SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Universal remotes

I'm looking to buy a universal remote (i.e-logitech harmony). Would I be able to program it for use with the HD100?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGk View Post
I'm looking to buy a universal remote (i.e-logitech harmony). Would I be able to program it for use with the HD100?
I LOVE my Harmony 688. And more importantly, my wife loves it too. I works great with the HD100. The HD100 is in the logitech software already (making setup a snap), but it's not necessarily where you'd expect. For device, choose Media Center PC. Manufacturer is SageTV, and model is STX-HD100.

I don't have experience with other remotes, but there is some information in FAQ...

Tim
Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Harmony is great. Do not overpay by buying a too expensive model. They have more or less the same capabilities. I have 525s in each room, and they are really cheap.

/Per
Old 08-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

I had to service a theater with a Harmony and it was a complete PITA, that thing is the AOL of theater remotes. Unless you have a very simple system I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
I had to service a theater with a Harmony and it was a complete PITA, that thing is the AOL of theater remotes. Unless you have a very simple system I wouldn't suggest it.
Any suggestions for other remotes to consider?

Tim
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's about the conclusion I came to when I last tried one. I spent about as much time fighting the web interface trying to program it as I did using it. But then again I (and it sounds like you) want to retain much of the advanced functionality all my equipment provides. If I just had a DVD Player, DVR, TV and AVR in a "normal" configuration they'd probably be great.

If there was a way to get around the wizards, and just program them, they'd probably be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by othy View Post
Any suggestions for other remotes to consider
I'm seriously considering a URC, they've got some really great remotes. I haven't jumped in yet though because I think what I need (OK want) is the MX-980 with the MSC-400 controller, and that's a bit of an investment.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

I decided to buy the Harmony ONE. It is excellent for my setup. I have it programmed for Sage, STB(for HD viewing), PS3 for blu-ray control, DVD player, and Xbox (just to change the "source" on the TV). So far I love it, and it still has the advanced controls that each remote had, which can be accessed via the touch screen menu.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That's about the conclusion I came to when I last tried one. I spent about as much time fighting the web interface trying to program it as I did using it. But then again I (and it sounds like you) want to retain much of the advanced functionality all my equipment provides. If I just had a DVD Player, DVR, TV and AVR in a "normal" configuration they'd probably be great.

If there was a way to get around the wizards, and just program them, they'd probably be better.
There is some justification for this, but things have improved a bit since the interface now allows proper macros. The best interface for configuring the device is the completely web-based version at members.harmonyremote.com

I think even for tinkering people (like myself), once you adapt to the configuration tool (and ignore the stupid parts of it), there are no better remotes to be had. Quick to do a basic set-up, and then it can be extensively fine-tuned. As I said, for the price of the cheapest models, the performance is absolutely great.

/Per
Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGk View Post
I decided to buy the Harmony ONE. It is excellent for my setup. I have it programmed for Sage, STB(for HD viewing), PS3 for blu-ray control, DVD player, and Xbox (just to change the "source" on the TV). So far I love it, and it still has the advanced controls that each remote had, which can be accessed via the touch screen menu.
I too have the Harmony One. And I must say it is really rather good. I also have a 525 which I was really happy with - that was until I got the One. In comparison to the One it feels rather cheap meaning I am going have to replace the 525 with another One.

Yes - the setup software is absolutley aweful and counter intuitive - but once you get it to do what you need the remote looks great, works great and does everything you need - so it was worth the pain. Maybe I will give the web based setup a go and see if that is better as I have not yet tried that.

T
Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Sage User

I have been trying to be really cheap about the remote. I tried a couple of cheap universals with DVR functionality from Wal-mart and Radio Shack. Believe it or not, a cheap Phillips remote served most of my needs. However, when trying to use it with the USB-UIRT the remote appeared to send the same code for two buttons in close proximity. That made it a no go.

So, I am leaning toward one of the less expensive Harmony remotes.
Do they work with USB-UIRT's fine? (e.g. after using their website can I teach codes to the UIRT easily?)

