SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Dead hard drives, lose recordings?

Well I was running a NASLITE Linux box and now all 4 hard drives in it are not working. I had a few hundred videos on those drives. And if Linux cant even mount the drives...I think something went really wrong. I am going to try to connect them directly to an IDE port and not the IDE controller. Maybe the addin IDE controller has corrupted them.

Well anyway, here is my question. Since I think all 4 of these drives and all their videos are gone...how should I deal with this problem? Should I just configure sagetv and remove the drives listed in the video storage settings in the Sagetv setup program. Or what is best way to tell sagetv that all these videos are gone for good.

It seemed that slowly but surely over the past year...that this naslite video server has been losing its hard drives. I have too much equipment too really keep track of any one computer or server or set of drives. But I know that all of the drives were recognized in the beginning and it just seemed like one by one they start having problems.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can just remove the naslite drives as recording devices. The recordings will still be listed in your recordings but Sage will eventually realize that they are no longer present.

Thomas
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

It may not get rid of the recordings if the path is not visible for SageTV to notice the files aren't really there, but there's a whole FAQ thread that covers things like this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just tell it to rescan your imported media - from the setup menu. It will then inventory your imported media and remove the listings for what is gone. If yo have the auto scan turned on - it will eventually do this on its own.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
What does sagetv consider imported media? Im just wondering... :-) to me it seems like that would be things I added like pictures, dvds I stored on a drive, etc

I will give that a try after removing the naslite from the list in the setup screens.

I still have to take that machine apart, and one by one connect the drives to the motherboards built in IDE connector. Currently they are all hooked up to a addin IDE card. Which maybe flakely drivers corrupted the hard drives,, and maybe data is forever gone. It just seems wierd to me that the drives seemed to have dropped out and died a slow death. Almost so slow I didnt really recognize it. but now, none of them are recognized by naslite.

Im hoping by connecting back to the main IDE port on the motherboard, that they will appear again. Then I could copy to a different file share on the network, and not lose my recordings. Oh well, someday I will get around to trying this.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

As Andy mentioned, if the path where the files WERE is not accecable to Sage, it will assume that storage is just offline, and will not remove them from the SageTV Recordings listings. You can manually delete them from the Recordings screen, or reactivate the path to the share (or another share with the exact same path). If it sees the location they USED to be and doens't see the files, it will remove them from the database.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Sage Expert

Were the drives used individually or in a cluster (RAID)?

Have you tried using TestDisk-6.9 or something similar to see if you can recover the data from the EXT3 formatted volume?

I recently discovered it when I needed to recover data from a laptop hard drive where the partition data was unreadable due to bad sectors. I originally thought the data unrecoverable but I spent another hour trying out recovery applications (and being afraid most of them would contain rouge code!)

TestDisk gave me access after attaching the drive using an external USB IDE enclosure. It took 8 hours to recover 34GB of data but I was impressed that I could both find the app and that it really worked.