SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Not exactly what you are looking for but it's a step in the right direction. Check out Pandora Internet Radio SageTV plugin
Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Sage User

Thanks Brent - does that plugin work with the HD extender? That's the main issue for all internet radio plugins.

If the extender could play MMS streams (like those in uSirius), then I would be all set!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkster99 View Post
Thanks Brent - does that plugin work with the HD extender? That's the main issue for all internet radio plugins.

If the extender could play MMS streams (like those in uSirius), then I would be all set!
You can get the Pandora plugin to work on the extenders via a "hack" - not ideal, but it works & it might work for other internet radio apps as well I would think. Here's the notes on doing that (from the download page):
Quote:
Extenders
  • You can control the Pandora Player from extenders but to hear it you must use do something like described here (use a spare analog tuner and view live tv). To automate this somewhat you can modify the "pandora/channel" property in the properties file for the extender which will cause Sage to jump to Live TV and tune the specified channel when connecting to the Pandora Player.
  • If using service mode you must log in as the local system account and check "Allow service to interact with desktop" in the service properties screen in Windows or the Pandora Player window will never be launched.
  • All extenders and the server itself will share and control the same Pandora Player.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Sage Icon

doesn't local system login cause issues w/ network shares?

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Sage Expert

Come on Sage get this working... w/o having to feed your desktop to an S-video in card. I love Pandora Radio.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Come on Sage get this working... w/o having to feed your desktop to an S-video in card. I love Pandora Radio.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another vote for internet music.... specifially PANDORA, for me....
Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send your requests to Sage directly, I don't believe they monitor this board!!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkboat View Post
Send your requests to Sage directly, I don't believe they monitor this board!!
You are right in suggesting to send requests to Sage directly, but it's also pretty dumb if they don't monitor this board.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
You are right in suggesting to send requests to Sage directly, but it's also pretty dumb if they don't monitor this board.
Not really, would you rather the programmers wade through all the flotsam here on the forums trying to find relevant suggestions or have them spend that time to actually improve the program? They need to have some kind of buffer between the public and the work they do. If you truly have a suggestion or complaint do it officially. Otherwise it's just whining on the forums.

By only accepting requests and bug reports through direct channels it lets them decide for themselves what's relevant and what kind of priority they want to put on each thing. If all they're doing is taking feedback from the forums then they'd probably spend most of their time putting out fires everywhere rather than growing the program in a positive way.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Not really, would you rather the programmers wade through all the flotsam here on the forums trying to find relevant suggestions or have them spend that time to actually improve the program? They need to have some kind of buffer between the public and the work they do. If you truly have a suggestion or complaint do it officially. Otherwise it's just whining on the forums.

By only accepting requests and bug reports through direct channels it lets them decide for themselves what's relevant and what kind of priority they want to put on each thing. If all they're doing is taking feedback from the forums then they'd probably spend most of their time putting out fires everywhere rather than growing the program in a positive way.
I never said I wanted programmers spending all their time on this forum. But it's not unreasonable to have someone from their support group (again, not programmers) spend a bit of time on this forum to get a feel for the problems people are having and to get a sense of what people want the device to do. This is not an "either-or" situation.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I never said I wanted programmers spending all their time on this forum. But it's not unreasonable to have someone from their support group (again, not programmers) spend a bit of time on this forum to get a feel for the problems people are having and to get a sense of what people want the device to do. This is not an "either-or" situation.
I believe that's what Opus is here for. Narflex comes around once in a while as well. I know Opus writes or helps write the default STV. Not sure what Narflex does within the company.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I believe that's what Opus is here for. Narflex comes around once in a while as well. I know Opus writes or helps write the default STV. Not sure what Narflex does within the company.
Then that's good enough for me. I'm not on here enough to know who's who.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Sage User

Hi All. I use SageTV for Windows. I need to play internet radio from any source. What plug to use?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

?

So, are we ever going to get internet radio on an extender or do I have to suck it up and pay through the nose for a Squeezebox to get this somewhat "basic" capability?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
So, are we ever going to get internet radio on an extender or do I have to suck it up and pay through the nose for a Squeezebox to get this somewhat "basic" capability?
I hear you, I've been getting outbid on ebay for 2+ weeks now trying to low ball some auctions. I'm close to caving to ensure I get something, I'd just prefer an integrated solution so haven't gone aggressive yet.

If necessary, I'd even prefer to give my $'s to Frey/Sage for an add-on module. Come to think of it, that could be a good way to gain access to another segment of the user community. Those that want to start with just streaming audio, could get into Sage for a lowwer price point, or we could add an audio streaming module that could lay into our existing Sage infrastructure.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Sage Expert

This is one thing I don't get. Streaming audio is readily avaiable from so many sources here and abroad. It is not bogged down with DRM. It should be very straight forward to support it. Instead Sage is probably jumping through hoops to get Hulu working. Don't get me wrong, Hulu is nice, but if user had to chose
- internet radio streaming in 3 months and hulu 3 month later than
- hulu in 13+ months (counting from the date HD extender was released)
I would bet that lots of users of this forum would go for the internet radio. You can get stuff which is on hulu from other sources. You cannot get stuff that is on radio usually from other sources unless you purchase additional hw

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I personally would prefer the following focus:
  1. Hulu
  2. Netflix Watch Now
  3. Online Music (Pandora, LastFM, internet radio stations etc)
  4. Amazon Unbox
In that order. I'm sure there are LOTS of opinions around one way or another on this though. I'm just happy that SageTV is working on any of the four as this is a step in the right direction imo.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowe View Post
I'd even prefer to give my $'s to Frey/Sage for an add-on module. Come to think of it, that could be a good way to gain access to another segment of the user community. Those that want to start with just streaming audio, could get into Sage for a lowwer price point, or we could add an audio streaming module that could lay into our existing Sage infrastructure.
I'm all for streaming audio, but ideally would like a little focus on music in general. I've floated a wild idea in the past - I think it has potential for SageTV if they could devote resources to it although I'm sure its tough to keep up with all the demands of the existing wants/needs for the HTPC software/hardware they sell already.

Here's the idea I "floated" in the past:
  • Build in music streaming capability into SageTV core that works on the extenders.
  • Build in the capability for the extenders to work in "sync'd" mode. So if you want extender 1 and extender 2 to play the same music playlist you could. Would work with online music as well as music on your server.
  • Create a iPod Touch/iPhone controll app for SageTV. Sell it for 5 bucks to get some $ back on development. Make this device control SageTV and control multiple boxes INCLUDING the "sync'd" music mode.
  • Have a CE company build a cheaper music-only "extender" called the SageMusic. This extender would require much lesser internals so hopefully they could have it built for much less. Purpose would be to connect to speakers or receiver to play back music much like how Sonos and Logitec are doing it now.
  • Build in Amazon MP3 support (with Amazon's blessing of course) so you could purchase MP3's from the SageTV UI - get a cut on the sales and create another source of income. (other options for the music source - I just like Amazon.)
To do it right they'd have to start with the hardware they already have to make sure it works. Then move to the music-only box and open SageTV up to another market that has a lot of synergy with their TV product.

Okay, too much talk for after midnight. Gotta go to bed...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I personally would prefer the following focus:
  1. Hulu
  2. Netflix Watch Now
  3. Online Music (Pandora, LastFM, internet radio stations etc)
  4. Amazon Unbox
In that order. I'm sure there are LOTS of opinions around one way or another on this though. I'm just happy that SageTV is working on any of the four as this is a step in the right direction imo.
I am also looking forward to Hulu support which we know is in the works but one would hope after they get video+audio streaming working that audio-only would be relatively easy...