SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Sage User

MediaMVP, wireless, DHCP and static IPs

Hi all,

I own 2 MediaMVP devices (both wired model), one wired to a switch and the second one wired to a Cisco access-point. The Cisco access point is configured as a bridge as depicted below:

MediaServer ----- switch ----- AP1 ---wireless---- AP2 ----RJ45 xover ----- MediaMVP2
|
-------------------------------------------------------------- MediaMVP1

This setup used to work fine until the electrical company started cycling the power every day. Ever since, MediaMVP2 isn’t capable of getting an IP address through DHCP. The MediaMVP tries to get the IP address for 10 seconds then declares it dead. But 10 seconds isn’t long enough. When digging into it, the MVP sends only 2 packets out the Ethernet interface so it is not trying very hard.

Two more pieces of information that are important:

a. If a plug a laptop in the AP using the same crossover cable, DHCP works fine.
b. I tried swapping the two MediaMVP with the same results.

I have two possible workaround. Anyone knows how to implement them?

a. Is there a way to adjust the DHCP client timers so it tries for a longer period of time?
b. Can I setup a static IP address? That would alleviate all my issues.

Thanks,

Martin
Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Sage User

RE: MediaMVP, wireless, DHCP and static IPs

Hi all,

I finally fixed the problem. The issue is that the MediaMVP will only search for a DHCP address only once at startup. So if the network is not 100% ready when the MediaMVP boots up, you cannot get an IP. And you cannot set one statically either.

I put a hub between the AP and the MVP and it now works fine.

A note for the Hauppauge folks: you should consider increasing the DHCP dead time to 60 sec or have the MVP keep asking for DHCP until it gets one. Or at least, allow the user to either set statically or manually ask for an IP again.

Martin