SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Sage Expert

HD pvr playback on media mvp, ever?

will sage server ever be able to transcode on the fly the hd pvr files so that media mvp will be able to play them back?

And if yes, any guess as to how soon?

thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
will sage server ever be able to transcode on the fly the hd pvr files so that media mvp will be able to play them back?

And if yes, any guess as to how soon?

thanks
I can't see why not. The key would be whether your server is powerful enough. I'd guess you'd need a powerful Quad-Core CPU on your server to do it.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Sage Expert

HI Brent.

Well I certainly have that (Quad core Phenom 9850) so hopefully this will be working soon.

Hoping that a Sage staffer will reply to one of my mediamvp/placeshifter threads and tell us something about on the fly transcoding of the HD pvr files soon.

thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

What does your MVP do when you try to watch a show from the HD-PVR output?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Sage Expert

same as placeshifter, black screen.

Like it's trying, but not getting anything.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Thats strange because when I play back a previously recorded 1080i show recorded by the HD-PVR on my MVP, it plays it, but is very, very jerky. I just thought it had to do with my server's underwhelming CPU power
Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage Icon

And what happens on the server side? Does sagetvtranscoder.exe launch?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Sage Expert

interesting news (Brent's marginally successful mediamvp playback.)

Only tried this morning for a bit (media mvp is hooked to TV where I exercised so tested this a.m. before work, but did no troubleshooting.)

Will test further tonight.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
Will test further tonight.
And I'll check to verify with a few recorded shows from the HD-PVR via MVP tonight also and report back as I'm curious as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
And I'll check to verify with a few recorded shows from the HD-PVR via MVP tonight also and report back as I'm curious as well.
Yes inquiring minds want to know! I might try some tests this weekend on my setup using Brent's test files. I can't test tonight for fear of Sage not recording So You Think You Can Dance (my wife would kill me).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Last edited by paulbeers; 06-04-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 AM
SageTVaholic

I think there is some hope. You can play back the files using a VLC nightly build. I haven't tried with a recent ffmpeg svn pull, yet, but that would be the telltale sign.

B
Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've had some interesting results using the manual settings for a PS client - posted in a similar thread http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...0&postcount=12

Not successful results but it definitely gives me hope they'll get this going.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Yes inquiring minds want to know! I might try some tests this weekend on my setup using Brent's test files. I can't test tonight for fear of Sage not recording So You Think You Can Dance (my wife would kill me).
Checked again last night. When I play a recorded 1080i show (from the HD-PVR), it displays the video, but in slow motion and very choppy. Audio is garbled as well. It is trying and isn't a black screen so I think it must be possible if you have a fast enough server PC CPU. It will probably take some tweaking in a future version of SageTV to make it work on the h.264 files.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Checked again last night. When I play a recorded 1080i show (from the HD-PVR), it displays the video, but in slow motion and very choppy. Audio is garbled as well. It is trying and isn't a black screen so I think it must be possible if you have a fast enough server PC CPU. It will probably take some tweaking in a future version of SageTV to make it work on the h.264 files.

Based on wado1971's post over the in the placeshifter forums, I would say it is very cpu limited at this point.

He is seeing 25% cpu usage on a Q6600. Knowing that the transcoder is single threaded, that means he is maxing out one of his cores and even with that is only able to get choppy video at best. I think it would take a Core 2 chip in the 3.0ghz+ range to even attempt this (pure speculation on my part)and that's quite a bit of horsepower! Either the transcoder will need to be severly tweaked or it will need to be redesigned to be multi-threaded.

