SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
No Ethernet Activity

I have a Media MVP that hasn't been used in a while and I wanted to begin using it. Upon powering it up, all I got was the red light - no video output.

Reading the forums, I found instructions about pressing HOME and UP while powering up - I can now get to the "Checking Ethernet Connectivity" screen. One problem solved!

The problem now is that it never procedes further. I have NO activity lights on the Ethernet port on the rear of the Media MVP.

It is connect to a 24 port Gigabit swicth with CAT 6 cable (yes, I've tried replacing the cable).

Both it and the SageTV PC are on the same switch.

I have ten PC's and six other network devices on my LAN and not networking problems with any of them.

I'm concerned that there is something wrong with the LAN jack on the MediaMVP.

Suggestions?
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Ted,

Just as a quick sanity check, make sure that you have the placeshifter/extender server enabled.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
Thanks, but yes, I did check that as well.

Wow! The twins are growing up fast!!
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I have the same problem with one of my MVP's. I could get the image to display on the tv, and it would get about half way through the status bar and just stop. No lights on the ethernet port, etc. This all occurred when I was watching something on the MVP and one of my dogs bit down on the ethernet cord.....I assume mine is shot. Not saying there isn't a fix, but I'm not holding my breath!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

I figure I'll resurrect this thread. My upstairs MVP just started acting up. It's Ethernet connected. Screens shows it cycling through Checking Ethernet connectivity, Contacting DHCP server and Contacting MediaMVP Bootserver.

No lights by the Ethernet port however and the router doesn't show a DHCP connection (as I would expect considering the above).

Here is what I did to troubleshot.

1. Plugged the Ethernet cable (which was in the MVP) into my laptop. Worked like a champ, DHCP gave it an IP and viola.
2. Plugged my working MVP (from my family room) into the same Ethernet cable and it exhibits the exact same behavior as the first MVP, no lights, cycles through the 3 messages.
3. For the fun of it, I tried another known working Ethernet cable. No change.
4. Scratched my head until I lost the rest of my hair.

I checked and Sage still shows I have two licenses. I didn't think that would be the issue as it wasn't even getting an IP address.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

I too have had this problem. One of my 2 MVPs stopped working on the network. When I swapped the other MVP keeping all cables the same, the other worked fine. My guess is the Ethernet transceiver chip (I don't know if it is a separate device or built into a SOC) in the MVP died. I plan to autopsy the "dead" MVP with the help of a friend and see if I can find the problem.

I replaced the MVP with an HD200.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

had two mvps go bad this way. The one went bad while still under warranty and Newegg rma'd it and replaced it with working one. My other one has since went bad but was out of warranty period. I too have many network devices hooked up in my house and the only problems I have had are these two MPV's and their network ports. I knew it was the network, or at least something I could not fix, because I tested it by switching it out with the other working mvp. The non-working mvp did not work in the other location either and the working mvp worked in both locations. So no help here either except to say that two of my three mvp's have had their networking ports go bad, or something else that directly affects the networking ports, in two different locations in the house while I have had no other network problems (except that horrid lightning storm years ago that killed my xbox network port and two ports on my router)
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your replies. I just went through the sequence again since it's kinda crazy.

Both MVP's work in family room.
Both MVP's fail to get Ethernet connection in bedroom

Clearly a Ethernet wiring issue right?

Not so fast.

Laptop works fine in bedroom using same Ethernet connection.

Last edited by davidjames; 12-15-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
Thanks for your replies. I just went through the sequence again since it's kinda crazy.

Both MVP's work in family room.
Both MVP's fail to get Ethernet connection in bedroom

Clearly a Ethernet wiring issue right?

Not so fast.

Laptop works fine in bedroom using same Ethernet connection.

Your house isn't that big that your network cables are over 100m are they? some network cards are ok on long runs, some aren't.

Also, is there a different hub/switch that you have to go through from the bedroom?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Your house isn't that big that your network cables are over 100m are they? some network cards are ok on long runs, some aren't.
No, that's not an issue. I may not have been clear. The bedroom MVP had been working for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Also, is there a different hub/switch that you have to go through from the bedroom?
Yes, I go through a patch panel and 8 port Ethernet switch in my basement which "concentrates" all the Ethernet cables.

Another piece of the puzzle which may (or not) be related is we had a brief power blip a few days before I noticed the problem. I had to reset a couple of switches (including the one above) and some other gear to restore my home network.

I didn't mentioned that initially since the laptop works just fine and I assumed () TCP/IP is TCP/IP and if the laptop works, any other IP device should as well.

sigh, maybe not - I guess I need to dig out the cable test equipment.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
I guess I need to dig out the cable test equipment.
Testing the from the patch panel to the bedroom yields no real problems. It looks like I have the 3/6 and 4/5 wires backwards (show green but the blink out of sequence) but it's been like that since I wired it 11 years ago so unless the MVP's all of a sudden got real sensitive, I don't think that's the issue.