SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
No, URC isn't cheap (I'm still procrastinating) but they seem to be one of the best out there for setting up an entire system.

Harmonies are nice if you've got a standard setup of a TV, maybe a couple of STBs, (including Sage) and maybe an AVR, especially if you're typical and have it all in a rack colocated with the TV.

Problem for me is, (beyond the horrid programming interface) I've got stuff all around. I've got the HD100 (which is finicky with remote aiming), an SSP with full-bidirectional serial control capability, a DVD Player, my HTPC (blu-ray), Xbox 360. Those are all up in front of me, but then directly above/behind I've got my projector, which you need to point the remote at to work, and behind and to the left I've got my Lutron IR dimmer lights.

It's quite a bit more complicated of a setup than a Harmony is really configured for, especially with the rather complex IR sensor layout. So I'm still holding out to go "all out" with probably a good URC remote and the MSC-400 system controller which has serial capabilities, as well as IR blasters and trigger sensors to tell if things are on/off and the like.

And FWIW, there are much cheaper URC options, the MX-500 is about $70.

And as for Firefly, I'm sure it works great to control the PC, I use a Streamzap with Girder to control my PC, but it's useless for anything beyond the PC.

I can see the problems with aiming (although my experience is that the Harmonies are less direction sensitive than most stock remotes), but otherwise I do not see Harmony as only for "simple" systems. On the contrary, due to the way it is configured, it can quickly be set up to handle a system of your complexity, although you might be irritated that you have to switch from an "activity" to a "device" and then back to do specific things - but with some more work, most of that can be taken care of as well.

/Per
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Harmony

Two Harmony 500's and one 880. Both models work fine with the HD100 or an MVP. I actually like the less expensive 500's more as the buttons are spaced unlike those on the 880. 500's ~ $60.00 new on Ebay.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I wouldn't go with that one -- the MX-500 is much harder to program, since it has no PC interface from URC and, like a lot of their remotes, cannot properly learn RC-5 IR codes.

- Andy
I agree. I have a MX-500 and MX-600 (both basically same hardware) and love them both. However, I can't get them to work properly with my HD100s which is a problem since I now only have a single HTPC client at a TV these days. The HD100's are just too good not to use them at the TV.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perf View Post
I can see the problems with aiming (although my experience is that the Harmonies are less direction sensitive than most stock remotes), but otherwise I do not see Harmony as only for "simple" systems. On the contrary, due to the way it is configured, it can quickly be set up to handle a system of your complexity, although you might be irritated that you have to switch from an "activity" to a "device" and then back to do specific things - but with some more work, most of that can be taken care of as well.

/Per
Maybe, I just know that I quickly grew frustrated with my Xbox 360 Harmony (basically the 550 IIRC). I had a heck of a time getting it to do what I wanted, and on top of that, I just didn't like the feel of it.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
And as for Firefly, I'm sure it works great to control the PC, I use a Streamzap with Girder to control my PC, but it's useless for anything beyond the PC.
Well considering you have Sage you will most likely always have a PC running. I use my firefly to control everything, including an MVP.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm another URC fan. I've got two MX-900s, and they work great with the HD extenders. One thing I *really* like about them is that they have seperate SKIP +/- buttons and FF/RW buttons. Works well with the two-speed trick play in Sage.

They also have the HD-100 in the IR database, so you don't have to train the remote.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD

Last edited by Slipshod; 08-12-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
SageTVaholic

IMHO - Go with a cheap remote which can be programed and by extras. The URC-6131N is a great example. Kids have a wonderful way of ruining remotes.

B
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
I have the MX-980 with the MRF-350 base, I am thinking of getting a MSC-400 now after using the remote for a few weeks. I don't have a problem with the MRF-350 but I want to do power sensing on some components. This is a great remote.
Yeah, the main reason I want the MSC-400 is because it's required for serial control and both my AVM-20 SSP and W5000 projector support RS232 serial control. That's way better than IR.

Quote:
Make sure if you buy one that you get it through an authorized dealer that will give you the software.
I thought you could just go to the website and register yourself with the serial of the remote and download the software there?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 AM
SageTVaholic

I've been using an MX-500 for about 5 years or so, and I really do like it. Programming was bit of a pain, because of no supplied computer interface, but a few years ago, someone had manufactured a device that could 'clone' it to and from a PC (the IR-CLONE i believe). Has worked alright for me. RC-5 codes are not a problem for me anymore as I can convert Pronto codes and put them in the MX-500. This has allowed me to use discrete power-ons for all my equipment.

