SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Sage User

CallerID and Sage

Hey all, I'm new to the forum but I've been following sage for quite a bit. I am currently using MCE but I am thinking about switching to sage because of all the bruahaha in MCE land with cable card, DirecTV, lack of format support, etc. I hear great things about the media extender as well.

I currently use a media extender with a headless server and I hear great things about the sage extender. One problem that I'm having to cope with is the callerID feature. I've been looking around the forums and it looks like there was a plugin but is not working so well with the extender.

Even looking at DVRs from directv, comcast and Tivo, all of them offer callerID on the screen. Does anyone know if this feature will be available on Sage? I think this a feature that is on par with the weather, which is natively supported by sage.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

Here is the thread you are referring: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10699

I was able to get it to work on my server and MVP (2 of them) but not my client compuer. But I since then disconnected my phone line to my modem. I have recently replaced the client coputer with HD100 (still have my mvps). I am planning on trying to see if I can get it to work again in about a month.

I, too, would like to see it work easier.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

+1
Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
+1
+1 more...

mlody11, you probably ought to submit this to Sage as a suggestion for future releases (though I doubt it would be very high on their priority list). I don't think they read these boards for suggestions and ideas.

On that note, I would love to see a published list by Sage, on the board here, about what items have been suggested and what they are currently working on adding... maybe not a specific, numbered, priority list, but a "we are working to add x, y, and z, and hope to later add a, b, and c" kind of thing.

You might be better served to do a little "bumping" of that thread in the customizations forum, hoping to egg someone on, to try to get it working on the Extenders. The only problem is it seems like many of the very talented (and active) programmers are switching to SageMC and leaving the standard STV folk behind.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Sage Expert

All my telephone lines at my house are VOIP...Thus the network already has the caller idea information. (no need to connect phone lines to computer) So, you would think it would be much easier to do caller ID with SAGE and VOIP.

I started looking around a month ago to figure it out and some things looked promising, but I got away from it and have had time to go figure it out..

Gary Ellis
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Sage Icon

What voip service do you have?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
All my telephone lines at my house are VOIP...Thus the network already has the caller idea information. (no need to connect phone lines to computer) So, you would think it would be much easier to do caller ID with SAGE and VOIP.

I started looking around a month ago to figure it out and some things looked promising, but I got away from it and have had time to go figure it out..

Gary Ellis
It depends. If your voip is not terminated into asterisk, but into a TA like a linksys PAP, then the device isn't programmable and won't share the CallerID into with you. No problem though, as you just stick a modem card in the server and connect it to the phone line and you are good to go.
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Sage Expert

Mike you lost me...

I have 2 VOIP...

1 with Lingo.com I use an adapter connected to my router.

1 with AT&T They gave me a linksys 2 port router that also has phone jacks...It is also connected to my router.

Each shows caller ID on my telephones. Now I want to figure out how to see the ID on my computer using caller ID capture software and thus, maybe it then can be used with Sage..

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage Icon

garyellis,

I have vonage which has a phone to connect my regular phone. The box is connected to my network/internet. I bought a usbmodem to connect to my computer and is connected to the box (splitter with my phone). Sounds like what you have with AT&T, not sure about lingo.com Edit: Here is how lingo works: http://www.lingo.com/resources/jsp/how_it_works.jsp all you need is a modem in your computer. See post # 2.

You can use any modem which has callerid function.

Last edited by QueOnda; 07-29-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

My experience with the caller ID plugin (nielms) and the HD extender is that it works for a while, but if the HD extender ever gets powered off and powered back on, it will no longer display the caller ID screen. The only way to recover is to restart the SageTV service and reconnect the HD extender.

