SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Updated CPU to dual core and Sage locked my license

Could someone at the support please reset me license. It is really beginning to get annoying that each time i want to update my hardware i have to kneel down to sage... All my recordings got moved into the errant directory.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Is this something specific to the Linux version? I've updated a couple of time on Windows and never had a license issue.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

It is. Although, I don't recall it being tied to CPU. Must have included motherboard too?

B
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

windows, i don't think the licensing checking is a problem there. On linux, it is. I believe this is the third time i am having this problem and it is REALLY pissing me off. I mean, i paid for the software and all i did was update the cpu to a much faster cpu and now my sage is completely dead and i haven't recorded for days. Take make matters worst i am down here in texas hoping to watch some of my recorded shows.... very pissed off right now.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

oohh i also forgot to mention that i did update the bios because linux was reporting unknown manufacture for the cpu. Incase anyone is interested is is the AMD AM2 x2 6000+ cpu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
It is. Although, I don't recall it being tied to CPU. Must have included motherboard too?

B
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage Expert

I don't want to piss you off any further so I'll keep my comments in check, but I do want to point out that this is a USER FORUM. Although the people here can, at times, be helpful, I doubt they can help you with your license issue.

Try contacting SageTV® [ Request Support ]

Edit:
Our Linux-based NasLite2 File Servers use a similar scheme to tie software to specific hardware. Luckily, they have an online webform to re-authenticate the software when I swap out motherboards. It's still a pain but only take seconds once I type in the 32 character key.

Last edited by Conejo; 08-31-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Our Linux-based NasLite2 File Servers use a similar scheme to tie software to specific hardware. Luckily, they have an online webform to re-authenticate the software when I swap out motherboards. It's still a pain but only take seconds once I type in the 32 character key.
why can't sage do something like this... i have seen quiet a few people in somewhat of the same boat like me. Lol, it comes as a shocker when you realize that license is tied to hardware and only too lake upon upgrade.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

A friend of mine ran into the same license issues with Linux. Ironically enough, he's the one that introduced me to sagetv. He couldn't take it anymore... he moved on to MythTV.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

its Monday, and still no response from no one from sage....
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 AM
SageTVaholic

You sent an email? You realize it is a national holiday in the US? Also, if they are open, it's only 7:15AM PDT.

B
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
its Monday, and still no response from no one from sage....
I forwarded your PM. And, remember:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
You realize it is a national holiday in the US? Also, if they are open, it's only 7:15AM PDT.
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanks...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Sage Expert

A suggestion for next time which I got from another user that worked well for me when I recently upgraded my hardware:

If you can, email support a week or two before you plan on doing the hardware upgrade asking them to reset the license. I did that and for unrelated reasons I was unable to do the hardware upgrade right away. The old server continued to work fine. A few weeks later when I was able to upgrade the hardware, I reactivated the license and everything was fine.

I do like the idea of an online form to reset the license though. That would probably also save them expense on support costs.

On a related note, be sure to reactivate the license on the new hardware before you start Sage for the first time. I forgot to do that on my first attempt and it really breaks things (favorites missing, schedules missing, etc). I just copied over another copy of everything from the old drive and activated and things were ok again.

--John
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

I've been told that you should try activating your license again & it should work.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.