SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

Strange HD Extender behavior, needed server reboot

Last night I was watching a time-shifted program (recording 8-9 pm, started watching about 8:50 pm) on one of my HD Extenders. The schedule was set to record two shows at 9 pm, one of them on the same station as the one that I was watching/recording (both HD, by the way).

Suddenly the playback froze. Nothing would work, not even the Standby button on the extender remote (though the green light flickered to indicate it was seeing the signal when I pressed any button). I believe this occurred right at 9 pm, when one channel switched over to the next program and another tuner began recording another show.

I did a hard reboot of the extender with the switch on the back. It started up fine, found the server, went through the “press a key within 5 seconds”, etc., but then just went blank. No keys did anything (though the green light still did flicker). I got a small blip on the “stream/signal” light about 20 seconds after the screen went blank, and another about 30 seconds later, and that was it.

Checked the server – everything seemed fine - both shows indicated being recorded. Checked my other extender (which had been in standby) – same exact behavior – when I pressed the remote button to turn it on, nothing happened, when I rebooted the box, it saw the server but went blank after the startup (even got those two little green stream flickers, at around 20 seconds and 50 seconds).

Unfortunately, I could not shut down Sage or reboot the PC because it was recording two shows (which appeared, on the server, to be recording just fine).

An hour and a half later when the shows were over, I rebooted the server. That fixed it.

I just thought it was odd that an error could occur on the server, that allowed the extender to restart and see the server and connect to it, but not to actually run the software (load up the UI and function), yet it didn’t affect the server performance at all… and a server reboot fixed it (rather than an Extender reboot). And, assuming that it occurred at the changeover of programs (I didn’t look immediately, but it was likely right at 9 pm), why would *that* cause this sort of problem?

Anyone else seen this, or (to those with any amount of programming knowledge) can explain what/how this can happen?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have had this issue a few times with my HD100's, does not seem as bad on the stable versions of Sage, but the Beta does this at least once a week (that is 6.4.4.)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had a similar issue today. I (thought I) had a show recording and decided to watch something on the HD extender. I went blank so I tried rebooting it with the same result. My MVP had the same result. I went into the Sage gui on the server and it seemed fine unless I tried to view content (I could go into setup just fine). The status bar at the top of the gui screen showed no free disk space (I have > 500GB free) and no upcoming recordings When the recording should have been complete I restarted the server and all was fine except there was no recording.