SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Upgrade License Question: Windows -> Linux

I purchased SageTV version 5. I am now planning to upgrade to version 6, but I would also like to switch from Windows to Linux. Will my current SageTV license allow me to do that?

I'm currently running SageTV on Win 2003 Server, but since I have moved all my other computers over to Ubuntu, it would be nice to get Windows off my SageTV box too.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator

There is no license conversion process to switch from one OS to another.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There is no license conversion process to switch from one OS to another.

- Andy
Does that mean there is no conversion required (i.e., I can proceed)? Or does it mean I have to purchase a new license?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

That means a license for one OS can't be converted to be used on another, so a new license is needed. I'm assuming you mean the SageTV server -- your current Windows SageTV server license will not work on Linux.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have already purchased a SageTV license and a bunch of client licenses too. I want to switch my server to Linux now, but I do not want to throw away my SageTV Windows license. I would hope SageTV will convert it for me. Otherwise, I will take a look at MythTV.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

No joy on this

You'll not find a trade in option. However, I continue to find part time uses for my Windows server license. Right now it is running the HD-PVR in network mode until the Linux drivers are sorted out. Also, it can be run as a client too.

You can look at MythTV, but until Myth gets an HD Extender (Maybe Popcorn Hour?) SageTV is still the better. Also, from what I understand Myth can be difficult to setup. If I can't find an answer on the forums here I send an email to support. Most issues are resolved by the great folks SageTV has.

Lastly, this is a friendly forum.

B
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
You can look at MythTV, but until Myth gets an HD Extender (Maybe Popcorn Hour?) SageTV is still the better. Also, from what I understand Myth can be difficult to setup. If I can't find an answer on the forums here I send an email to support. Most issues are resolved by the great folks SageTV has.
Indeed, having come from MythTV to SageTV for the HD Extender, I can say that SageTV is *much* easier to setup and deal with in general. MythTV is not free. They have yearly fees for their officially sanctioned program guide information. About the only MythTV feature I miss is the "timestretch" playback which speeds (or slows) down video while preserving the audio pitch so you can watch shows in fast or slow motion.

Drew
Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
That means a license for one OS can't be converted to be used on another, so a new license is needed. I'm assuming you mean the SageTV server -- your current Windows SageTV server license will not work on Linux.

- Andy
This has been a sore point with me for a while regarding Sage.. I started with Sage before there was a linux version, and when it was announced there would be one, I thought I would be free of Window$ idiocy. But I'm not ready or willing to shell out for a second license just to test out a system I'm not sure will work how I want. If I could transfer a license it would give me a chance to test things out. Oh well, the window$ machine is working quite nicely at this point so I guess it's moot.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2O View Post
This has been a sore point with me for a while regarding Sage.. I started with Sage before there was a linux version, and when it was announced there would be one, I thought I would be free of Window$ idiocy. But I'm not ready or willing to shell out for a second license just to test out a system I'm not sure will work how I want. If I could transfer a license it would give me a chance to test things out. Oh well, the window$ machine is working quite nicely at this point so I guess it's moot.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/7/22/ms/

1x Hauppauge PVR-500
1x Hauppauge HVR-1600
2x Hauppauge HD-PVR
1x USB-UIRT

My HD-PVR success story
Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuZombie View Post
Hahaha! Thanks!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Sage Expert

let me add my support to a conversion process, or in the alternative, an upgrade price from Windows to Linux.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2