SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Severe problems on new Vista x64 system - is this the end of SageTV for me?

I've previously used SageTV sucessfully on a Vista x86 system with a Huappauge wintv-PVR-USB2 tuner model 29xxx) and a USB-UIRT to control a satellite receiver. I recently built a new Intel P35 chipset based system and installed Vista x64 Ultimate edition on it. The system is completely stable and from what I’ve read SageTV is compatible with Vista x64. However that was the end of using the Huappauge tuner as there are apparently no working Vista x64 drivers for it (there is for the model 24xxx series though - Hauppauge support has completely ignored my requests for help).

I then installed a spare Sapphire theatrix 550 PCI tuner card which Vista installed drivers for without a problem. I tested that the card works by setting up TV viewing in Windows Media Center - I can't change channels in WMC, because for some bizzare reason there's no valid Infared drivers for the USB-UIRT in WMC. No big deal as I much prefer SageTV (until now anyway).

I installed the current non-beta (6.3.xxx) SageTV version into the same directory as I was using on my previous system. The problems began.

First I had several "lockups" in the configuration wizard where SageTV would display a continuous busy pointer. I managed to eventually complete the wizard and everything is working (including the USB-UIRT functions) EXCEPT I get an awful sound distortion on everything – every TV channel, U-Tube videos, etc. It sounds as if I have some nasty environmental effect turned on that echos and distorts sound. I have built-in Realtek HD audio with all effects turned off, my sound is fine for all other programs and it was fine when watching TV in Windows Media Center.

The other problem is that when I switch to use some other application, say Internet Explorer, SageTV often just stops working – it’s as if it goes into pause mode but displays an infinite busy cursor. I have to use Task Manager to kill it and restart SageTV.

In attempting to fix the audio problem I changed inputs from TV-Tuner to Composite and to S-video. It made no difference. I then uninstalled and reinstalled SageTV into a new directory. The problems grow even worse:

Now in the configuration wizard I am completely unable to preview any channel regardless of input selected (either that or it takes longer than 20 minutes to display...) However I can continue the wizard and select the USB-UIRT / any remote control option. I can assign remote control commands successfully to it if I wish. But in the “Select a Tuning Plugin” step, when I select USB-UIRT I get the error message “failed setting the Infared Transmitter Port!...”. The USB-UIRT is functioning exactly the same as before, it’s listed OK in Device Manager and the configuration wizard just allowed me to configure it in the assign remote control commands. So now I can’t complete the configuration wizard. If I bypass this step, I do get the TV display (can’t change channels of course) and the sound is brutally distorted just as before. Still get the frequent busy pointer lockups too.

I then uninstalled and tried the new beta version 6.4.2 installed into another new location. The results are exactly the same.
To summarize, if I install SageTV into the original location where it was on my previous system I get it to “sort-of” work but with severe sound distortion and frequent lockups. Yet the audio is fine in every other program including Windows Media Center. If I do a clean install into any other location, then I have additional problems in the configuration wizard with no channel preview and no USB-UIRT support. I’m almost at the stage where I’m prepared to abandon SageTV and use WMC instead (after buying more WMC compatible hardware that is) but any advice is definitely appreciated.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Sage Icon

Is there any reason you have to use Vista x64? Cant use Vista x86?

Unfortunately 64-bit tech is still cutting edge for the desktop iwth problems like you are dealing with for drivers and the such.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Other than the SageTV experience, I'm finding Vista x64 a superior stable OS and it's great that I can use the full 4GB of RAM for video editing projects. No sense for companies pretending 64 bit is too immature a technology to support properly.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Sage Expert

I always thought MS should have made Vista a 64-bit only OS. It would have seperated it from XP better, crated a clear stepping point and forced the industry to adopt 64-bit.
Most non 64-bit capable PCs were older and stayed with XP anyway.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
I always thought MS should have made Vista a 64-bit only OS. It would have seperated it from XP better, crated a clear stepping point and forced the industry to adopt 64-bit.
Most non 64-bit capable PCs were older and stayed with XP anyway.
Ive been saying the same thing, expecially since Vista just about requires 64bit HW to run "smoothly".....

And Ive been having the exact same issue as the OP, except im using XP SP3 x86.. Sage was working great, then one day Sage became a complete resource hog (idle, Task Manager reports Sage using 1gb+ memory).. I didnt make any HW or SW changes.. I have since intalled 2 HD PVRs and replaced PVR150 w HVR1600 & HVR1800... Same issue.. Sage is recording shows and I can play them back w no issues outside Sage (recorded Chuck and Heroes last night - watched both today w no playback issues in Mdia Player Classic).. To even access ANY video inside sage takes 10-20 mins!!

Im currently using
Sage - v6.4.8.184
Java - v1.6.0_07
SageMC - 6.3.7
Windows XP Pro SP3

I was thinking of reinstalling everything to see what happens.. Thinking of upgrading to quad-core cpu and going back to Vista
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Sage User

I too have had some playback issues with Vista x64 but got around them by disabling some of the not so needed features of Vista such a Prefetch and a few services that were not really needed. I basically used one of the Vista Gamer tweaking sites for information on tweaking and all playback issues have been resolved. There are also other threads on this site that talk about Vista.

Don't know if this would help you, but it certainly made a big difference for me on playback. I am still having issues with the HD-PVR working but I have not given up.

By the way x64 is not so bleeding edge anymore. Xp had a 64-bit version which was released about 6 or 7 years ago and all new Intel CPUs are and have been 64-bit capable for years now. How long should it take for us to step up? The problem is not the O/S, but rather getting the software/hardware vendors support it. x64 has much improved performance over x86.

Last edited by JimmyBalboa; 10-01-2008 at 11:07 AM.