SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Sage User

Sage TV for Windows Home Server Software, HPMediaSmart Server, and HD homerun tuners

I'm using the above 3 hookups- I'm stuck. I'm a rookie on this, so any replies please be simple. I'm trying to get hd home run tuners to work in HP server. I have the software installed sucessfully on the HP MediaSmart Server. My Sage client programs wont find tuners on 2 different computers, and neither will my MVP. How do I get sage extender and client to see tuners? I can play video files (from the server) on my tv and both computers now. I can see the tuners with regular SageTV(desktop). They play in Sage TV software and on VLC. I want to make it so the server stores everything and will play and record with desktop and laptop turned off. Only the Hp Server on. Any step by step explanation how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Where are my tuners hiding?

Thank you
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Sage User

HPMedia SmartServer

So I guess nobody knows how to hook up HDHomerun on the HPMediaSmart Server?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

I suspect there were no responses because no one clearly understood your original post.
Where is the regular SageTV(desktop) installed? Is it on the HP Media Server?
The Sage client and MVP should not and will comminicate with the tuners directly. They comminucate with the Sage server (what you call desktop) and should allow you to watch recordings or live TV.
Does everything seem to work correctly with the server and tuners? Does the client and MVP connect to the Sage server or is that where the problem is?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Sage User

My HP media server has Sagetv server edition installed. Through the MVP I see all the files and movies I have on the server, and they play on my TV. When I hit setup and look for video sources...........I see none.
Do I need to install HDHomerun on my server? How do I do that? Where do I find an .msi of hdhomerun? I believe HPMedia Smart server requires that.

HDHOMERUN works fine on same network with sage on my desktop and laptop.

Trying to be clear here sorry......
Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

I just checked with my MVP. It is able to see the Video sources. This does appear to be a problem. Have you looked for a firewall related issue? Is there anything else you have not been able to do with the MVP?

See http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/instructions for install instructions.
See http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/downloads for the software. I believe the software does need to be installed on the server. I am sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong. The software provides the driver and the current firmware updates to the HDHR.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c309 View Post
My HP media server has Sagetv server edition installed. Through the MVP I see all the files and movies I have on the server, and they play on my TV. When I hit setup and look for video sources...........I see none.
Do I need to install HDHomerun on my server? How do I do that? Where do I find an .msi of hdhomerun? I believe HPMedia Smart server requires that.

HDHOMERUN works fine on same network with sage on my desktop and laptop.

Trying to be clear here sorry......
Since the HDHR software is not WHS-specific, you install it just like you do on XP--just copy the install files to the server (not in the Software\Add-ins shared folder) and run the setup.

On my WHS system (which is home-built, NOT an HP MediaServer) I followed the instructions on the Silicon Dust site and it worked fine. Like you, I previously had the device working from a desktop pc.

In short, don't worry about trying to install the HDHR software from the WHS console.

Tim
Old 06-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage User

HPMEDIASMART SERVER

I think I need instructions from someone who has a HP Media Smart Server. It's headless. Using rdp I cant install HDHrun, using the console I cant either. Im getting no response from tech support at silicondust.

I completely removed Sagetv from my desktop. Using ONLY sagetv on server through my MVP. I can see, and can play media files on server to my tv, thru MVP. Im fully liscensed in sage/clent and mvp. No HDHR tuners are showing up...maybe its not possible?

Othy:where do I copy the HDHR files to and how do I run install? Because it wont do it under rdp(.exe). from console it just reinstalls it on my desktop.

Calgar:Firewall issues are all setup in router to specific ports required and the HPMSS is showing all green checkmarks.

Thank you for your help so far......

tom
Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage Icon

So you've placed the hdhr installer in one of whs' shared folders (software) and rdp'd to the whs desktop? Do you have a shortcut on whs' desktop to the shared folders? Can you copy and paste the hdhr installer from that folder to the whs desktop? When you run the .exe from the whs desktop it installs on the client you're rdp'ing in with? Maybe try VNC or TeamViewer instead. No way to hook up a monitor and keyboard/mouse? Strange. (Homebuilt here as well).

