SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Internet Radio is in trouble

I thought folks might be interested to know that tomorrow we may lose Shoutcast, Pandora, and all the other internet radio stuff. I think that kinda blows.. I phoned my Senator, and wrote them last week.

Here is an e-mail that the head guy from Pandora sent:

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help. We've had a disastrous turn of
events recently for internet radio: Following an intensive lobbying effort on the part of the RIAA, an arbitration committee in Washington DC has just dramatically increased the fees internet radio sites must pay to the record labels - tripling fees and adding enormous retroactive payments! Left unchanged by Congress, this will kill all internet radio sites, including Pandora.

Tomorrow afternoon there is an important U.S. Senate hearing on the future of internet radio. Senator Ben Cardin from your state is part of the hearing. I hope you'll take a minute today to call his office to voice your objection to this ruling.

Senator Ben Cardin's phone number: (202)224-4524
If you decide to call, please be sure to tell them your name and home town, and mention Senator Ben Cardin's name. We encourage you to tell them how much you enjoy listening to internet radio and that, left unchanged, the fees passed by the Copyright Royalty Board will kill internet radio. Please ask them to act to reverse this decision.
Remarkably, this rate applies only to internet radio, exempting both broadcast radio and satellite radio. It is a pure and simple reflection of the difference in lobbying power of each industry. It is not only unfair and without legal rationale, but will completely wipe out internet radio.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to call - it will make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners are by far our biggest and most influential ally.
As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.
-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)
Old 03-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ugg.. Lobbyists suck
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Latest news:
Quote:
The Copyright Royalty board has announced that it is "considering" the Broadcasters' Motion for Rehearing submitted by webcasters.
How nice of them.
I'm in the 'reason-will-prevail' camp. It's dark and rainy over here.