SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Can I watch .M4V files (iPod video) on SageTV?

Hi - I have found several posts here about creating iPod video from SageTV recordings. My situation is the opposite. I have some .M4V files I have downloaded and I want to watch them in SageTV. Can I do that? If so, how? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Still looking for an answer... I know its a dumb question. Do I need to convert .M4V files to .MPG to watch them in SageTV? (Or will SageTV 6 play M4V files directly?) Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure m4v is in the properties file as a playable extension. SageTV. What client are you trying to view on? It will need an appropriate decoder. Also, it won't play protected video.

B
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your reply.
The .m4v files are not protected. They are downloaded from here: http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/web...e_download.jsp

The client is the Hauppauge MediaMVP (wired version). The server is currently SageTV 5 running on WIndows 2k3.

My MediaMVP boxes are a couple years old. I see on the current product page that it says "with the Media Extender you get playback support for MPEG1/2/4." If that applies to the MediaMVPs of my vintage, then it looks like I'm in good shape. (I assume .m4v files are just mpeg 4, right?)

What do I need to do with the properties file? (Do I just add ",.m4v" to the line "seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions"? Any other changes needed?)

So far I can't get it to work after making the above change to the properties file.

Last edited by dshields; 04-16-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Searching for "m4v" here I only find threads without solutions:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12984
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19296
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/arch...p/t-18399.html

However... after a bit more reading, it seems everyone is pointing to this reply as the answer:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...53&postcount=6
But that is from 2005 -- and that looks like it requires a ton of time and effort. I am hoping that's not the answer I'm seeking. Anyone want to clarify this for me? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

I haven't found an answer yet. Is it possible to easily play .M4V files on SageTV using MediaMVP client? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know if it is. I would send your question to support but my guess is that it might be a version 6 feature. IIRC, you wanted to flip to linux on the server might be a good reason to do so? I can test playback tonight on a linux 6.3.10 box.

B
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks. Yes, I would like to switch to Linux on the server (and also upgrade from v5 to v6 of SageTV at the same time). Unfortunately, I have to purchase a new SageTV license to do that, so I won't do the switch immediately.

I don't want to upgrade my MediaMVP clients any time soon.

I have tried all the solutions discussed so far except the one from 2005 (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...53&postcount=6) and I haven't had any luck.

UPDATE: I just emailed SageTV support too.

Last edited by dshields; 04-17-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I think for it to play in SageTV, the ffmpeg in SageTV or sagetranscoder.exe (ffmpeg in disguise) needs to do the transcoding. If you won't be doing it any time soon I would send an email in.

B
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Sage User

m4v play....

Hey Guys,

I am also looking for the solution. I am running Sage 6.1.9.1 (Linux - openSUSE 10.2) on Sun Java 1.5.0_10. I have installed libquicktime and any other software that may have to do with quicktime or m4v. I have verified that the m4v extension is listed in the Sage.properties.

Has sage support provided an answer or is there something else specifically that I need to look for?

Update: These are unprotected m4v files, probably even the same files as dshields is trying to play.

Thanks!
John

Last edited by jpappas; 05-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.