SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD100 randomly turns itself off

I ordered two STX-HD100's a week and a half ago, and have them both hooked up and working. One of them I haven't used a whole lot, but I've been watching live TV on it today and twice so far it's just decided to turn itself off.

I'll be watching the show and all of a sudden the video will go black, and the green "Active" LED on the front will turn off. At this point, not even the power button on the remote will turn it back on, I have to go cycle the power on the back of the unit itself.

Has anyone seen this? Do I have a defective extender or something?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Sage Icon

I believe it is one on the symtoms of a known issue. The usual problem you see is that the HD extender will just hang for no apparent reason. I have seen my turn off as well. If you see the problem occur again and the remote is non responsive. Wait 3 or 4 minutes and see if the remote then works. If so, it is the known problem. However, it would not hurt to let support know.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Sage Icon

I've noticed this since I updated to the last beta firmware.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well it happened again, but this time instead of flipping the power switch in frustration, I just let it go -- came back a few minutes and tried to turn it back one with the remote, and it came back on.

Also I'm not using beta firmware or beta software. I'm using Sage 6.3.10.166, java version 1.6.0_05.

I'm not sure what the firmware version is but as far as I'm aware, it's the latest non-beta firmware out there.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just thought I'd post an update. It's doing this regularly on my extender now.

No matter what show I watch (it can be Live TV, it can be a recorded show, it can be HD, it can be low definition, anything), and it is guaranteed to turn off every 10 minutes.

For the time being I've unhooked the unit and replaced it with a MediaMVP as it's too infuriating to have it turn itself off in the middle of a show or sporting event. I submitted a support request so hopefully I can get going in the right direction.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand833 View Post
No matter what show I watch (it can be Live TV, it can be a recorded show, it can be HD, it can be low definition, anything), and it is guaranteed to turn off every 10 minutes.
This sounds like an IP address conflict type problem. I have not heard of this with the HD extender. I do recall having this type of problem with a MVP extender. I don't recall the details but I think changing it to use a static address corrected the problem.
Is the HD extender using a static or a DHCP IP address? If static can it conflict with a DHCP generated address?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
This sounds like an IP address conflict type problem. I have not heard of this with the HD extender. I do recall having this type of problem with a MVP extender. I don't recall the details but I think changing it to use a static address corrected the problem.
Is the HD extender using a static or a DHCP IP address? If static can it conflict with a DHCP generated address?
I have all the devices on my network configured for static DHCP through my router, so I specifically assign each device its own IP address.

The dynamic IP's I have on a different range.

And an update, i just swapped the two units with each other, and the problem stayed with the extender, so i've eliminated how I have them hooked up... I'll try switching the IP's just for grins to see if that does anything.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
Well I feel like such an idiot this morning... carlgar, you were absolutely 100% correct, it was an IP issue.

I had an MVP on my network that was set as a static IP (when all the rest of the devices on my network are dhcp) and set to use the very IP that this media extender was using. Configured it for dynamic like the rest of 'em and no more problems.

Thank you very much!