SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage User

HD PVR channel change duration

I'm waiting for my HD PVR. I'm hoping to replace my existing firewire setup to reduce the amount of time it takes to change channels. For those of you who already have the HD PVR setup, how long does it take to change channels ? With my firewire setup, it takes around 8 - 10 seconds. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

I think the channel change time is a factor of the set top box more than anything. The HD PVR doesn't do any channel changing on it's own.

For me, with my USB-UIRT chaning a Dish ViP211 box, I'd say it takes on the order of maybe 1-2 seconds for the UIRT to change the channel, and then another 1-2 for the box to tune to that channel (note that I've never actually timed it so I'm just guessing ).

As for the HD PVR, the recording includes all of the above so it's "change", the time to stop/start a recording is probably well less than a second.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Its about 10 seconds for me. I am using the included IR blaster. I haven't looked to see how much difference there is between the actual channel change on the STB and when it takes effect in Sage....
Old 06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage User

With my PVR-150, a channel change takes 1-2 sec. With the HD-PVR, it takes 8-10. Both with the IR Blaster and the same cable box. Either something is wrong with the way the HD-PVR does channel changes, or Sage if having trouble with the USB data. I haven't tried different USB ports yet. The problem isn't the IR blaster, it's something else. Even after the cable box tunes the new channel, it's many seconds before the picture and sound are back up on the TV.

But, if I can't figure out how to get the channel changing back to a reasonable speed, the WAF will fall to zero pretty quickly.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage User

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess what I am interested in is how long it takes for Sage to start displaying video + audio after the channel has changed on the cable box. With firewire, that portion takes 8 - 10 seconds because the first 5- 10 seconds of video that comes via firewire can give Sage fits.