SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile Connecting HD PVR to computer

I have SageTV software and a Sage HD media extender. I am trying to setup my system. I would like to place my STB and Hauppauge HD PVR near my TV and media extender (in another room 45 ft from my PC). I want to do this because I have more room to place the large footprint STP in my media console cabinet, and little room around my PC.

To do this I need to connect from the HD PVR to the PC via a 45 ft USB connection. Can I buy two USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapters and connect them to my gigabit ethernet network to solve the problem of distance limits for a USB cable? This is the same network that everything else is using. I would attach one adapter to the HD PVR and the other to my PC.

Will this work? Has anybody faced this problem? If this won't work is there any way I can make the USB connection?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

no.

Those USB to CAT5 adapters do not convert USB to ethernet. They just allow transport of USB over long distances using the CAT5 cable. You actually might sustain damage to your USB device, ethernet switch, or both, if you patch your usb to cat5 box into your ethernet switch.

-Dan
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool Oh Dear!

Is there anyway I can run some type of dedicated wire 45 ft that allows a USB connection?

How about a dedicated Cat 5e line with the adapters on both ends?

Last edited by johnwmreed; 06-17-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Funny I just got "USB Complete" book in the mail today.... It says that the max distance for USB is 16ft... but that you can get a max distance of 96 ft using 5 hubs. So you should be able to use 2 hubs and 3 16ft cables.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great

I found a Cables Unlimited 16-Foot USB 2.0 Type A-to-Type A M/F Active Extension Cable which you can string up to 80 feet:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6703&CatId=444
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Funny I just got "USB Complete" book in the mail today.... It says that the max distance for USB is 16ft... but that you can get a max distance of 96 ft using 5 hubs. So you should be able to use 2 hubs and 3 16ft cables.
I believe the hubs need to be AC powered hubs (with a wall-wart) not USB or self powered hubs.
I've read the timing and pulses get worse the longer the cables are (and are especially bad with cheap cables) so the hubs are needed to recreate the proper bits and clean up the pulses.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile I am going to try a powered USB cable

I think you are right about needing power. The Hauppauge support people said they don't have experience with long cables.

I found a powered cable:

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-EXT-2X.html
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

It worked!

I am using 2 16 foot long powered USB cables in series (total 32 ft) and the HD PVR works great.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't believe they need to be powered. Active cables are basically a max length cable with a 1-port hub on the end. The length limitation with USB is not an issue of power, but of timing. Each Hub provides the buffering/timing correction necessary to overcome this. The hubs themselves use very little power, and as such, a powered active cable is not really necessary. I'm soon going to be moving my sage client into a closet about 25 ft from my tv, and will be using a few active cables to keep my USB-UIRT and Optical drive at the set. I am thinking of using a USB audio dongle as well, to save the extra long spdif run. Biggest expense/limitation I'll be having will be getting the HDMI to the screen.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Sage Icon

I've bought some inexpensive USB to cat5 baluns and use them to extend the touchscreen controls and wireless keyboard reciever from my server in a remote closet to a touch screen in the kitchen.

It works great for that type of application and only cost about $25 for the pair of baluns.

However, I have not tried them with the HD-PVR. That device would obviously be sending a whole lot more data than the touchscreen or wireless keyboard. I'm afraid it might overwhelm the baluns.

I'm glad the two cables worked out for you. That is probably the route to go if the distance isn't too great.

The baluns are suppose to work up to 200'.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all