SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Sage Expert

Unhappy Need help please!! Sage service constantly crashes when HD-PVR is installed

My adventures trying to get the HD-PVR installed and working properly continue. I'm fighting battles on about a half dozen fronts right now, but this latest one is new, and the most severe.

After uninstalling and re-installing the HD-PVR a handful of times (trying to get IR issues sorted out), the Sage service now crashes any time I attempt to run Sage with the HD-PVR added as a source. If the HD-PVR is installed but not added within Sage as a source, everything works fine (with the other installed tuner(s)). As soon as I add the HD-PVR as a source, whenever I try to view the guide, view live TV, or view a recorded program, I immediately get the error message "The connection to the SageTV service has been lost. The connection will be reestablished once the SageTV service restarts."

If I attempt to run Sage in non-service mode, the entire UI just crashes at the same point.

Help please!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator

When re-installing the HD-PVR drivers, were you using the Hauppauge tool to remove the drivers first?

Since you must be using the beta, make sure debug logging is on & see what it says when it crashes. You could file a bug report for help with what the log says.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, I've been running the HCWClean program when uninstalling. I check the logs, and I'm getting a hs_err_pid[number].log file every time it crashes. It looks like Java is basically crashing. I have no idea how or why. When I initially installed the HD-PVR, it certainly didn't have this problem.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

I experienced the same problem when I was trying to get the Hauppauge IR blaster to work. It was almost like Sage would only handle a small number of attempts before crapping out.

Unfortunately I found I have to uninstall Sage, delete the remaining SageTV folder under Program files, and reinstall Sage from scratch. You could probably save your wiz.bin file if you have a lot of customizations. I didn't, so I simply deleted and reinstalled.

A couple of things I found with the Hauppauge IR. First you need to set it up correctly using the Hauppauge IRConfig program. When you find the correct STB, press the test button and see if the software turns the box off. If it does, then you have the correct settings. Then load the HD-PVR in Sage like normal and select the Hauppauge IR blaster during the HD-PVR installation.

Once you've added the HD-PVR as a video source. Go back in and choose the IR device - it is probably set to Stub File or something like that. You should be able to find a file that matches the name of the STB you choose in the IRConfg program. Choose that file. Now here is the part that messed me up. You cannot use the "test" buttons or anything else at first. It won't work and therefore I assumed it wasn't set up correctly.

The fact is that it probably does work. If it doesn't work as expected, turn the HD-PVR off for 10-20 seconds and then power it back on. If it still doesn't work, reboot the computer. If it still doesn't work, recycle the HD-PVR again. It really isn't a Sage problem at this point, it is simply hitting the right combination of powering the devices on and off until everything is recognized.

Hopefully this will help. I definitely had the exact same problem. Don't get too frustrated, you can get it set up.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Sage Expert

Somehow unchecking all of my channels and saving the source with no channels, then re-enabling the channels I'm subscribed to fixed the problem. I have no idea why. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Sage User

Question Weird HD-PVR/Sage/Java problem

I've just encountered a really strange problem and I'm not sure where to even start with it. I've got a PVR-150 and an HD-PVR on my server (XP), going to an HD100 extender. Now, I haven't been using the HD-PVR because I've had setup and crashing problems with it and didn't have time to play with it. So, I now have the time and started to play: updated SageTV to 6.4.6, new firmware (804?) on the extender, updated to the newest Java (update 7), finally removed the PVR-150 drives and installed the HD-PVR drivers. At every step, everything worked perfectly. Until the last.

Once I put the HD-PVR drivers on and rebooted, I get a service crash every time I go to the Guide or try to play a recorded file or Live TV. Crashing on playback makes a little sense, sort of, but crashing on Guide? I reverted to 6.4.5, then 6.4.4, with no changes. It feels like a Java issue, but it works fine with the PVR-150 and I can't imagine that video capture drivers are screwing with Java. Now, several weeks ago the HD-PVR worked fairly well, it just got goofy occasionally (once a day or so). Now I'm getting this service crash. Reverting to the PVR-150 drivers fixes everything, except that I've got no HD.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

* merged *
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyTiger View Post
I've just encountered a really strange problem and I'm not sure where to even start with it. I've got a PVR-150 and an HD-PVR on my server (XP), going to an HD100 extender. Now, I haven't been using the HD-PVR because I've had setup and crashing problems with it and didn't have time to play with it. So, I now have the time and started to play: updated SageTV to 6.4.6, new firmware (804?) on the extender, updated to the newest Java (update 7), finally removed the PVR-150 drives and installed the HD-PVR drivers. At every step, everything worked perfectly. Until the last.

Once I put the HD-PVR drivers on and rebooted, I get a service crash every time I go to the Guide or try to play a recorded file or Live TV. Crashing on playback makes a little sense, sort of, but crashing on Guide? I reverted to 6.4.5, then 6.4.4, with no changes. It feels like a Java issue, but it works fine with the PVR-150 and I can't imagine that video capture drivers are screwing with Java. Now, several weeks ago the HD-PVR worked fairly well, it just got goofy occasionally (once a day or so). Now I'm getting this service crash. Reverting to the PVR-150 drivers fixes everything, except that I've got no HD.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

* merged *
Try disabling all of the channels in your HD-PVR lineup and choose "done with channels". Close Sage down, then re-open it, go back into the channel lineup for the HD-PVR and re-enable just a couple of channels. It might take a few minutes (or a restart of Sage) for the new channels to show up in the EPG. Try to tune one of them now. If all is working well, go back and add in the rest of your channels.

This is what worked for me for some reason, even though I just re-added all the same channels I had before. No idea why.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
A couple of things I found with the Hauppauge IR. First you need to set it up correctly using the Hauppauge IRConfig program. When you find the correct STB, press the test button and see if the software turns the box off. If it does, then you have the correct settings. Then load the HD-PVR in Sage like normal and select the Hauppauge IR blaster during the HD-PVR installation.

Once you've added the HD-PVR as a video source. Go back in and choose the IR device - it is probably set to Stub File or something like that. You should be able to find a file that matches the name of the STB you choose in the IRConfg program. Choose that file. Now here is the part that messed me up. You cannot use the "test" buttons or anything else at first. It won't work and therefore I assumed it wasn't set up correctly.

The fact is that it probably does work. If it doesn't work as expected, turn the HD-PVR off for 10-20 seconds and then power it back on. If it still doesn't work, reboot the computer. If it still doesn't work, recycle the HD-PVR again. It really isn't a Sage problem at this point, it is simply hitting the right combination of powering the devices on and off until everything is recognized.

Hopefully this will help. I definitely had the exact same problem. Don't get too frustrated, you can get it set up.
It sounds like you don't have any other Hauppauge devices in your machine right? I've got a 1600. I can get the IR working fine when it's not installed, but can't get it to work at all when it is installed. If you're successfully using the Hauppauge IR blaster even with a second Hauppauge card in your system, you'd be the first I've heard of that's done it successfully. Please let me know if so.