SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM

NZ: Anyone using the HD Media Extender?

Hi this is my first SageTV forum post. I'm looking at the various PVR s/w's available and the one thing that SageTV seems to be ahead of the game in is the SageTV HD Media Extender. Of course NZ is still to get HDTV but this extender looks great for acting as a client for any HD media served from a home media server.

So as the title says, can anyone describe their NZ experience with this extender and Sage? Also be very interested to hear why you guys settled on Sage as your PVR (why not GBPVR or Media Portal or ??)? Cheers.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, I'm using an HD Extender and the output from it is better than what I was getting via component from my video card. The only thing I've found it doesn't play is the NZ DVB-T recordings, but support for that is imminent.
The built-in resolution outputs are currently only for US type settings (480i30, 720p60 etc) but it's easy enough to add PAL settings.

As for the choice of Sage. I, as well as many of my friends have tried lots of other PVR solutions but the simple fact is, SageTV just works. Everything else was a mission to keep working with missed recordings, hangs, crashes etc. Every piece of software has it's quirks and SageTV does too, but I've never missed a recording due to a SageTV problem.

John
Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Thanks JREKiwi. Sorry for all the questions, but - Did you import the Extender? What's the WAF like? And how does LiveTV perform on it (channel changes)?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:40 AM
Sage Icon

Just bought it from the SageTV store, they ship to NZ

Family think it's fantastic. Previously we never really watched TV because of program timing, commercials etc. Now we just record what we want and watch it when we want to. Haven't watched Live TV, except for Sport in over 4 years.

I never have to deal with channel changes as I don't channel surf, but because SageTV records even if you are watching live TV there is a delay between a channel change request and seeing the channel change. I think the default delay from live is about 2 secs.

John
Old 06-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
The only thing I've found it doesn't play is the NZ DVB-T recordings, but support for that is imminent.
The built-in resolution outputs are currently only for US type settings (480i30, 720p60 etc) but it's easy enough to add PAL settings.
Did this get resolved - I have not long had my HD extender and have just installed a Nov-t500 and get no sound - the picture is jerky also. It's like it on my mvp's to.

What settings for video and audio are you using?

Thanks

Anne
Old 06-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmystique View Post
Did this get resolved
Not as yet. I can only play DVB-T recordings on my PC. Hopefully this will get resolved as part of the 6.4 beta cycle, although the more people doing bug submissions on it probably means it becomes a higher priority to fix.

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 06-01-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Not as yet. I can only play DVB-T recordings on my PC. Hopefully this will get resolved as part of the 6.4 beta cycle, although the more people doing bug submissions on it probably means it becomes a higher priority to fix.

John
Hey John

I'm in Aus using SageTV on a PC recording & viewing DVB-T. So if I understand correctly, I will not be able to view DVB-T recordings using the HD100, but I will be able to record & view them on the server PC?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatchalov View Post
I'm in Aus using SageTV on a PC recording & viewing DVB-T.
I'm pretty sure DVB-T transmissions in Aus are MPEG2, so you should be OK. DVB-T in NZ is H.264/AAC which is a problem for us here.

John