P
Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 PM

I have HP mediasmart server with two HDHD tuners installed.

Installation procedure is as follows:
1. copy files to hpserver share
2. rdp to hpserver and run installer
3. drivers install and detect hdhr tuners

Afer that there are three programs in Start>>Programs>>HDHomeRun
1. HDHR Config
2. HDHR Manager
3. HDHR Setup

And there is a toolbar icon. Very straightforward.

There is no WHS add in.

Then the trail Sage TV add in detects the two hdhr's on the lan.

I am working on a project (slowly) with the goal being:
1. No STBs in the house
2. Only free to air and digital clear qam cable
3. live tv to all tv's and pc's
4. media extenders at tv's to pull live tv from WHS
5. media extenders at tv's to access recorded media (pics, files, wavs)
6. on-line content access

My questions are related to what SageTV SW do I need to buy?

I think Sage needs to:
1. interface to the HDHR drivers
2. serve the EPG
3. send live-tv to media extenders upon request
4. perform the pvr functions

I want to get the HP MediaSmart Connect or XBOX but not sure about that either.

Advice or comments welcome.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My questions are related to what SageTV SW do I need to buy?

I think Sage needs to:
1. interface to the HDHR drivers
2. serve the EPG
3. send live-tv to media extenders upon request
4. perform the pvr functions
You need to buy the SageTV Media Center for Windows Version 6.3
This is what handles everything you list.

SageTV uses the same license for both its normal server and the WHS version, so you don't need to worry about buying the correct one. Just make sure you don't buy the mac or linux versions

If you use WHS you get a placeshifter license when you install it, but if your thinking about an extender as well there is a bundle in the sage store.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by c309 View Post

I think I need instructions from someone who has a HP Media Smart Server. It's headless. Using rdp I cant install HDHrun, using the console I cant either. Im getting no response from tech support at silicondust.

I completely removed Sagetv from my desktop. Using ONLY sagetv on server through my MVP. I can see, and can play media files on server to my tv, thru MVP. Im fully liscensed in sage/clent and mvp. No HDHR tuners are showing up...maybe its not possible?

Othy:where do I copy the HDHR files to and how do I run install? Because it wont do it under rdp(.exe). from console it just reinstalls it on my desktop.

Calgar:Firewall issues are all setup in router to specific ports required and the HPMSS is showing all green checkmarks.

Thank you for your help so far......

tom
I have a headless WHS box similar to your HP, and a Homerun, and an MVP, and it all works. So I have two questions.

Are you certain that the HDHomerun software won't install when you RDP into the desktop of the EX475? That's how I installed mine.

When you say that you can play media files on the server through your MVP, do you mean that you're using Sage, or the Hauppauge software that comes with the MVP?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hello,
I'm considering switching to Sage TV but have a few questions. If I purchase a license for my desktop to try and see if I like it but then want to transfer it over to my WHS, do I have to buy another license or can I transfer it to my WHS. Ultimately, I want to have my WHS to record all TV. Also, do you know if my PVR-500 will work with WHS?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

It's the same license, if you uninstall Sage from your desktop you can legally run it on your WHS.

My PVR-250 works fine with WHS, I'd be really surprised if the PVR-500 doesn't.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for that info. Do you use the same drivers for the PVR on the WHS that I used form my MCE 2005 system?

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
It's the same license, if you uninstall Sage from your desktop you can legally run it on your WHS.

My PVR-250 works fine with WHS, I'd be really surprised if the PVR-500 doesn't.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

The driver I use for the PVR-250 on WHS is just the download on the Hauppauge support site, so I think that's "Yes", though I don't know anything at all about MCE2005.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info. That's all I did when I first got my PVR-500's, so that should work for this.

Thanks,
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
The driver I use for the PVR-250 on WHS is just the download on the Hauppauge support site, so I think that's "Yes", though I don't know anything at all about MCE2005.