Last edited by shadeblue.com; 08-02-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
a big yes to skype
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am using software from Arcosoft called Vonalink Screenpop, http://www.arcosoft.com/vonalink/ScreenPopWin.htm that is dedicated to cid for voip, ie requires no modem.
It works similar to identafone, http://www.identafone.com/ which I used for years except, you don't need an analogue modem but you do need a network hub and not a switch for the program to work.
Both programs project a screen overlay with the callers details, name and number.
I don't know if the Vonalink Screenpop can be implemented into sage to make it available to the extender but with voip becoming increasingly popular, some sort of solution cannot be far off.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Skype2YAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
a big yes to skype
Hello wbarber69,

We have just posted a new utility to these forums called Skype2YAC. Used in conjunction with Nielm's CallerID/Message popup plugin for SageTV, this allows you to display Skype caller ID directly in your SageTV user interface.

More information and the download is available here: Skype2YAC

Last edited by shadeblue.com; 08-02-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfiles View Post
I am using software from Arcosoft called Vonalink Screenpop, http://www.arcosoft.com/vonalink/ScreenPopWin.htm that is dedicated to cid for voip, ie requires no modem.
It works similar to identafone, http://www.identafone.com/ which I used for years except, you don't need an analogue modem but you do need a network hub and not a switch for the program to work.
Both programs project a screen overlay with the callers details, name and number.
I don't know if the Vonalink Screenpop can be implemented into sage to make it available to the extender but with voip becoming increasingly popular, some sort of solution cannot be far off.
I just looked at the Arcosoft application and was intrigued. I don't like the idea of using a hub and am pretty sure it would not work via wireless. Would be nice to have a small device that you could plug in just ahead of the VOIP adapter that would pick out the CID info and pass it on to the network like YAC. Ideally it would have 2 network connections, the first to read the CID info and the other to plug into your LAN to pass the info to the network.

Wayne
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo View Post
I don't like the idea of using a hub and am pretty sure it would not work via wireless.
Wayne
So far as the hub goes, I just use two lan cards, one to the switch and one to the hub, works well.
Unfortunately it does not work over a wireless connection but I have a lot of hd content on my server, so I use cat5.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It looks like the Vonalink Screenpop software does support an option to execute a custom program upon detection of a ring. You could easily configure this to send messages to YAC listeners. In fact, in their documentation they refer to examples on how to setup to send to YAC.

http://www.arcosoft.com/vonalink/Scr...ideWin.htm#api

See Appendix B.2

Using Nielm's caller ID/info popup plugin, it is a YAC listener, you can get the caller ID messages directed to extenders. Now there is a bug either in the plugin or in the Sage HD extender that is currently limiting the usability of this plugin for the HD extender, but hopefully that will be addressed by Nielm or Sage?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I forgot about the third party application option.
I guess, if you installed the virtual modem that would give YAC what it needs to transmit the data that Nielms plugin required.

I will set it up and have a play.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I forgot about the third party application option.
I guess, if you installed the virtual modem that would give YAC what it needs to transmit the data that Nielms plugin required.

I will set it up and have a play.
Not sure about the need for a vitual modem. I think all you would have to do is pass the caller ID info fields to the "YACTextSend for Windows" utility in the correct format. The "YACTextSend for Windows" utility requires that YAC be installed, but if you prefer, I can create a small EXE utility that can accept the command line parameters and send a YAC network messages to YAC listeners. This way you would not need to install YAC and have it running all the time.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is Nielm's plugin supported anymore? I went to the callerid plugin thread and the wiki page with the download link is no longer there. http://www.sage-community.org/index....oduleInfoPopup
At the end of Nielm's plugin thread there is a little discussion on the Vonalink screenpop app but no resolution. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...=10699&page=12
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Is Nielm's plugin supported anymore? I went to the callerid plugin thread and the wiki page with the download link is no longer there. http://www.sage-community.org/index....oduleInfoPopup
At the end of Nielm's plugin thread there is a little discussion on the Vonalink screenpop app but no resolution. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...=10699&page=12
It is located here:
http://tools.assembla.com/sageplugin...oduleInfoPopup

The is an unresolved issue using this plugin with the HD Extender. I can get it working, but it stops working on a reboot or power cycle of the Extender. I have to restart the SageTV service to get it working again. I'm not sure if this plugin is considered "unsupported" or not? I am actively looking for a resolution to this issue as well. I wish I new the Sage development environment a little better.

Last edited by shadeblue.com; 08-07-2008 at 07:32 PM.