SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Sage User

Smile Beginning setup of a Sage server

Hello -
I am working on setting up a sage serverwith at least moderate hardware potential. I noticed that most of you have at least 2 GHz procs in your servers, clients usually less. What is the minimum I would need for HD playbackto 1 or more clients? I see that the FAQ lists 3 GHz, but getting expensive when looking at intel dual/quad cores. I also plan on using (either) an ATI 256 MB video card or maybe a Geforce 8600 with 256 MB from Tigerdirect (which may help ?). I am concerned about watching and recording HD programming via a MVP client or extender...but want to put ample Horsepower in the server. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Expensive is relative, if you want the best bang for a buck buy the HD Extender. It decodes most formats for you natively. Other than that, mind sharing your budget? I would be happy to help you price something out.

B
Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Sage User

Thx B,
I just looked up the HD extender, that could work...
I was looking for an HTPC box for the main 46" HD tv downstairs, but wonder if I really need it, I suppose I could leave the server upstairs with the router, etc.(I want to surf , control all channels, recordings from the den, I was thinking I HAD to have a computer within an HTPC case down there) I am thinking of putting a good mobo/cpu in a used atx box for around is $250 but unsure if it is enough cpu power (usually see about 2.2 GHz power for this price range). I will also need 1-2 HDD's with a lot of room (another $200), I have an ATI radeon pci 1300 w/ 256 MB and a wintv-HVR 1800 that I have started to test in a 'test' Vista Premium pc. Does that help ?
I should be able to use either win xp or win xp media center on this server (unsure if media center will cause issues with sage software).
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

You say "surf"; do you mean the web or channels?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Sage User

Yes, surf the web...I would like to be able to connect to any pc on my home network, share pics, etc , and record any programming , all from 1 place (Den).
Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage User

Let me back up 1 step, you guys could help me more if I provide my entire "dream" here ;-)
Den - main room 46" sharp aquos hdtv
Upstairs BR1 - Time warner cable - digital - with home wi-fi router (have 20" lcd tv with tuners / pc inputs)
2 other BR (bedrooms) SD Tv's
Vision - to control the 'sage server' from the Den on the big screen (surf the web, control channels, record channels (sd and hd) - Then access the same recordings from my other BR's with or without PC's in the rooms.(can I have the electronic scheduling on the BR sets, too ?)
* I am unsure if I can connect this 'server' or HD extender to my 'rented' Time warner cable HD-Digital box and record the HD programming (so I can share with the TV's in the upstairs Bedrooms) Many of my channels are encrypted so obviously I have to run them thru TWC's Qam tuner, right ?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Recording HD is not terribly practical yet unless you can afford an R5000 mod (~$500 for just the mod). Hauppage will be releasing a $250 HD capture solution in a couple of months.

Here's a quick summary of what the pieces do so you can understand how to put it together:

Sage Server:
  • PC you provide, and install Tuners/encoders connected to it
  • Run SageTC Media Center software on it
  • Provides recording, storage, and transcoding (if necessary) for all client devices
  • Can playback on a TV directly connected, though some people advise against this (i.e. keep it dedicated as a server)

Sage Client:
  • Software you install on a single PC used for playback to a locally connected PC or TV.
  • You provide the PC, and you can surf the web etc on the local TV.
  • Full Sage interface available, no transcoding needed on server, special sage plugins will work.
  • Requires it's own license dedicated to that PC.

MVP Extender:
  • Hardware device connected to local TV.
  • Ethernet or wireless version available
  • Requires license on server.
  • Full Sage interface, SD only, and it will require transcoding (more CPU on server needed)
  • Some sage plugins will not work.
  • No web browsing!

HD Extendeder:
  • Hardware devic connected to local TV
  • Ethernet only (you'd had to create your own wireless bridge, and it probably wouldn't playback HD content well)
  • Requires license on server.
  • Full Sage interface, HD or SD, no transcoding required
  • Some sage plugins won't work
  • No web browsing

Placeshifter Client:
Sage Client:
  • Software you install on multiple PCs used for playback to a locally connected PC.
  • You provide the PC
  • Full Sage interface available, transcoding needed on server if across internet, some plugins will not work, video quality varies based on bandwidth.
  • Requires it's own license, based on number of simultaneous viewers
  • Usernames and passwords for logins, and requires firewall configuration to use over the internet

So... You'll need a Sage server next to your cable box if you want to be able to record the encrypted channels with S-Video capture. If you need web-browsing on the TV downstairs you either need to put the cable-box and server there (noisy) or you setup a Sage Client HTPC. The other TVs can use extenders or HD extenders. $200 for HD, $110 for SD. If you put the HD extenders you'll need less CPU on the server when playing back on them.

Personally... I'm starting with a server in the garage (I love California weather!) and HD Extenders at my 2 HD TVs. Eventually I will be replacing one of the HD Extenders with an HTPC for web browsing and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback, but I'm waiting for some specific motherboards and CPUs to be available so I can do it cheaper and quieter. I figure I can wait a while longer for the web browsing.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Sage User

Thank you very much for the info !! - a lot to think about...
Would I need a 3GHz proc on both the server and client machines in order to watch and record HD programs ? Or does it depend on my FSB and video card speed too ?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Expert

That 3ghz proc recommendation predates dual cores.
An e6600 or Q6600 both have multiple cores at around 2.4ghz or something like that, and both are more than fast enough for HD playback. Any modern dual/quad core proc will be more than sufficient for your needs.

And HD recording IS worthwhile today, even without an R5000.

I record probably 10-12 shows every week in HD. Lost in HD is very worthwhile.
OTA HD is very very good.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree... recording HD is very worthy. I only have 3 HD channels where I live... but they are the big 3... ABC, CBS, NBC. CBS and NBC are full quality, and are beautiful. I wouldn't discount HD unless you don't have access to ANY at all... I bought my PVR 1600 knowing at the time I only had 1 HD channel OTA. Just be sure you have gigabit running around for HD. OTA channels at full bandwidth puts a hurting on 100Mbit.

I handle 2 boxes a little different than most configs people have (I believe)

Box 1 is Sage server and client. Intel E6850..Has Tuners, and good Video connected to 47in LCD via HDMI. OS drive (and 1 recording drive that gets used if box 2 drops offline)

Box 2 is a media server only... it had 2 raid cards and LOTS of HDs. 1 card holds TV recording, and other card holds dvds/video/music. It runs a lot lower processor than my client.. AMD 3800+, and it handles all my commercial detection.

This setup run well for me if you don't mind the big computer case in your Tv room.. which isn't a problem for us.

Good luck!
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Good point on the OTA HD recording. I don't get reception where I'm at, so I don't think about it.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
I don't get reception where I'm at, so I don't think about it.
But you may be able to (with the HVR-1600's QAM tuner) get in-the-clear HD from your cable provider. It's worth checking in to:

Just enter your zip code here to find out.