SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Fixing my old hauppauge remote?

My remote that came with my pvr-350 seems to have given up the ghost,
but I still want to use the remote receiver that came with the 350. (Unless someone has an easy to configure relatively inexpensive alternative?)

Anyways, I'm sortof guessing that it may be the LED that has gone in the remote. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to confirm this, and/or to fix it? Will any IR LED work as a replacement?

The way I've confirmed its the remote and not the receiver is, I have a USB UIRT on another machine, and this remote doesnt make the red light come on, while others do.

thanks for any suggestions

(Suggestions on where I can buy an exact replacement are also welcome)

Cory
Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

if you have a low lux or night vision security camera you can point the remote at that and you should be able to see the LED's light up/flahs if they are working.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

There's always the obvious thing to check, just in case you haven't: the batteries.

Hauppauge sells a replacement remote.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
if you have a low lux or night vision security camera you can point the remote at that and you should be able to see the LED's light up/flahs if they are working.
I've always been able to see remote flashes through my Cannon camera (point-and-shoot type)
Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hey guys

Opus: the batteries are fresh and confirmed good. Thanks for the link, for $10 it may be my best option, although I hate ordering stuff through the border because its always a hassle it seems. (In Canada)

Humanzee & Matt -- thanks for the tip, I will see if my point and shoot can do the trick for this.

Can anyone comment on replacing the IR LED with a random one from radio shack (I think they only have one type there anyways ... and they are sold 'matched') ... since I have the remote apart and the LED unsoldered at this point I wouldnt mind finishing the job just for the satisfaction, and its actually more convenient for me than waiting for stuff to cross customs.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about IR LED types and whether this is likely or not to work. Can anyone comment?

thanks,

Cory
Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

In my experience LED's just don't fail. I think its more likely some corrosion on the circuit board one of chips isn't working to spec anymore bad button or wire connecting the batteries etc.

If you get a camera working that can pick up the IR light given off by another one of your remotes you can likely check the LED in your Hauppauge by jumping it with a AA battery. Remember it is a diode so try both polarities off your battery.

Also, you can try finding a battery operated AM radio and place it adjacent to your remote. A working remote will usually put off a series of rhythmic static chirps when you press a button.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanks humanzee. I agree with you on the probable source, but changing the LED was about the only thing I could do myself so "it has to be that"

Hopefully I'll get to try this out sometime today.

Great tips btw, thanks

Cory