SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

HD100 remote problems

I have a new HD100 in the house (second one for me) and am having a little issue with it. When I use the remote to do anything it doesn't "take" the first remote key press. Then if I hit that remote key again it double-clicks that key. For instance:

Hit Up button once - nothing happens
Hit Up button a second time - moves up two in menu

Same thing happens with most keys. I've tried two other Hauppauge remotes, the HD100 remote control from my other HD100 and same result. Something interesting is I don't see this behavior in the setup screen for this HD100. I also don't see this behavior on my other HD100 all on the same network and using the same SageTV server. Both HD100's are using the latest beta firmware.

Any ideas on what's wrong?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Check sage.proeprties or the HD100's clients\<mac address>.properties for the rc5_disable property; if it exists, remove it & try again, especially if it is true. (It will probably get recreated & set to false.) If that isn't it, then I'm not sure what it is.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay tried that Andy. And nothing changed - no improvement.
So I decided to do the HD100 "recovery procedure". And then after that was done re-upped to the latest beta firmware.

After that it worked better but still not perfect. So now it did this:
1 keypress did nothing. 2 keypresses acted as one.
Like hit left button once, get nothing. Hit left button again and it goes left once. Very strange.

So I went into settings>commands>show sagetv commands linked to ir/keystroke.
And what I found was that every command required I hit each key twice. If I hit the left key it showed "no command" but if I hit it again it showed "left".

Not positive here, but what I think is going on is the person I got this HD100 from (bought it used) had tried to re-map the keys and messed it up. I didn't know how to reset the entire keymapping to the way it was when first delivered so I manually remapped each button of the HD100 using the settings>commands>Link IR/Keystroke function.

Took a while, but it works now so I'm happy. Just thought I'd share what I did to get it back to normal...
Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Actually, the other person's settings played no part here. What happened, which I forgot to mention, is that sage.properties has settings for the commands already, which overrode the default values in the .defaults file. If you remove the ui/rc_mapping lines from sage.properties, it would then use the proper defaults... but that might mess up the server UI remote response if you were not using service mode.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having this same exact problem with a brand new HD100 that I just received and installed yesterday. I'm a bit confused as to how to fix the problem though. My understanding was that since this was a new device to my network, it would have a unique MAC, and so it would get a default set of properties, right? This is replacing an MVP, so maybe it's somehow using that properties file.

I definitely didn't have any issues with the remote settings on my first HD100.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Extender/Placeshifter connections check their own properties files first. If the property isn't there, then it checks the server's property file (sage.properties). If the property isn't there, then it checks the file that has its default values (RemoteClients.properties.defaults). If the property isn't there, then it isn't set yet & uses whatever default the program specifies internally. (Oh -- and Sage.properties.defaults is in the mix somewhere.)

So, if the remote isn't configured correctly for an extender, then there's a good chance it is because the ui/rc_mappings/<command names> properties exist in sage.properties.

- Andy
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe my problem is different than Brent's after all. When I use the buttons on the front of my HD100 to try and navigate the menus, I get the same behavior. I've submitted a support request to SageTV.

-Chris
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

The front buttons act like remote button presses, so it would be affected by the same properties... unless it isn't working in its own server & setup menus while not connected to a SageTV server.

- Andy
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm still stumped on this one. It's really annoying because I really want to use this new extender. I checked my sage.properties file, and there are no rc_mappings entries. But, my remoteclients.properties.defaults DOES have lots of rc_mappings entries, and many of the commands seem to have multiple remote codes listed (maybe this is normal?) . I've attached the file in case someone can parse it.

I did try remapping the buttons as Brent did, but that only made things a little better. It still takes 2 clicks of each button to do anything, and sometimes you press repeatedly, and then all the commands catch up at once. Very annoying and nearly unusable.

-Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip RemoteClients.properties.zip (1.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Multiple IR codes can be learned for each command, so that would be expected. The real files to see are the sage.properties file (if using Vista, it may not be the one in the SageTV dir, but is in the VirtualStore instead) and the extender's properties file from the clients subdirectory -- <mac address>.properties.

- Andy
Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Attached are my sage.properties and the extender properties files.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sage.zip (27.9 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Try getting rid of the rc5_disable property -- it is in sage.properties in your case. Make sure you exit SageTV before editing sage.properties.

That property may be set to false in the other extender's property file, like it should be, and that would be why the other extender's remote works fine.

- Andy
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Try getting rid of the rc5_disable property -- it is in sage.properties in your case. Make sure you exit SageTV before editing sage.properties.

That property may be set to false in the other extender's property file, like it should be, and that would be why the other extender's remote works fine.
Brilliant, this cleared up the problem. I feel stupid for missing that from your earlier post. I had inserted the rc5_disable tag in my sage.properties file when I was trying to get my MX500 remote to work correctly with my first HD100 extender (which didn't work, BTW), and then I promptly forgot that I put it in there.

Thanks for your help Andy.

-Chris