SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Sage User

VIDEO_TS aspect ratios wrong after upgrade

I just upgraded my HD100's firmware to the latest version, and my Mac SageTV server to 6.4.8. The unit is connected via HDMI to a 16:9 TV.

Before the upgrade, when I would play 4:3 DVD VIDEO_TS files from my server, the extender would display the videos in their correct 4:3 aspect ratio.
After the upgrade, the 4:3 DVD videos are stretched to fill the entire 16:9 screen, and I can't seem to find a setting to fix this.

This is ONLY an issue with DVD VIDEO_TS files. 4:3 quicktime movies function correctly.

Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Have your tried just switching Aspect Ratio modes? Try SOURCE. I believe Sage remembers a different aspect ratio setting for Imported Videos, and DVD's. Playback of VIDEO_TS folders uses the DVD engine, not the Imported Video engine, so it could be set differently.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Well, it was already set to source, but to cover every base I tried switching it to some other settings. My changes don't stick, though. Every time I play a VIDEO_TS folder, the setting switches back to SOURCE, and plays incorrectly. I guess it's looking more and more like a bug.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Sage User

Same here

I was just looking through the forums to post this exact same issue.

The HD100 media extender's default aspect ratio is some version of Fill (possibly Fill A) no matter what I set. I can configure it under the options menu, but it doesn't stick. I've tried setting it to some other mode, and then switching back to "source," but that didn't work either.

This has only been since upgrading firmware.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Sage Icon

I can confirm the same behaviour. We should file a bug report for this.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having the same issue - 4x3 DVD's are forced to widescreen. I asked support about it - and a few other squirrelly issues - and they suggested a scratch reload. Not ready to do that just yet - with the new season stating and recording still working beautifully. There are a few posts here now about quirks that have cropped up with 6.4.8 upgraders. I'll reply back to support that the issues I reported to them are now popping up on the forums from other folks...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Sage User

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion on reloading from scratch. I'll probably do that if I get time over the weekend. I only use Sage to host my videos, and that's the thing that is messed up.

Another thing that is broken is that I've lost a lot of my custom categories when categorizing my videos. The videos that are in those categories are still there, but I have to put them back into "Add Custom." Some built-in ones, like "Sport," are gone as well. Very strange.

Matt
Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Sage User

No luck

I've uninstalled Sage, rebooted, and then re-installed Sage. The problems still exist. Any more advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt
Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Sage User

Very frustrated

So, after three crashes of the HD100 extender in as many days I finally broke down and uninstalled SageTV completely. Then I deleted the directory. After a reboot, I reloaded the newest SageTV and made all of my configuration changes.

I checked the thumbnail display (still horribly slow, even on the server itself), and the aspect ratio setting (still coming up as Fill A, even though Source has been selected). I then restarted SageMC and began the long process of re-inputting all of my meta data for my 600+ movies.

Should I file a bug report, or have other people found ways around this?

I'm seriously considering skipping the meta data input and trying to go back to the previous version of SageTV and extender firmware.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
SageTVaholic

To fix the slow display of thumbnails and cover art you need to go back to the default STV. Go to Detailed Setup->Customize->Inactivity Timeout and OSD AutoHide. Change the value for "User Input Timeout before loading thumbnails" to something lower than 1500ms (in other words 1.5sec before the thumbnails will begin to load). After that's changed you can switch back to SageMC and thumbnails and cover art will load much sooner. 1.5sec is a long time for a UI to do something that should be instantaneous.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you running the SageMC user interface? If you are, try switching back to the default STV and see if the AR problem still occurs. I have been having the same issue with SageMC on my HD100, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. It very well could be a SageMC specific issue.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey folks - I am using the default STV, and have the Aspect Ratio issue (forced full screen on 4x3). It is definitely a 6.4.8 issue, and not a user build issue.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Sage User

Agree

As I said in my post, I had the aspect ratio problems before I put SageMC back on.

The thumbnail update seems to be better. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks again!

Matt