SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Program Time Line Problem

I have a Sage problem in that if a Tv program is still recording and I start watching the program before it completes then the recording starts playing at the end of the recording instead of the beginning. I don't think I had the problem when I first started using Sage, but it showed up about 6 months ago and has not changed with the last few Sage versions or Betas. I am currently on 6.4.8. If I let the recording complete and then play it, the recording starts from the beginning like it should. It is only when the recording has not completed that it starts playing at the end of the time line and not the beginnning. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? BTW this is not an HD PVR problem as I do not use the HD PVR, at least not yet.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 08-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Sage Expert

This is also being discussed in a thread started YESTERDAY: Starting Playback From The Beginning

This is also known as "Time Shifted Playback"

Last edited by Conejo; 08-31-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

I don't believe this topic is the same -- that one is about restarting a semi-watched show; this one is about playing a recording in progress.

What STV is being used here? In the default STV, the recording should always start from the beginning (or last-watched position), unless there is a problem doing so with the recorded file format. If this is a custom STV, it may not do the same thing as the default STV & start a live show at the 'live' time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

The thread linked above is not the problem I am having.

Opus, The only customization I am running is the Caller ID info popup plugin. Could this be causing the problem?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeed View Post
Is there a way for recorded shows to start the playback from the beginning ? Right now if you are recording a show and you are 1/2 way into the recording and you pick it from the menu to watch, it starts where it is in real time vs. at the beginning and then you have to rewind manually to the front.

-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post
I have a Sage problem in that if a Tv program is still recording and I start watching the program before it completes then the recording starts playing at the end of the recording instead of the beginning. [...]
Maybe I'm misinterpreting things again, but I thought they were the same issue.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Maybe I'm misinterpreting things again, but I thought they were the same issue.
I don't know maybe you are right, but with mine and you are recording a 2 hr show and you have 1 1/2 hours recorded and you go to recordings menu and start watching a show it then it does not start at the beginning it starts at the 1 1/2 hour spot. But, and here is another weird thing, to get it back to the beginning all you have to do is hit the skip back button on the control. My skip back button is set to 10 seconds, but it will skip all the way to the beginning (1 1/2 hours in this example). However when you start watching the show after getting it back to the beginning and hit the skip back button it works as normal (10 seconds back). Its just that first back skip after starting the show which will get it back to the beginning of the time line. I have to confess that after Opus asked the question about the STV I was using, I think this problem started about the time I did some customizations. Comskip and caller ID. I have not used comskip for quite some time however, but I still use Caller ID.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Maybe I misread the other one too... but since the video rewinds all the way to the beginning after hitting REW once, then it sounds like an issue playing that particular format. The STV is trying to start it from the beginning, but it isn't working for some reason.

What kind of tuner is is & what is the recording format?

Oh -- and you should try it with an unmodified default STV to see what happens. I'm guessing the same tghing will happen, though.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am using one Hauppauge PVR-150 and three Cats Eye DTA-150 ATSC tuners. The files are all .mpg files. When I can I will reinstall the new 6.4.8 on one of my clients and not add the caller ID to the STV and see what happens.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Sage Expert

If the suspect recordings are only being generated by the Hauppauge PVR-150 then you may want to make sure you've installed the Timeline Registry Fix discussed in this thread:

Corrupt files with PVR500 - SageTV Community

It only applies to the Hauppauge 150 and 500.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
If the suspect recordings are only being generated by the Hauppauge PVR-150 then you may want to make sure you've installed the Timeline Registry Fix discussed in this thread:

Corrupt files with PVR500 - SageTV Community

It only applies to the Hauppauge 150 and 500.
Unfortunately it happens on both the Hauppauge 150 and the ATSC tuners. I played a recording on the server itself a little while ago and the timeline issue is on it also. My server is in a storage room and not usually used for watching TV. It does have a monitor conected so I can If I want to. Whatever is wrong seems to be wrong all over my system.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post
I am using one Hauppauge PVR-150 and three Cats Eye DTA-150 ATSC tuners. The files are all .mpg files. When I can I will reinstall the new 6.4.8 on one of my clients and not add the caller ID to the STV and see what happens.
I meant the exact format... there are some .mpg variations. When this happens, what is listed as the format on the Recording Detail menu?

Anyway... like I said above: since you can hit REW once & end up all the way back to the beginning, I think SageTV is already trying to start from the beginnin so this could be an issue with the file type being played. SageTV may not be able to seek to the beginning properly when playback starts on the recording in progress.

- Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have also seen this problem. For me it happened on .mpg files but I have not tested it on .ts files. I also have not seen the REW part.
Sage Server: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Core2Duo E6300 v1, 4GB, XP Pro SP2, Radeon X1550, Sage 6.6.2, 2 HD-PVR, 2 HDHR 4xOTA, Hauppauge HVR-1600 1xOTA and 2xDish ViP211 Receiver, USB-UIRT, 3x640GB WD6400AAKS, headless
Sage Client: 1xSage HD200 HD Extender
Sage Client: 2xSage STX-HD100 HD Extender
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I meant the exact format... there are some .mpg variations. When this happens, what is listed as the format on the Recording Detail menu?

Anyway... like I said above: since you can hit REW once & end up all the way back to the beginning, I think SageTV is already trying to start from the beginnin so this could be an issue with the file type being played. SageTV may not be able to seek to the beginning properly when playback starts on the recording in progress.

- Andy
I just read your post so I went to my Sage server and the only program I am recording right now is a Fox Business channel show using my Hauppauge PVR-150. I played the show which was about 80% finished recording on my server and sure enough when I started it, it started at the end of the time line and not the beginning. Here is the recording detail for this show: "Format:MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video/6.4Mbps 4:3 480i@29.97fps,MP2/384Kbps@48kHz Stereo]"
I know this happens with my ATSC tuner also because it happens late in the afternoon when I start watching the national news and it has not finished recording. If you need the recording detail from it I can get it this afternoon?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

That's pretty much a standard format that it should work with... I asked about it & was told that a bug crawled into some core code changes & has already been fixed for a future update.

- Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Sage Expert

I get issues when I set my Hauppauge cards to record at the highest bitrate and have settled on BEST 3.0GB/Hr (MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video/3.8Mbps 4:3 480i@29.97fps, MP2/384Kbps@48kHz Stereo])

What happens if you lower the encoding bitrate?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Andy! I will wait for the next update.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

BTW: This update is the one that should fix the issue where some playback starts at the live TV position rather than at the beginning of the recording.

- Andy
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
BTW: This update is the one that should fix the issue where some playback starts at the live TV position rather than at the beginning of the recording.

- Andy
Andy,
My computers don't like this fix! They lockup and crash. I am going back to the old file.

Edit:
To be more accurate it is Sage that crashes not the computer.

Last edited by Steve52; 09-09-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

You exited SageTV (and the service) before replacing the file, right?

And, for any problems with it, use the bug report link in the other topic.

- Andy
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes I exited out of sage before copying the new file to Sage. I will file a report.