I suppose my wife can deal with only getting to see Discovery HD on the HD100's. Maybe she will give me permission to buy another one! Hehehe.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I suppose my wife can deal with only getting to see Discovery HD on the HD100's. Maybe she will give me permission to buy another one! Hehehe.
It would probably be cheaper than upgrading the server to be able to transcode H.264
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It would probably be cheaper than upgrading the server to be able to transcode H.264

Very VERY true. That's how I'm going to have to approach this....
Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Very VERY true. That's how I'm going to have to approach this....
the only issue with that is that it doesn't work well for placeshifting... i placeshift often and would like to see a multi-threaded transcoder to take advantage of these cores that a lot of folk have sitting around. of course, that would require ffmpeg to support it as i use the linux server version.

/jer

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 07-04-2008, 11:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop View Post
the only issue with that is that it doesn't work well for placeshifting... i placeshift often and would like to see a multi-threaded transcoder to take advantage of these cores that a lot of folk have sitting around. of course, that would require ffmpeg to support it as i use the linux server version.

/jer
I'll second that. I'd also like to see a multi-threaded transcoder. I've never e-mailed Sage about it, but I assume they already know that's something a lot of us would appreciate.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Sage User

"X 3"

My OTA HD almost plays on the MVP. As cheap fix I've tried overclocking the old girl, but it just didn't get that much better as I pushed and pushed the clock speed up.

I would think Sage would be able transcode a high bitrate (low compression) MPEG2 file "on the fly" I say this because, A few years ago I had a athlon 1333mhz that could software encode a fixed bit rate MPEG2 stream pretty easily using a cheap ati capture card, I can't remember the processor usage but the computer was still very, very useable.

My server can transcode a Xvid (480p) to the MVP, doing so it consumes around 30% processor usage. Therefore I would guess the sagetvtranscoder.exe has problem with rescaling efficiently.

To get around this I was thinking of upgrading (Quad) my server, but from the input here that's a no starter.

I have 3 additional MVP's which I am holding out from buying licenses for, as half my recordings are OTA HD, and the other half are SD from analog cable, what's the solution? to double record?

I guess Sage would like me to upgrade to the HD box, but what's the point when I have lots of old SD tube television still working good.
Server: AMD XP 2800, uATX MB, 1GB DDR RAM, NVidia 6800GS, NVidia Pure Video 'Bronze' decoder, 160GB PATA (10 GB OS Partition), 500 GB SATA (recordings), 750 GB SATA (favourite dvd's); Hauppagge HVR1600 doing OTA Digital and analog cable, 50" Maxent Plasma @1366x768 60hz, Win XP Home

Client: Helius MVP on 21" CRT

Future Plans: second MVP license, HD media extender & 37"-ish lcd for bedroom, move helius mvp to kids room, install some sort of commercial skipping
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethdog View Post
"X 3"

My OTA HD almost plays on the MVP. As cheap fix I've tried overclocking the old girl, but it just didn't get that much better as I pushed and pushed the clock speed up.

I would think Sage would be able transcode a high bitrate (low compression) MPEG2 file "on the fly" I say this because, A few years ago I had a athlon 1333mhz that could software encode a fixed bit rate MPEG2 stream pretty easily using a cheap ati capture card, I can't remember the processor usage but the computer was still very, very useable.

My server can transcode a Xvid (480p) to the MVP, doing so it consumes around 30% processor usage. Therefore I would guess the sagetvtranscoder.exe has problem with rescaling efficiently.

To get around this I was thinking of upgrading (Quad) my server, but from the input here that's a no starter.

I have 3 additional MVP's which I am holding out from buying licenses for, as half my recordings are OTA HD, and the other half are SD from analog cable, what's the solution? to double record?

I guess Sage would like me to upgrade to the HD box, but what's the point when I have lots of old SD tube television still working good.

Umm. OTA HD MPEG2's transcode on the fly with no problems. I have been doing it for well over a year. You just need the horsepower. My Intel e4300 @ 1.8ghz is not upto par, but over clock it to 2.4ghz and it can do it with no problems. Your XP2800 won't cut it unless you change the quality setting to "standard" which will not be as nice, but it should work.

The issue in this thread is the HD-PVR which records everything in H.264 and not Mpeg2.