Are they worth the expense? I have a fairly simple set up.. tv, dvd, sage (through a UIRT to my stb), receiver, all in the same room.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Sage Icon

The best remote I have is my snapstream firefly in combination with EventGhost, it's way cheaper and way more powerful then just about anything.

Stanger the URC is very nice, not cheap solution. Buy a Firefly and play with EventGhost, if you aren't fully satisifed I'll buy them from you for retail, then go for the URC.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Sage Icon

What I like about the URC ones is that:
1) They're programmable from a very simple PC interface
2) 10 hardbuttons that you can put text against.

I have the MX850, way overkill, but looks pretty dang nice. Here's my setup. NOte that the top buttons select between the Wii, DVD Player, and SageHD100 vidsource.

Bdoor is turning the back door light on & off (zWave light, connected via CQC).

Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Stanger the URC is very nice, not cheap solution. Buy a Firefly and play with EventGhost, if you aren't fully satisifed I'll buy them from you for retail, then go for the URC.
No, URC isn't cheap (I'm still procrastinating) but they seem to be one of the best out there for setting up an entire system.

Harmonies are nice if you've got a standard setup of a TV, maybe a couple of STBs, (including Sage) and maybe an AVR, especially if you're typical and have it all in a rack colocated with the TV.

Problem for me is, (beyond the horrid programming interface) I've got stuff all around. I've got the HD100 (which is finicky with remote aiming), an SSP with full-bidirectional serial control capability, a DVD Player, my HTPC (blu-ray), Xbox 360. Those are all up in front of me, but then directly above/behind I've got my projector, which you need to point the remote at to work, and behind and to the left I've got my Lutron IR dimmer lights.

It's quite a bit more complicated of a setup than a Harmony is really configured for, especially with the rather complex IR sensor layout. So I'm still holding out to go "all out" with probably a good URC remote and the MSC-400 system controller which has serial capabilities, as well as IR blasters and trigger sensors to tell if things are on/off and the like.

And FWIW, there are much cheaper URC options, the MX-500 is about $70.

And as for Firefly, I'm sure it works great to control the PC, I use a Streamzap with Girder to control my PC, but it's useless for anything beyond the PC.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Sage Expert

I love my URC. Admittedly it's one of the cheaper "home" versions since when I bought it 3 years ago the "professional versions" were still much more expensive.

Without the PC interface it's more difficult to set up but extremly powerful and flexible. I love how you can attach a macro to the device buttons without killing the normal function. Hardest part was finding and teaching the discrete codes.

I got my father the Harmony for his setup because it was easier to set up, and the web interface isn't that bad any more and you can dig into it to get more functionality, but when it works it's easy, when it doesn't it's really difficult to tweak in order to fix it.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
And FWIW, there are much cheaper URC options, the MX-500 is about $70.
I wouldn't go with that one -- the MX-500 is much harder to program, since it has no PC interface from URC and, like a lot of their remotes, cannot properly learn RC-5 IR codes.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I own three MX-700 remotes. I may buy another soon for a spare. They show up on eBay all the time.

I've had no reason to look at any other remote.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

The thing I like about the MX850 over the MX800/MX750 is the seperate "select" button in the middle. I have an MX800 also, and i'm constantly mis-hitting left/right instead of select.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
The thing I like about the MX850 over the MX800/MX750 is the seperate "select" button in the middle. I have an MX800 also, and i'm constantly mis-hitting left/right instead of select.
True. That is annoying. 850 huh?

I also double up the ENT button in the bottom right corner as the same.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I also double up the ENT button in the bottom right corner as the same.
Yep, that's what I did. If you have all MX700's, i guess it's not that big a deal. For us, we have the MX850 in the H/T room, so we're used to just pressing the select/center button. That highlights how much of a PITA it is in the MBR to move your hand down to the bottom right though, makes you have to look down or use two hands.

Two hands or looking down? Alas, the pain! :-)
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Sage User

My Harmony 659 has been absolutely perfect for the TV, HD100, DVD, Surround, and projector.

jdj