SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Sage User

Audio out of sync in Sage, but plays fine in Media MVP

Here's a strange problem. I'm running Sage 6.1.9.2 (need to upgrade soon) with 2GB RAM, a 3000+ AMD Athlon and a Hauppauge Win TV PVR 350. My cable TV is going straight into the Hauppauge card with both video and audio through the coax.

When I play a show back through the SageTV software, hardware decoded to the TV, the audio is delayed close to 1/2 a second behind the video. When I pay a show back through my Hauppauge Media MVP, the audio and video are synced so well I can't see a difference between moving lips and words.

This is a rather recent problem that has come on in the last few weeks. I've tried playing with the audio settings with various audio decoders (some of the previous posts mention this might help). So far, no real change. I've even tried to change the decoding to software + hardware. Still no change.

Any thoughts on what could actually bring my stuff back into sync?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Sage User

Clarification

Just to clarify, I believe my video/audio sync is okay when the mpeg file is captured to the hard drive. The fact that my MediaMVP is able to play it back correctly supports that belief.

So, the problem would seem to be with the software or, possibly, the Hauppauge device.

That said, has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Sage User

Update

Reformatted the drive last night. Windows defrag said I didn't need to, but I did anyway, just to see what effect it would have. My audio and video are now solved.

I discovered, last year, that a regular defrag often helps with interface hang ups and some sync issues. I set an scheduled task in windows this year and it has been performing well. I just looked to see if it was still there and noticed something interesting: I hooked a UPS up to the computer a few weeks ago and, in the scheduled task properties, there are selections (under the settings tab) for disabling this task if a computer is running on batteries and to cease if the task is running when the computer moves to battery power.

I deselected the check boxes as I suspect there may be a link between my recent shift to the UPS and the sync issues which were solved by the recent defrag.

I'll watch it over the next two weeks and report back.

Last edited by DWeade; 05-21-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Sage User

Still laggin

The lag seems to be on and off. It get worst as time goes by, but some shows are much worst than others, not just between episodes. I've emailed hauppauge with some questions and hope to get some answers by week's end.

Did try something new. I set up my PC out via the vga port for my TV. Just set Sage to full screen. Two benefits: much cleaner image and less overall lag. Though there still is some lag.

Considering three options, probably work through them:
1. Upgrade sage
2. Rebuild computer with a freshly formatted drive
3. Replace WinTV 350 card