SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Placeshifter Won't Connect.....

Ok, so I've tried 3 routers now, a Linksys Wireless B, A Netgear WGR614, and a BRAND NEW Linksys WRT54GS that I just picked up from walmart. Nothing seems to make it work. I've forwarded the right ports (I can get the web admin to work). I've tried using the windows firewall, and turning it off. I've unintalled Zone alarm. I've tried with and without uPnP. I can't even get the placeshifter to work on the local network anymore. I'm at a total loss as to what to do. Is there anything I can do to check to see what's wrong? Placeshifter used to work locally, and my MVP's are working good. But not the placeshifter software, local network or internet.

-Todd

<- 2 Wireless MVP's (Running Wired Mode) -> <- 1 Wired MVP ->
Old 08-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Sage Expert

I usually test placeshifter using IP addressing, first on the LAN then on the WAN.
Testing with NO firewalls.
Reboot your router
Reboot your SageTV system
Toggle your SERVER setting off/on
Manage your placeshifter users > select user > Remove User (then recreate)

EDIT:
Todds final post found his info in this thread: Windows XP placeshifter - will not connect using LocatorID

Last edited by Conejo; 08-11-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Resolution
Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
I usually test placeshifter using IP addressing, first on the LAN then on the WAN.
Testing with NO firewalls.
Reboot your router
Reboot your SageTV system
Toggle your SERVER setting off/on
Manage your placeshifter users > select user > Remove User (then recreate)
Ok, so now it's working, not sure what I did, but I had tweaked a setting in sage (to make it load faster, it was something in properties file, completely irrelevant to this stuff), went back to the wireless b router (last known to have working placeshifter on local network), and rebooted sage machine. All of a sudden it works locally and from IP address, but not with the locator ID. While that's not 100% needed for me, it would definetly be nice..... I also switched back to the new Linksys WRT54GS and it's working with that also. Very very strange, since I was never able to get it working with WAN IP before, but whatever happened, I'm glad it's working. Anyone have any thoughts on getting the Locator ID working?

-Todd

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Sage Expert

Review the .pdf SageTV Manual
- Chapter 5, Step G6
- Appendix N: SageTV Placeshifter Client

Verify:
1. You have given your SageTV box a fixed (static) IP address on your LAN
2. Detailed Setup > Server > Configure PlaceShifter Internet Connection > configure:
Step 1: Configure PlaceShifter Connection
Step 2: Test PlaceShifter Connection
IF UPnP fails to set your router then manually configure it to forward port 31099 for TCP to the fixed (static) address of your SageTV box.

Some Diagnostic threads:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29291
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28418
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26489
Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Review the .pdf SageTV Manual
- Chapter 5, Step G6
- Appendix N: SageTV Placeshifter Client

Verify:
1. You have given your SageTV box a fixed (static) IP address on your LAN
2. Detailed Setup > Server > Configure PlaceShifter Internet Connection > configure:
Step 1: Configure PlaceShifter Connection
Step 2: Test PlaceShifter Connection
IF UPnP fails to set your router then manually configure it to forward port 31099 for TCP to the fixed (static) address of your SageTV box.

Some Diagnostic threads:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29291
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28418
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26489
It's regardless of if UPnP is working, because my placeshifter *IS* working. The issue is something to do with the placeshifter ID or whatever it's called. I can connect MANUALLY to the internet IP. It's just the placeshifter ID not working. I'm not sure how that works (does it tell sage.com where it's at?), but my guess is it's not getting the right ip......

Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, in a strange turn of events, for the sake of trying, I just tried with using the placeshifter ID, and it works. The test from the local box doesn't, but it does indeed work here on my main machine. Very odd, but I'll take it......

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3835 View Post
It's just the placeshifter ID not working. I'm not sure how that works (does it tell sage.com where it's at?), but my guess is it's not getting the right ip......
Glad to hear, in the followup post, that you got it working.

The LocatorID is used by SageTV to automate remote access for the Placeshifter client. The SageTV server normally uses UPnP to open a port in your firewall, creates a unique LocatorID number and sends that along with the active port address to a secure remote server at Sage. The remote server also records the return path IP Address. When you provide Placeshifter with the Locator ID it queries the secure server at Sage and it returns the information for Placeshifter to make a direct connection to your SageTV PC.

This, or they rely on magic elves that take unpredictable smoke breaks.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Glad to hear, in the followup post, that you got it working.

The LocatorID is used by SageTV to automate remote access for the Placeshifter client. The SageTV server normally uses UPnP to open a port in your firewall, creates a unique LocatorID number and sends that along with the active port address to a secure remote server at Sage. The remote server also records the return path IP Address. When you provide Placeshifter with the Locator ID it queries the secure server at Sage and it returns the information for Placeshifter to make a direct connection to your SageTV PC.

This, or they rely on magic elves that take unpredictable smoke breaks.
Ok, so I found out how to get the locator ID working. You have to forward port 8018 (noticed a thread around here somewhere suggesting telnet locator.sagetv.com 8018). I tried to telnet to that, failed. Opened port 8018, it worked, then tried the locator ID again, and it works =] So there's the problem!

-Todd

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3835 View Post
Ok, so I found out how to get the locator ID working. You have to forward port 8018 (noticed a thread around here somewhere suggesting telnet locator.sagetv.com 8018). I tried to telnet to that, failed. Opened port 8018, it worked, then tried the locator ID again, and it works =] So there's the problem!
... thus that port is listed in the firewall FAQ on the forum and in the firewall info in the SageTV manual -- Appendix N (about using Placeshifter) links to the firewall ports on pages 221 - 222. And, you don't have to forward it, the port just needs to be open (I don't forward it on my system).

I tried to document these types of things so people wouldn't have to struggle to solve the same things over and over.

Anyway, my point in posting this is as a reminder that there is a lot of info in the FAQ & the PDF manual, and the PDF has search capability and cross reference links.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.