I have found though, that with the move to the HTPC, the only 'advanced' feature i use over any generic remote, is the macro's for turning my system on and off, and the ability to use non-learnable discrete codes. I never even move off of a single device screen, unless I'm troubleshooting. All button presses go to Girder, and from there I send the commands to the appropriate program.

If I was buying now, I would probably go with the 850, for the reasons posted before (the select button, and built-in computer connectivity).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 AM
SageTVaholic

MX-900 for $200

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Profession...8712962&sr=8-3
Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been super-happy with my Harmony. In my experience, most programmable universals will work just as well as the Harmony IF all of your device have discrete codes, not toggle codes (so there is an IR code that will turn your TV on and an IR code that will turn your TV off, not a single IR code that says "turn off if you're on, on if you're off"). If that isn't the case though (you're stuck with toggle codes) then the Harmony blows the pants off the others because it basically remembers what is on, what is off and what inputs/outputs each device is on.

Also, I've found the Harmony remotes to be *very* easy to setup IF you understand "the Harmony way". If you're coming into it with experience programming other remotes (and are thinking in terms of macros and such) you're going to be frustrated, because it requires a totally different mindset.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been using my Xbox Harmony (I'm a VMC convert), and it works great. I had to finagle it to work with my Vizio's quirky input commands, but it seems to work great.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

So, has anyone actually compared a Harmony (eg 980) and a URC physically? I remember I wasn't impressed with the feel of my 360 Harmony.

Also anybody used the RF extender/repeater for the Harmony?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So, has anyone actually compared a Harmony (eg 980) and a URC physically? I remember I wasn't impressed with the feel of my 360 Harmony.

Also anybody used the RF extender/repeater for the Harmony?
I own both an MX-700 and a Harmony 890. I like the feel and button layout of the MX-700 much better. Right now I use the 890 because I can't bring myself to go back to IR after using RF. If I could afford a nice RF URC remote, I'd do it. But it isn't in the budget right now.

For the record, I had to reprogram the harmony a couple of months ago when I set up my HD100. Their software/website has improved dramatically since the last time I programmed it. (But given the chance, I'd still go back to URC)

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have an MX-500 and I love it but its over 5 yrs old and wearing. I've seem the MX-700 and 850 but they are missing the extra skip buttons. How do you guys program your MX700/MX850 for the 2 skips?

Technazz
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I have an MX-500 and I love it but its over 5 yrs old and wearing. I've seem the MX-700 and 850 but they are missing the extra skip buttons. How do you guys program your MX700/MX850 for the 2 skips?

Technazz
I used to use the bottom two LCD buttons. Not the best solution, but definitely functional.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I used to use the bottom two LCD buttons. Not the best solution, but definitely functional.
Same here & that's what is in the MX-700 setup files I've uploaded.

One modification I made to my MX-700 was to write the NTE letters next to each number with a fine point Sharpie marker.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I've seem the MX-700 and 850 but they are missing the extra skip buttons. How do you guys program your MX700/MX850 for the 2 skips?

Technazz
In the MBR, I use the inner right button for skip1, outer right for skip2. I use the 2 bottom LCD buttons for left/right.

I use CQC in the H/T, so i'm at a bit of an advantage there. There's an IRA-3 IR receiver catching all the IR signals, so when i press the inner right button CQC looks to see if SageTV is the current active video source, and if a video is playing. If so, then it sends Skip1 to SageTV. If SageTV is active but a video is not playing, it sends Right to SageTV.

The extra cool bit about that is my play/pause/stop/right/left/up/down buttons work for SageTV/DVD/CD without me having to "switch" devices - CQC reads the Denon input to see what's active, and intelligently routes the correct command to the correct device.

Not having to worry about multiple remotes, or switching devices on a single remote is one my in-laws favorite bits of the system.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use URC MX-650's and URC 300's for RF - no problems whatsoever, and my wife uses it with no problems.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Sage Expert

I bought (3) URC 8910's..IMHO, they are wonderful and very cheap..about $25... They are JP1 programmable and work great with Sage and the HD-100.

Gary Ellis