SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Reasons why a recording isn't going to record?

I am new to Sage so I don't know if Sage provides this information ....

A few versions back in BeyondTV, they put in a feature where the system would tell you why a show was not going to be recorded. So, for instance, lets assume I setup a favourite to record Setup on SpeedHD. Speed airs the show Setup 3 tmes during the week. I told BTV that I wanted to record Setup on SpeedHD.

Then when I went to the favourite menu and asked it to show the Other Showings, it would show me that the first one would be recorded and it would tell me why the other two were not being recorded. This could be something like "the show would be recorded on thursday at 10pm", or it could be "recording conflicts with The Daily Show on 336".

Since I don't yet trust Sage to record my shows, I am finding that I am really missing this feature in Sage so that I can see why it is deciding to not tape something that I think it should tape.

So my question is Does Sage provide that information? Is this something that we can get on the SageMC feature request list?

BTW, I know about the conflict view. I think that is fantastic, but it is not a substitute for what I am looking for above. I want to see this information when I am looking through the Guide data and when I am looking at the upcoming airings of a particular show.

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

Recording schedule will show what you desire.

Oh and its going to record it too.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am looking in the Schedule (All) page and I don't see anything that tells me what wont be recorded and why. The why is the critical piece.

Can you point me to the exact screen?

When I get home tonight I will include some screen shots to show you what I mean.

Thanks
Greg
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

greg,

The only reason Sage would not record a show is if:
1. there is a conflict with another show, which shows in the conflict screen.
2. it has already recorded the show, which shows in the guide with a symbol that I think is a greyed out record symbol. Someone correct me here.
3. you have already watched the show, which shows in the guide with a W and the show's info screen as Watched.

I believe if non of this is present, you should expect it to record. I don't know of a screen that specifically show what won't be recorded.

Steve
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

Well the thing is it will all get recorded what you want to see it was will not be recorded on it's very first airing.

The recording schedule will show you what will be recorded and when you can then determine if the 8pm original aring must be watched immediately or if the 1am reair is good enough.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here is the screen I was expecting this type of information.

I see grey recording symbol, but it doesn't tell me why item number 1 won't be recorded. BTV would have told me that airing #1 isn't going to be recorded because the same show will be recorded in airing #2.

The other reason I would expect to see is that I have limited it to only record from a specific channel and this channel doesn't match.

for instance, in this one, I have no idea why it is not going record any of the ReGenesis shows.

In this case, it turns out (after searching a few other screens), I have restricted it to only record on a particular channel (I don't remember doing that but I must have) and none of these airings are on that channel.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sage-no-descrip.jpg (54.4 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg sage-why.jpg (41.5 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by gveres; 04-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

First case: I think that is kind of the point of the recording symbols, by looking at them, it shows there are 2 simultaneous airings, one in hd, looks like the one hd is going to record.

Second case: Well being as none are scheduled recordings, I don't see how Sage could tell you why it is not going to record.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

To ask a stupid question, is there enough free space on the record drive?

60 min SD shows recorded at the highest DVD quality consume 6.5GB on my system. I think I read on the forums that HD recordings consume 20-40GB for a one hour show. If you try to record a 6 GB and a 20GB show, there is not enough free space left on the drive. I think Sage will silently stop recording and not notify you that your drive is full and there is no more space.

Last edited by Menehune; 04-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune View Post
I think I read on the forums that HD recordings consume 20-40GB for a one hour show.
Not sure where that figure came from, but it's way high. A more accurate figure would be 6-8 GB/hour for MPEG2 HD, less for MPEG4.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am stuck in SD world so I have no way to confirm/deny my figure.

So HD programs take just slightly more space than SD "Best DVD quality" mpeg2 files? I learn something new everyday.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I was using BTV, I had a profile on my PVR250 that would give me 1.6 GB/hour for a very good quality. I was using VBR with a min of 3.5 Mb/s and a max of 15 Mb/s.

The interesting thing is that now that I am using the R5000HD and I am getting the raw satellite signal, I see that they are also around this level (but of course it is better quality because I don't have to reencode and they have professional quality encoders).

This is all for SD.

For HD, I am getting around 4 -6 MB/hour, sometimes more.

Greg