please enlighten me on the best way to record Dish Network with the local HD channels as well as the basic HD package.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I assume my TV's digital tuner is useless for satellite, is that correct?
My TV doesn't even has a tuner. But it could be handy for CC or as an alternative way to watch the local stations.

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a PCI card for recording satellite directly digital, or do I have to use a STB to decode then send the signal thru my current tuners as analog?
No PCI card in the USA, but there is a way to do that thru the USB port and a STB.

Quote:
Someone please enlighten me on the best way to record Dish Network with the local HD channels as well as the basic HD package.
With Dish you have two good options. The R5000 mod which gives you real digital recordings and the HD PVR which records from the component output of the STB and encodes to h.264. Of course you can use the HD PVR with any STB, and the R5000 mod works with some cable boxes but I have only used it with Dish. If you already have an OTA I would keep getting the locals that way. Two tuners are better than one.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
I don't have OTA. I get my local HDs thru cable. I think I'll stick with cable at the moment. I really hate having a STB.