SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage User

Wake up a STB via Firewire ?

My STB's hard drive spins down when the STB goes to sleep. Because of this, when my firewire changes channels, it only wakes up the STB, but does not change channels and I record the wrong thing.

I am have read various threads on setting up USB IRT to wake up an STB, but I dont have one of those. I am using firewire to change channels, and need to know how to wake up the STD once it is asleep.

Any one do this yet ?

-G
Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Which STB are you using? I'm not aware of any specific firewire command to wake an STB, but maybe you could try disabling it from ever going to sleep in the first place. I noticed some info on the AVS forum on how to do this with the SA8300HD - if it's possible with your STB, I'm sure you'll find the how-to is out there.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCguy View Post
Which STB are you using? I'm not aware of any specific firewire command to wake an STB, but maybe you could try disabling it from ever going to sleep in the first place. I noticed some info on the AVS forum on how to do this with the SA8300HD - if it's possible with your STB, I'm sure you'll find the how-to is out there.

I am using an SA8300HDC ! Thats great!
I have set it so the STB itself doesnt go to sleep. The hard drive inside spins down, and when I go to change channels it will spin up the drive, but misses the channel change.

I will have to check out the AVSForums, thanks =D

If you have link that would incredibly helpful.

[Edit: I found the page you were talking about, I think, and I hope my version is the same, and will try to turn off auto-shutdown, thanks for the tip]

Thanks,
-G

Last edited by sorrowstyr; 08-05-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: found page
Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are going to use SageTV, you might want to consider exchanging your cable company DVR for a basic single-tuner set top box. Any additional functionality is useless (from SageTV's perspective) and may in fact interfere with SageTV operation. For example, if you try to schedule any recordings on your SA8300 directly, this could conflict with SageTV recordings.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
If you are going to use SageTV, you might want to consider exchanging your cable company DVR for a basic single-tuner set top box. Any additional functionality is useless (from SageTV's perspective) and may in fact interfere with SageTV operation. For example, if you try to schedule any recordings on your SA8300 directly, this could conflict with SageTV recordings.

Aloha,
Mike
Right now my wife still has a bunch of Filipino shows on the DVR, and I havent ported them over yet. I was hoping if I could get this to work, I could keep it as a back up to SageTV, but we will see. I might just dump the DVR like you said and go with just an HD tuner.