SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Guide to setup sagetv server master for network encoders.

I need some advice on how to setup up a windows xp pro pc (that has no tuners) as a sagetv server master that would control 3 network encoders pc's each with 7 tuners. I was considering using a wmware guest.

I want my clients to connect to the master only using a web interface, to download recordings from the pc and set up recordings.

On the network encoder I have set the property 'enable_encoding_server=true'
and on the master set the property
'network_encoder_discovery=true'

The master PC doesn't see the network encoders at the moment, also how do I get the EPG from network encoder to show up on the master? (3 of the Source network encoders are DVB-S)

Thanks
Anne

Last edited by zzmystique; 06-17-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Are the firewall ports listed in Appendix G of the PDF manual open?

And, I think the EPG would have to work through the server, not on the network encoder.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Thanks for replying Andy, the firewall ports have been configured. I think my issue with the master not seeing the network encoders is because they are on different subnets.

What lines do I add to the master servers sage.properties file so the network encoders will be discovered?

What configuration needs to be done on the network encoder?

Thanks

Anne

Last edited by zzmystique; 06-19-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting.. Since SageTV does a broadcast discovery, I think you may need to submit a feature request. In the mean time if you can configure your router for packet forwarding I would. You could start with just the outbound packets from the master server. You could also try setting up the encoding servers on the local subnet and then modifying this porperty:
Code:
mmc/encoders/tuner number/encoding_host=ip_address\:6969
Also, on the encoding server you don't need to configure anything EPG related. I set mine to use none, but you do need to configure the external tuning setup if required. It is all handled by the master otherwise.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Doh! Going to have to re-think the setup as there are too many routers between the master server and the network encoders (the network encoders are located on a different physical site (10km apart)).

Is there another way to get the guide epg data and recording info from 3 sage servers and merge together? (I'm no programmer!)
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I was thinking about this some more..

ssh supports local and remote port forwarding. You could try something with that and open tunnels. You could also place the servers in a vlan too. If it would help, I could paste in my network encoder, but you might be better off putting SageTV on a laptop and taking it to each remote server to build your properties.

B