SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

TiVo planning "whole-home" DVR

http://www.electronista.com/articles...hole.home.dvr/

TiVo is prepping a digital video recorder that would serve as a hub for an entire house, company chief Tom Rogers confirms at the D6 Conference. He notes that current TiVos are essentially limited and can't record or offer content to more than one TV set in the home; the Wi-Fi adapter that lets the TiVo work remotely is only a part solution to the problem, Rogers says. Instead, TiVo is working to produce a version of its self-titled hubs that could give "whole-home" access, though the executive doesn't provide more details.

The mention both hints at a potential advantage for TiVo over rival DVR makers, which are also usually tied to single TVs, and also gives the company greater reach as a digital media provider. Subscribers with a broadband Internet connection have access to podcasts and other Internet video features directly through a single TiVo, including Amazon Unbox movies and upcoming YouTube access.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

That's interesting. Real competition for SageTV. I know a few people that have more than one Tivo. Basically one for each of their TV's. I do believe though, obviously, that centralized recording is where it's at.

I wonder how their system is going to handle multiple users? How does the current Tivo handle multiple users? I've never actually used one.

I think that's the main thing that's currently lacking in the SageTV core, support for multiple users. In a "whole home" solution such as SageTV it would seem to me that support for multiple users would be paramount. That way a recording doesn't accidentally get deleted
Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

My take on this? This move by Tivo is a good one that puts it closer to HTPCs compared to other DVRs, but doesn't entice me to give up the flexibility and expandability SageTV gives me.

To turn around the Tivo concept for SageTV, I would like to see a SageTV server box that was Tivo-esque much like the extender box. What I mean here is a server box for the masses that was pre-configured as much as possible that could be plugged in to AC, plugged in to the ethernet/internet and configuration was minimal. This would be an alternative to the software already available for build-it-yourselfers like the current users, but I think even if this was a relatively expensive solution it could be successful.

A less computer savvy (whatever that means) person could buy the server box, buy an HD extender or two, plug them both in and go.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

I agree with both posts directly above. Taddeusz, does the latest Tivo handle multiple users? My only experience is in "first generation"...

I would think the keys would be that each TV box ("extender", if you will) would absolutely have to handle HD (I'm assuming that Tivo won't be producing any further units that don't, at this point), and I would think it would be like the HD Extenders for Sage, meaning that each TV sorta comes into the whole software program separately, but sees the same "recordings" list and such. Each box would need to be able to use the same Tivo remote control and do everything that the "original" can, but just wouldn't have the hard drive, main software processor, etc., inside.

That being said, I'll stick with Sage's ability to be customized and upgraded, and to add features. So, responding to the announcement by Tivo, I quote Chris Farley: "well, LA-DI-FRICKIN-DA!!!"
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I would think the keys would be that each TV box ("extender", if you will) would absolutely have to handle HD (I'm assuming that Tivo won't be producing any further units that don't, at this point), and I would think it would be like the HD Extenders for Sage, meaning that each TV sorta comes into the whole software program separately, but sees the same "recordings" list and such. Each box would need to be able to use the same Tivo remote control and do everything that the "original" can, but just wouldn't have the hard drive, main software processor, etc., inside.
Well that would be best for the consumer, and may spur the adoption rate faster but it wouldn't surprise me if the greed factor pushed it more toward a complete TiVo for each TV that can be "networked" to share content. Why buy $200 TiVo extenders if people will buy $400 TiVos instead.

I think the key for TiVo to make any multi-user solution work through is keeping all communication over coax lines. If you require someone run Cat5 to use this feature it's going to keep too many people away. But if they have a TV for a TiVo they probably already have coax there too.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.

Last edited by Djc208; 06-04-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
To turn around the Tivo concept for SageTV, I would like to see a SageTV server box that was Tivo-esque much like the extender box. What I mean here is a server box for the masses that was pre-configured as much as possible that could be plugged in to AC, plugged in to the ethernet/internet and configuration was minimal.
100% agreement on this.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

Whether the "Plug 'n' Sage" box would be anymore popular is questionable IMO. Take a cue from WHS, as that is what MS wanted it to be...it's still just a geek toy. When it's in the Sunday paper inserts, Mom or Pop will will start buying it.

P
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
...it wouldn't surprise me if the greed factor pushed it more toward a complete TiVo for each TV that can be "networked" to share content. Why buy $200 TiVo extenders if people will buy $400 TiVos instead.
I would agree except that by being the "only (commercial) one out there", they will probably sell a LOT of the $200 units (multiple per household), enough to make up the price difference. There will be a lot of people who wouldn't spend another $400 for a "second Tivo", but might spend $400 for "two more Tivos". Plus making the "extenders" more simplified would save on manufacturing costs, less breakable parts, less service issues, etc., etc.... And of course, being the "only", they might get a lot of people switching from other services to them, simply for this reason, and they would then get the $400 plus however many more $200 units. (I'm just throwing out ideas here )

Quote:
I think the key for TiVo to make any multi-user solution work though is keeping all communication over coax lines. If you require someone run Cat5 to use this feature it's going to keep too many people away.
Great point. As someone who had a bear of a time fishing CAT5e all over my house (you don't even want to know the path that some it takes ), I completely agree.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Well that would be best for the consumer, and may spur the adoption rate faster but it wouldn't surprise me if the greed factor pushed it more toward a complete TiVo for each TV that can be "networked" to share content. Why buy $200 TiVo extenders if people will buy $400 TiVos instead.

I think the key for TiVo to make any multi-user solution work through is keeping all communication over coax lines. If you require someone run Cat5 to use this feature it's going to keep too many people away. But if they have a TV for a TiVo they probably already have coax there too.
I already have a S3 Tivo. An extender that could play content already recorded on that Tivo would be really nice. However, it would be even better if I could buy another S3 and seamlessly integrate the to-do list and Now Playing list. That would mean cooperative scheduling across 4 tuners and playing content on either one from either unit's hard disk.

As for coax networking, they can just take a page from Fios' playbook and integrate NIM100's into the STB.

While we're talking about fantasies, how about auto-transfer from an HD Tivo to SageTV via Tivo Desktop? Is that available? It seems that it would be straight forward and would provide the distinct benefit of getting HD cable channels into the SageTV environment. I can already auto-transfer Tivo programs to my PC, but I have to run them through VideoReDo to convert to TS for playback on MyHD.

- Mike

Last edited by miimura; 06-18-2008 at 05:18 PM.