SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Sage User

Sage Media Library - set the interval for disk checks?

This question is about finding out if there is a way to change/lengthen the interval of time that SageTV waits to do a read from disk to update its Media Library information.

My goal is to use the SageTV Media Library feature to catalogue my .AVI movies but also allow the disks on which I store my movie archives to spin up from power-down mode only when a movie is actually accessed. (Well, If the disks had to spin up once/day to freshen/confirm the Media Library db, I could live with that.)

I desire this state for three reasons - 1) Minimize overall server power consumption 2) minimize noise 3) minimize heat.

The server is a 1.73Ghz Pentium-M with six drives attached: 4 PATA, 2 SATA. I'm running Sage 6.3 as a service in a headless Windows XP Pro setup. I've got 1Gb of RAM, so caching (or lack thereof) is not an issue.

Two SATA drives are in RAID 0 configuration as the boot device. The OS partition (where Windows and the SageTV executables live) and the SageTV recording capture partition are both located on the 2-disk RAID. The two SATA disks are always spun up, which I'm fine with.

On the four other PATA drives, I store my movie libraries. Sage only needs to access these drives as a function of providing/maintaining the Media Library functionality.

I recognize that, in general, you run the risk of not seeing/finding media in the Library that has in fact been added to the disk recently if a (hypothetical) interval time is set for too long a duration ... but I don't add new media content all that frequently.

I've used an XP registry tweak to turn off the updating of NTFS Last Time Accessed file attribute, which theoretically allows the directory reads to be accessed entirely from cache. Still, the PATA disks continue to spin up at an irritating (~20 minutes) frequency. If I remove those disks from the Media Library setup, they no longer spin up without being explicitly accessed by me. Thus Media Library somehow continues to be the culprit for the spin-ups.

Is there a Properties attribute that I can set to tweak the time interval for when Media Library scans the disk locations for new/removed media? I've read the manual and searched the forums, so if I've missed something obvious, apologies in advance!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillian View Post
... I've read the manual and searched the forums, so if I've missed something obvious, apologies in advance!
I know there is a menu item in the current software to turn it off completely, it's in:

Setup-> Detailed Setup-> Customize-> Regularly rescan import directories

11th entry down on my menus.

Then you could just use the manual refresh in the:

Setup-> Refresh Imported Media

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Sage User

Thanks MattHelm! As I said, apologies for missing something obvious. I've been using Sage since V2 so this is a nice big slice of humble pie.