SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Stoping a recording before its finished

Hello,
I'm a newbie but have been asking some questions lately. I have a question about stopping a recording. I come from MCE 2005 and if I hit the stop button before the recording was finished, while I was watching a recording, it gave me the option to stopped the recording and then asked if I wanted to delete the recording or keep it. It appears that when I hit the stop button in the same scenario in SageTV, it only get the option to resume, or delete. It doesn't give me the option to keep the recording. I'm I overlooking how to do this? I looked in the options but I may be missing it.

This may be in the wrong location. Please move it if it should be in a different location. I don't know of a way I can do that.

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited by crarbo1; 08-27-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Here's two ways I think you can stop liveTV playback and still keep the file:
  1. IF USING SAGEMC: During LiveTV, instead of hitting the stop button, hit the record button which will stop playback, but save the file that has recorded thus far
  2. IF USING SAGETV DEFAULT STV (DON'T IMPORT INTO SAGEMC) Nielm's Multi-Function Stop Plugin

Last edited by Brent; 08-28-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Correction about not importing multi-function stop into SageMC
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Recording in sagemc

Hey there,

Just to elaborate a bit...

In live tv you can press the record button the the remote or <ctrl>y on the keyboard to initiate recording. You will be asked if you would like to start recording from the current time.
Selecting Yes will dump the portion of live tv on that channel that's already been recorded and begin a new file from the current time.

Selecting No will keep whatever's already been recorded and continue recording.
To stop recording press the record button again. This will bring up a dialog saying "Do you want to save the partial recording of [show name]?" with options for "Yes", "No" and "Cancel". These options should be fairly self explainatory.

Once recording, pressing stop or <ctrl>g on the keyboard will stop playback in the osd but will not stop the recording.

Mick.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:20 AM
SageTVaholic

What Mick said.

One more thing...

Don't try to import nielm's Multifunction Stop Plugin into SageMC. It was designed for the default STV.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Brent,
Thanks for the information. I didn't think of hitting record again. That seems to do what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Here's two ways I think you can stop liveTV playback and still keep the file:
  1. During LiveTV, instead of hitting the stop button, hit the record button which will stop playback, but save the file that has recorded thus far
  2. Nielm's Multi-Function Stop Plugin

mickp,
Thanks for the additional information. That is good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Hey there,

Just to elaborate a bit...

In live tv you can press the record button the the remote or <ctrl>y on the keyboard to initiate recording. You will be asked if you would like to start recording from the current time.
Selecting Yes will dump the portion of live tv on that channel that's already been recorded and begin a new file from the current time.

Selecting No will keep whatever's already been recorded and continue recording.
To stop recording press the record button again. This will bring up a dialog saying "Do you want to save the partial recording of [show name]?" with options for "Yes", "No" and "Cancel". These options should be fairly self explainatory.

Once recording, pressing stop or <ctrl>g on the keyboard will stop playback in the osd but will not stop the recording.

Mick.
MeInMaui,
Thanks for the heads up on that plugin. I am using SageMC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
What Mick said.

One more thing...

Don't try to import nielm's Multifunction Stop Plugin into SageMC. It was designed for the default STV.
To all,
I did use the record button and it does work as advertised.
However, I do have another issue though now.
If I have a recording that I have not yet viewed, lets say a football game that I have a padding of 30 miniutes at the end, and I start watching it, it starts from the beginning. I watch the entire game and the padding is still left to record. I hit the record button like you suggested and it does give me the option to save recording. So I select that option just in case I want to watch it again. My issue is that when I go back to watch that recording, it starts at the end, not the beginning. Is there any way to fix that?

Thanks to all,
Chuck
Old 08-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

You can use the "Clear Watched" button on the "Program Info" screen to reset the watched status.

Mick.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry about confusing the issue above by mentioning the Multi-Stop thing.

I might add that while its good to be able to do what you want to by pressing the record button again, it would be nice to have an option when you press stop from liveTV or from a manual recording to either save the show or discard it. Some would probably argue that this complicates things though.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

I have this same issue w/ NASCAR races. I pad 30+min as a rule to try to cover hold-ups. If I'm caught up when the race ends I want to be able to hit Stop and actually stop the recording and/or delete the file. Someone suggested setting the Watched flag to get it to stop on its own, but that has varying degrees of success.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I might add that while its good to be able to do what you want to by pressing the record button again, it would be nice to have an option when you press stop from liveTV or from a manual recording to either save the show or discard it. Some would probably argue that this complicates things though.
This is how DirecTV's HD DVR does it. You hit stop and it asks you which one to do. It's PERFECT, in my opinion, and one of the few things I really like about their DVR.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mick,
Is this supposed to help my issue above? Unsure of how that would fix my issue but I can try it later.
Quote:
You can use the "Clear Watched" button on the "Program Info" screen to reset the watched status.

Mick.
Brent,
I fully agreee with you. It should be a selection to keep the recording I just stopped. Not sure why it is not there already. It seems to me with all of the ability of SageTV that this little thing would be an easy addtion. Maybe not though.
Quote:

hemicuda,
Amen to that! I watch sports mainly and always used alot of padding for rain delays and overtime periods. I haven't tried the watched flag yet but I will try it. Hopefully it will work for me. I just want a solution to this issue. Hopefully a better fix will be implemented with a future release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
I have this same issue w/ NASCAR races. I pad 30+min as a rule to try to cover hold-ups. If I'm caught up when the race ends I want to be able to hit Stop and actually stop the recording and/or delete the file. Someone suggested setting the Watched flag to get it to stop on its own, but that has varying degrees of success.
Skirge01,
I just came from MCE 2005 and this is how their stop button worked. To me, it seems like the logical way/place to put this feature. Why it is not in SageTV is beyond me. Hopefully it will be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
This is how DirecTV's HD DVR does it. You hit stop and it asks you which one to do. It's PERFECT, in my opinion, and one of the few things I really like about their DVR.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
Mick,
Is this supposed to help my issue above? Unsure of how that would fix my issue but I can try it later.
I think so. SageMC keeps track of how far through you've watched a show and returns you to that point the next time you play the file. You even see a little progress indicator on recordings (if you have that feature turned on).

My guess is that it's returning you to the end of the recording because that's where you've watched to.

Mick.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the update. I will have to see if that works in my scenario.

Quote:
I think so. SageMC keeps track of how far through you've watched a show and returns you to that point the next time you play the file. You even see a little progress indicator on recordings (if you have that feature turned on).

My guess is that it's returning you to the end of the recording because that's where you've watched to.

Mick.